What does Christmas mean to you?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, I know. Weird question coming from someone who isn't a Christian huh? But I got to thinking earlier (blame the eggnog) and made one of those "ouch my head hurts" realizations.

I don't celebrate the day, but I still do.
My family and my girlfriends families do celebrate, and so I had dinner with her family yesterday, and dinner with mine today. Gifts were exchanged. I'm in touch with people I haven't talked to in ages. I'm enjoying certain specials that only get played at this time of year, being amused by peoples light displays, and just enjoying things a bit more than usual.

So I realized that even if you don't get in deep with the religious meanings (which there is nothing wrong if you do.) you can still enjoy the season.

So, I ask....Christian and non, what'd you do and what's it mean to you?

(lets not get into history, deep religious meaning, etc please. I stuck this in the B&G for a reason, and not just the easy access to high octane eggnog) ;)

Merry Christmas y'all.

:)

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It means a day off no training, it means time with family and friend. the thing that means the most to me is giving gifts to my childern.

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
To me Christmas means God came near.
He didn't just send a prophet or an angel or a book: He came.
He didn't find out about being hungry or tired or alone because I told Him: He walked it.
He didn't just leave me here to get by as best I can: He's with me.

Christmas means He is Emmanuel: God with us.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We have a big family day of it with an absurd amount of presents and a turkey. It means family and gifts to us.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It means a vacation.

It means that I spend time with friends (yay!) and family (the "yay!" factor comes and goes on this one).

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
This year, for me, Christmas Day was a break from Christmas. I have to admit I'm glad it's over.

I've been looking at Seasonal displays and advertising since just after Hallowe'en. About a week and a half before the Holidays, we were hit with a unusually big snow storm for this time of year and many cold days to follow. Getting around was a pain. With piles of snow on the ground, parking lots shrink, and the thought extra trips to the mall was more than I could stand. (I don't linger in malls, and won't go near really big malls with a gun to my head.)

Over the years my wife and I have agreed to call a halt once we've had enough of the preparations -- if it's too cold to put up outdoor lights, or too late to send cards, then so be it. On Christmas Eve we eat out, so the only big meal is Christmas Day.

Years ago we discovered that none of us is all that crazy about turkey, so we prepare what we're in the mood for. Tonight it was prime rib, mashed potatoes and mixed veggies.

As for gifts, there are certain items -- especially clothes -- that we don't buy for each other unless we're absolutely sure. We'd rather take each other out shopping a couple of days after Christmas.

fireman00

Brown Belt
Reaction score
unfortunately the commercialization has really killed the spirit of Christmas for me over the last 10 to 15 years... it should be a time spent enjoying family and friends and reflecting in the joy of the Saviour's birth and not so much about what's the hottest toy of the year.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
An old close friend of mine sent this to me by e-mail. A poem by Howard Thurman. Mebbe this will answer your question?

The actual meaning of Christmas:
When the song of the angels is stilled,
When the star in the sky is gone,
When the kings and princes are home,
When the shepherds are back with the flocks, then the
work of Christmas begins:
To find the lost,
To heal those broken in spirit,
To feed the hungry,
To release the oppressed,
To rebuild the nations,
To bring peace among all peoples,
To make a little music with the heart...
And to radiate the Light of Christ,
Every day, in every way, in all that we do and in all that we say.
Then the work of Christmas begins.

- Howard Thurman, Poet.​

But for those who choose not to believe in the spiritual aspects of the season. Christmas should still carry the thoughts of giving and caring for those less fortunate. There are millions of starving and homeless people around the world and we who are more fortunate need to do what we can for them. They are our fellow human beings and we are no better than they are just because we have a strong roof over our heads and central heating, a microwave and a working fridge to keep our family's bellies full and content.

As for family. Christmas is a time of year to reaffirm the bonds that make you a family... at least the ones you're close to. Also to try and re-connect with the ones you aren't close to or may have had a falling out with. Can't stay mad at each other forever can you?
Christmas is a good time of year to do that. To be good to each other and to remind us that we need to continue that throughout the next year.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Presents, way too much food, and some dead guy that I think used to sing for Deep Purple.

Live True

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Oddly, not being Christian either, this is one of my favourite holidays. Why? I'm one of those weird folks who likes the hustle and bustle...sorta...I really like the chance to get in touch with folks I haven't seen in a while. People usually make that little extra effort to attend parties or get in touch, and I like that! I like the festivities and fun. I LOVE decorating a tree, and sharing my love with those I know and love...and a few strangers in need. I think, at it's best, it's a chance to see a nicer side to folks...hopefully (I'm NOT talking about the elbow crashing shoppers).

And, I like the fact that people take time to consider thier faith, and who and what is important to them. Hopefully, that is much deeper than the latest game system.

and..silly as it sounds, I llike lying on my back at night, watching the tree limbs reflected off the ceiling, hubby and hot chocolate or tea at my side, and Carols and seasonal songs on the player....simple things at thier best.

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
To me Christmas means God came near.
He didn't just send a prophet or an angel or a book: He came.
He didn't find out about being hungry or tired or alone because I told Him: He walked it.
He didn't just leave me here to get by as best I can: He's with me.

Christmas means He is Emmanuel: God with us.

Well said...

1stJohn1:9

Latest Discussions