What do you think of Jake Mace?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TigerHeart

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I watch plenty of videos on Jake Mace. He seems he knows what he is doing, and he looks like he is very good at it. There are few people calling him a fraud. Really, all his videos are just a lie?

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
never heard of him have you some video and back ground info
I watch plenty of videos on Jake Mace. He seems he knows what he is doing, and he looks like he is very good at it. There are few people calling him a fraud. Really, all his videos are just a lie?

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not ever heard of him but did look up a few videos.
Based on the portions of two videos I viewed...Beware!!

Last edited:

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Yes, his videos are lies. I haven't seen all of his videos, but I've yet to see a good one. His credentials were highly questioned for a long time and were finally exposed for what he really studied. Essentially what he actually studied wasn't as authentic as he claimed. I think he claimed he came from this authentic lineage that started at Shaolin. When it was finally exposed that he didn't, he tried changing his story about what he actually said.

I decided to look past that and look at his video myself. It might look like he knows what he's doing to those not trained in Chinese Martial Arts, but that's not the case. In a lot of his videos he shows many techniques, but he doesn't execute them the way they are meant to be executed. One glaring example I can remember is his wooden dummy work, he lacked structure, fluidity and purpose. There's an older video that I watched of his class sparring, it was horrible. There was no stance, technique, form nor anything that could be interpreted as combative. I've tried looking for the video again but can't find it, I'll post it if I can find it. Look at his video thumbnails on youtube, so many of them are click bait. He's a snake oil salesman that dupes people into believing he's something he's not.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Be careful, fraud busting isn't allowed on MT.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
So, with Jake Mace there is a lot of controversy about his training, mostly due to his teacher being labled a charlatan with no proper lineage in any Chinese Martial Art. Jake has a similar reputation and gains a lot of hate from the CMA community, particularly when he demonstrates his Taijiquan and Baguazhang techniques. Now, it's up to you whether you believe in the controversy or not, and whether you believe he actually was trained in the styles he claims he was, or if he just learned them himself. I honestly couldn't care if his CMA is "authentic" or not, my problem with him is in his self-defence videos. In short, he advices using techniques that are very risky and require a great deal of strength and skill that your average person wouldn't have, making them very dangerous to use.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Not a CMA artist, but have not been impressed with what I've seen. Could be because I don't know what to look for, could be because it's not that impressive. don't see a point in pursuing it further.

Encho

Green Belt
Reaction score
Dear TigerHeart,
I have watched Jake Mace's videos and my critiques are there is a lot of external presentation.over extension, very rigid, collapse kua, shoulders not drop, his Baguazhang stepping is heavy,, not fluid and smooth I do not feel watching him gives off an internal Chinese martial art but more like watching a Karateka who may have studied some Chinese martial arts and is teaching it now. Chinese arts especially internal ones have a more rounded look, more fluidity not so overly extended and stiff.
I am sure Jake is a nice guy a little "Whole foodish new agey" for me though.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
This one is fun too

Jake v. Master Wong

People also talk **** about master wong all the time. I think Jake is a great guy and great athlete but as I say for all these online teachers, martial isn't something you can learn on the internet.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
People also talk **** about master wong all the time. I think Jake is a great guy and great athlete but as I say for all these online teachers, martial isn't something you can learn on the internet.

He's clearly very dedicated and a great role model for someone who wants to get fit and healthy (he's in fantastic shape). I consider him more of a fitness guru who loves Martial Arts than a good Martial Arts instructor. My personal opinion of course.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
He's clearly very dedicated and a great role model for someone who wants to get fit and healthy (he's in fantastic shape). I consider him more of a fitness guru who loves Martial Arts than a good Martial Arts instructor. My personal opinion of course.

Yeah I mean I wouldn't turn down training with either one of them. They both could benefit me greatly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions