What do you think of this logo?

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
And heres another...

http://zena.secureforum.com/Znet/zmag/articles/oldalbert19.htm

The Appeal of Conspiracy Theory
NATURALLY CONSPIRACY THEORY and its associated personalistic methodology appeals to prosecutors and lawyers, since they must identify proximate causes and human actors. But why does it appeal to people concerned to change society?

There are a many possible answers that probably all operate, to varying degrees, on people who favor conspiracy theory. First, conspiracy theory is often compelling and the evidence conspiracy theories reveal is often useful. More, description of the detailed entwinements become addictive. One puzzle and then another and another need analysis. Conspiracy theory has the appeal of a mystery--it is dramatic, compelling, vivid, and human. Finally, the desire for retribution helps fuel continuing forays into personal details.

Second, conspiracy theories have manageable implications. They imply that all was well once and that it can be okay again if only the conspirators can be pushed aside. Conspiracy theories therefore explain ills without forcing us to disavow society's underlying institutions. They allow us to admit horrors, and express our indignation and anger without rejecting the basic norms of society. We can even confine our anger to the most blatant perpetrators. That government official or corporate lawyer is bad, but many others are good and the government and law per se are okay. We need to get rid of the bad apples. All this is convenient and seductive. We can reject specific candidates but not government, specific CEOs but not capitalism, specific writers, editors, and even owners of periodicals, but not all mainstream media. We reject some vile manipulators, but not society's basic institutions. We can therefore continue to appeal to the institutions for recognition, status, or payment.

Third, conspiracy theory provides an easy and quick outlet for pent up passion withheld from targets that seem unassailable or that might strike back. This is conspiracy theory turned into scapegoat theory.

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not to sidetrack here, but...

upnorthkyosa said:
I did not know that IAO was the gnostic word for god [...]

There is no "the gnostic word" for God. Gnosticism is a very broad term applied to a wide variety of religious schools in the Mediterranean between 500 BCE and 500 CE. I can assure you that neither the Marcionites, the Valentinians, nor the Manicheans --- the three largest Christian Gnostic sects in history --- used the term 'Iao' to refer to the Divine. Its unlikely they used much Pythagorean symbolism, either.

And, for what its worth, the following is from an endnote on page 300 of Freke and Gandy's The Jesus Mysteries: Was The 'Original Jesus' A Pagan God?:

"When the Jews prepared the Greek version of the Old Testament they translated the unpronounceable name YHVH into Yahaveh (Jehovah) by adding it to the vowels from Adonai. At first this vowel name was probably a secret, but by the first century BCE it was obviously widely known. Diodorus of Sicily in 50 BCE writes: 'Among the Jews, Moyses [sic] referred his laws to the god who is inovked as Iao,' see Book 1.94. The archaic Mystery name of Dionysus in Greece and Italy was 'Iacho,' from which derive 'Iakkos' in Greece and 'Bacchus' in Italy. Iacho, Dunlap suggests, was pronounced with a silent 'ch' as in 'loch'. Whether Iao and Iacho are really related by some distant ancestry is still an underresearched subject, but no doubt such an equation further furnished the Diaspora Jews with another opportunity to prove the antiquity of their religion and to suggest that the Greek Mysteries were derived from them."

On pages 178 to 179, they continue:

"A coin has been found at an archaeological site less than 40 miles from Jerusalem that depicts Jehovah as the founder of the Mysteries of Eleusis [Macchioro, V.D., From Orpheus to Paul]. Indeed, it is a shocking fact that many ancient authors, including Plutarch, Diodorus, Cornelius Labo, Johannes Lydus, and Tacitus, repeatedly identify the god of the Jews with Dionysus [Hengel, M., Jews, Greeks, and Barbarians. Lane-Fox also records the widely held opinion that the Jews were worshippers of Dionysus under another name, see Lane-Fox, R., Pagans and Christians]. One modern scholar comments:

Of all the ancient gods, Dionysus was most persistently associated with the Jewish god of Jerusalem [Hengel, op. cit.]."

It seems to me that, whatever else it may mean, 'Iao' was not the exclusive property of "the Gnostics".

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was actually fishing for your reply with this thread...

Why do you think "they ;)" picked something like this to represent IAO?
Conspiracy Theorists UNITE!!!!

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
I was actually fishing for your reply with this thread...

Why do you think "they ;)" picked something like this to represent IAO?
Conspiracy Theorists UNITE!!!!

Well, let's get somethin' straight here...

In no way, shape, or form am I a "Conspiracy Theorist". :popcorn:

That being said, I'd have to logically conclude that there's not enough information to go on to draw any meaningful inferences about "them".

It could be the authors of this symbolism were Masons and interested in presenting the imagery from their fraternity. Or, it could be that they were history buffs that knew of our Founding Fathers' affinity for such imagery. Or, perhaps they were researchers of Gnostic and Hermetic religion and wanted to use such imagery because of the metaphors it represents. Or, maybe they just saw it on the dollar bill and thought it'd look purty there, too.

It could feasibly by any one of these. We just don't have any other information to go on.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
heretic888 said:
Well, let's get somethin' straight here...

In no way, shape, or form am I a "Conspiracy Theorist". :popcorn:
I was making a joke. The meaning of which was that this logo certainly inflames certain individuals' passions...

Anyway, perhaps it would be interesting to at least explain the symbolry...

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
I was making a joke.

So was I. Thus the popcorn. :p

upnorthkyosa said:
The meaning of which was that this logo certainly inflames certain individuals' passions...

Well, duh. ;)

Makes me wonder, though, if those people feel inflamed whenever they're buying lowfat milk at the 7-11 with their freshly minted one dollar bills...

upnorthkyosa said:
Anyway, perhaps it would be interesting to at least explain the symbolry...

Who, me?

... and is 'symbolry' even a word? Just askin'. :D

T

TonyM.

I'll add to Phoenix44's post. Black is white and white is black.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hanlon's Razor "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

(By the way, UpNorth, you want to know the difference between conspiracy theory and "CONSPIRACY THEORY", type in "Operation Northwoods" in google, and you get page after page of "9/11 HOAX". That's the difference...that belief in one PROVES the other.)

Folks, be careful when using the internet as a source for ANYTHING. Just because some moron has enough free time to spend building a flashy website, certainly doesn't prove anything he says on it while off of his meds is based on anything more than pure fantasy. It's also amazing how many websites will repeat his fantasy, over and over again, until it has the appearance of TRUTH by volume.

Dan G

Green Belt
Reaction score
mmm...

looks like whoever designed the logo hadn't read the Da Vinci Code prequel...

or maybe they had and the designer was having a bit of a laugh at the governments expense...

or maybe it is a vast conspiracy after all...

and I've run out of tin foil...

Dan

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Dan G said:
mmm...

looks like whoever designed the logo hadn't read the Da Vinci Code prequel...

or maybe they had and the designer was having a bit of a laugh at the governments expense...

or maybe it is a vast conspiracy after all...

and I've run out of tin foil...

Dan
My money is on someone having a bit of a chuckle at the lunatic fringe. He probably knew this would put them off their seroquel.

Dan G

Green Belt
Reaction score
sgtmac_46 said:
My money is on someone having a bit of a chuckle at the lunatic fringe. He probably knew this would put them off their seroquel.
I reckon you're right about it being a sly practical joke...

hope so anyway.

Dan

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
Personally, I think the simplest answer is probably the most accurate one...

The author probably just decided to imitate the symbolism on the back of the one dollar bill. No need for ulterior motives or hidden chuckles.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
heretic888 said:
Personally, I think the simplest answer is probably the most accurate one...

The author probably just decided to imitate the symbolism on the back of the one dollar bill. No need for ulterior motives or hidden chuckles.
In all honesty, i'd say you're correct.

On a side note, the thing with imagery that is symbolic of secret conspiracies.....they tend to be kept.....secret. Not plastered all over the internet.

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
sgtmac_46 said:
On a side note, the thing with imagery that is symbolic of secret conspiracies.....they tend to be kept.....secret. Not plastered all over the internet.

Yeah, tell me about it.

I'm suddenly reminded of all the fraudulent "ninjitsu" schools that flitter about the web. They have no problems advertizing themselves on an international communication network, but when questioned about their history or even the claims that they come from Japan, its always "ninja secret" time. Bollocks.

Nobody

Green Belt
Reaction score
:angel: I like how they have made it to have the eye looking at were the Illuminate came from in the symbol.

Actually i think it is a cool symbol it looks nice. What! Whats wrong with it? We control your minds.

HA!

Latest Discussions