What do you wish you could do more in class?

Mazouni

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I wish I could do more freestyle sparring. When I say freestyle sparring I mean is get 3-4 people that attack you at full speed at the same time and you have to control the situation. Problem with doing this is it can be very dangerous.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish I could do more freestyle sparring. When I say freestyle sparring I mean is get 3-4 people that attack you at full speed at the same time and you have to control the situation. Problem with doing this is it can be very dangerous.
If they are trained as well as you, you'll (almost) always lose. There's a lot to learn from that losing, though.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm sorry I don't quite understand your statement.
If you are sparring against 3-4 people who have comparable ability to yourself, then you should lose just about every time.

Think about it - which is easier: defeating 3 opponents or working with a couple of friends to defeat 1 opponent?

Mazouni

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If you are sparring against 3-4 people who have comparable ability to yourself, then you should lose just about every time.

First off might not have a friend with you. Second you can't limit your tanning to only one on one battle because in reality you never know how long battle going to be and don't know how many attackers there going to be.
First off might not have a friend with you. Second you can't limit your tanning to only one on one battle because in reality you never know how long battle going to be and don't know how many attackers there going to be.

Last edited:

Mazouni

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

Think about it - which is easier: defeating 3 opponents or working with a couple of friends to defeat 1 opponent?
You can't limit your tanning to only one on one battle because in reality you never know how long battle going to be and don't know how many attackers there going to be.

Last edited:

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Our Kung fu school is nice and regular with sparring. I would love to do more gymnastic type work. Flips and tricks are less practical, but gymnastics looks fun. I think TKD does more of that, though I'm guessing.
IMHO, no school worth its salt, TKD or otherwise, will teach flipping and tricking. That's XMA, movie-fu BS. I get the occasional person come in where that is all they want. I send them down the street to Joe's House Of Pizza, Karate, And Tumbling.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The "with a friend" was a reference to the opposing group (who, by definition, have a friend). I think most of us see value in training against multiples. The issue comes when those doing the attacking are of comparable skill (even if lesser skill), know our movements (because they've trained in the style), and coordinate their attack (because they know how to cut off your likely movements). They ought to be able to clobber us (whatever that means in the drill) pretty easily most of the time. It's a useful exercise, even when that happens - I did this recently with multiple knife-wielding "attackers". None of us did very well at it - it's hard to even control the situation for long when all they have to do is cut. I had to explain to the students afterward that the result of that exercise shouldn't be a surprise. When we use our full skill, it should be difficult for someone with comparable skill to control more than one of us.

Mazouni

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The "with a friend" was a reference to the opposing group (who, by definition, have a friend). I think most of us see value in training against multiples. The issue comes when those doing the attacking are of comparable skill (even if lesser skill), know our movements (because they've trained in the style), and coordinate their attack (because they know how to cut off your likely movements). They ought to be able to clobber us (whatever that means in the drill) pretty easily most of the time. It's a useful exercise, even when that happens - I did this recently with multiple knife-wielding "attackers". None of us did very well at it - it's hard to even control the situation for long when all they have to do is cut. I had to explain to the students afterward that the result of that exercise shouldn't be a surprise. When we use our full skill, it should be difficult for someone with comparable skill to control more than one of us.
I believe out in the real world your attacker not going to know your skill level first off. Second the chances of you getting in a fight with 3 or 4 martial artist is slim to none. I agree what you are saying it is very difficult.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe out in the real world your attacker not going to know your skill level first off. Second the chances of you getting in a fight with 3 or 4 martial artist is slim to none. I agree what you are saying it is very difficult.
I'm talking about the drill, not real life.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm talking about the drill, not real life.
I am not sure @Mazouni gets the "drill" reference. Speculating but maybe he is used to going more full strength in class. I used to say I had three choices in a confrontation; 1.) to embarrass but not hurt an aggressor, 2.) to harm but not extremely injure an aggressor, 3.) to badly injure an aggressor. Some of that was the ignorance of my youth but there was some truth to it. I don't know how you consistently practice the latter on live partners so "full speed" with 3-4 people coming at you and not inevitably hitting someone with full strength is some serious control. #3 will go into effect sooner or later.

Mazouni

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am not sure @Mazouni gets the "drill" reference. Speculating but maybe he is used to going more full strength in class. I used to say I had three choices in a confrontation; 1.) to embarrass but not hurt an aggressor, 2.) to harm but not extremely injure an aggressor, 3.) to badly injure an aggressor. Some of that was the ignorance of my youth but there was some truth to it. I don't know how you consistently practice the latter on live partners so "full speed" with 3-4 people coming at you and not inevitably hitting someone with full strength is some serious control. #3 will go into effect sooner or later.
I don't do much strength building in class. Sometimes I will do arm conditioning. I'm very practical oriented when it comes to my training, knowing what will work in the real world. In my opinion you have to give an honest attack and honest block in your training. The way you train to in the dojo is the way going to defend yourself out in the real world. Multiple attackers is something I think people need to have understanding because in the real world you can't pick how many people your going to fight. As Steven Seagal said "Never know how long battle going to be you always have to be ready" he also said "Show me what you got when you got nothing left". When fighting 3-4 guys you might be out of breath and it might take 10 mins to defend yourself so you can't neglect multiple attackers out of your training. Sorry if I'm confusing anyone.

Last edited:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't do much strength building in class. Sometimes I will do arm conditioning. I'm very practical oriented when it comes to my training, knowing what will work in the real world. In my opinion you have to give an honest attack and honest block in your training. The way you train to in the dojo is the way going to defend yourself out in the real world. Multiple attackers is something I think people need to have understanding because in the real world you can't pick how many people your going to fight. As Steven Seagal said "Never know how long battle going to be you always have to be ready" he also said "Show me what you got when you got nothing left". When fighting 3-4 guys you might be out of breath and it might take 10 mins to defend yourself so you can't neglect multiple attackers out of your training. Sorry if I'm confusing anyone.
Not confusing, just not very realistic. If your self defense situation last 10 minutes you are doing a lot wrong. That sounds much more like a sparring session. It sounds like you are very focused on your endurance conditioning which is never a bad thing. If you have to truly defend yourself for 10 minutes the odds of time are going to work against you likely to a bad end.

Mazouni

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Not confusing, just not very realistic. If your self defense situation last 10 minutes you are doing a lot wrong. That sounds much more like a sparring session. It sounds like you are very focused on your endurance conditioning which is never a bad thing. If you have to truly defend yourself for 10 minutes the odds of time are going to work against you likely to a bad end.
I agree, most self defense situation last less then a minute I would say. However, I'm looking at the what if possibles so you never known. So it better to be prepared to not prepared.

Last edited:
OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
IMHO, no school worth its salt, TKD or otherwise, will teach flipping and tricking. That's XMA, movie-fu BS. I get the occasional person come in where that is all they want. I send them down the street to Joe's House Of Pizza, Karate, And Tumbling.

Why can't a school teach flipping and tricking, but ALSO teach what you would consider valid? Does the addition of tricks make the other training less valid?

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Why can't a school teach flipping and tricking, but ALSO teach what you would consider valid? Does the addition of tricks make the other training less valid?
Yes. I see it happen at every tournament I judge. Their traditional forms now have the same sloppy BS techniques that XMA teaches. And then they wonder why I give them a 3 when others are giving them a 7 or higher.

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I would like to see more guest instructors from other arts as a drop in. Bi weekly, or monthly to instruct Dan grade type students, and teachers.

Here is an example.
Month one, a semi professional boxer,
light sparing to get used to receiving strikes outside of your own style of striking. And how to deal with guards and head movement of a boxer.

Month two, Judo or D1 Wrestler Coach
teaching high percentage throws and takedowns... and defenses against the same.

Month three FMA, Arnis, etc.
Some basic stick drills.

Month Four, Kali instructor teaching limb destruction.

Month five, Hapkido, Akido, Small Circle Juijtsu or a Tuite teacher sharing principles on joint locking.

And so on.
The more schools in your town, the greater the cross training options.

Also, more seminars like a high profile GM in something like Wally Jay (RIP), or Patrick McCarthy, or Dan Inosanto, or the like...that the school attends.

Also:
I have a deep love for Karate's Gashaku tradition.
This is an art specific thing but has multiple styles attending. So it's not exactly cross training, but more like cross pollinating.

So more of that quarterly, or biannually

Reactions: pdg

Latest Discussions