What do you think about foot pivoting

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mervin Cook, excellent boxing coach.

The thing about boxing form/structure is its designed for boxing where elbow, knee, and kick attacks aren’t a concern. A lot of the foot positioning exposes the legs for kick attacks or leg takedowns.
Yeah, I'm definitely a fan of him. I never noticed that issue, but most of the people I trained with when we would do 'mma' sparring were judoka, who didn't do many leg takedowns, and not a whole lot of leg kicks. So that might be why.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your advice is interesting. I'll try some twisting jabs. But don't think that the 'non twisting jab' concept is something that a beginner like me pulled out of his butt. I've been taught it. And if you don't believe me, believe the guys in those videos. And, before you get me started with 'duh, youtube videos are useless, listen only to experts', mind that the guys in those videos are experts indeed.

I'm not going to comment on your bodily orifices; what you do with them doesn't concern me in the least, so long as it doesn't bring you into my ER.
However... both of those people are twisting on the jab. Not a great deal, and I will agree that OVER rotation is a bad thing. But they're twisting.
As for them being experts.... I don't know. I don't see anything in those videos to me think they're experts. Just putting "expert" in the name of the gym doesn't really count.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know what you mean!

I'm a beginner and I know only so many techniques. I had mainly cross in mind, perhaps I should have been more specific. But I didn't know that you rotate at jabs as well; I have been taught jab is just an arm extension.
A jab can be executed as just an arm-powered punch (what you describe as "arm extension"), but it can also be powered by legs and body. This gets back to a prior poster's reference to the circumstances mattering. I can throw that jab with minimal power for a number of reasons. I can also deliver significant power in that jab if I want. It just depends.

Interestingly, a similar range applies to the cross (rear straight), though there are very few occasions where I'd choose to deliver it without body and/or leg power behind it (mostly, as weak feints to set something else up).

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe 'jab' is something different at other styles, but, at MMA, it is just a quick arm extension. If you add pivoting, it's a left cross. Maybe that's what you perceive as 'jab'. It's not a bad technique, but it's not what I meant when I said 'jab'.
It sounds like your coach is using some terms in an unusual way. That can make discussion with others more complicated (though it doesn't necessarily say anything about their ability to coach you). Most folks use the term "jab" to refer to a forward-arm straight punch.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That can make discussion with others more complicated (though it doesn't necessarily say anything about their ability to coach you).

It may not say anything about their ability to coach but really we are all thinking it. :D

Latest Discussions