What do you know… I am old

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
But at least it is better than the alternative :D

I guess this post is geared more towards those over 40 but all are welcome, just if you are in your 20s (or younger) expect the “I have leather jackets older than you” comment.... sorry but it IS required :EG: :uhyeah:

It has been awhile since I have done an exercise routine like I am working on now (I actually have time again since I stopped taiji) and something surprised me. I have read as we age out bodies need more time to recover and I did not doubt it, I just didn’t expect it to FORCE me to do it. :idunno:

About 15 years ago I did a much more strenuous routine and I did that 6 to 7 days a week and I felt pretty good. I have been trying to go 6 days a week with Saturdays or Sundays off, although I did not take either off last weekend since I took an evening off (I got the morning workout in) due to a debilitating headache that came on after I took a 30 minute walk at lunch time. But for 2 weeks prior to that I was doing ok, a little fatigued but that is to be expected when you start a new routine.

Now yesterday I could not even get myself out of bed to do any workout, I was late for work and I had a hard time staying awake for most of the day and no workout in the evening either, I did get a walk in however.

But today I am fine and ready to go and feel great actually :bangahead: I wish I was not a work so I could go train, but again this is nothing new I always wish I was not a work so I could go do something, anything, just not sit here most of the day. :banghead:

Me thinkest my body is trying to tell me I need at least 2 days off a week :duh: and I think I am going to listen.

So has any one else found this to be true as you age and how has it effected your train?

jkembry

Black Belt
Reaction score
Xue,

I have the exact same thing. It usually takes about 2 days to fully recover...however since I spent the better part of my 40's becoming a couch potato, I have found that during the past year since beginning MA my recovery time is coming down. I am sure that I will achieve a balance somewhere that fits me if I stick with it long enough.

At 50 years old, I don't mind spending the time recovering. And after recovery, I am always ready to get to the next training session.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I mainly notice that I get injured more easily than I used to and it does take longer to recover. I feel fortunate that I have retained my speed pretty well and stamina.
I see it as moving into a new phase of my career. The ones with the experience become the leaders and teachers. I really miss sparring full out like I used to but the fact is that I can't do that anymore, especially because I can't afford to get hurt with a family and with the workload that I carry.
I also can't weightlift the poundages that I used to so i do lighter weight and more reps.
It took awhile for my mind to realize that my body just wasn't 20 years old anymore. The spirit was stronger than the body. :)

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Xue, don't feel bad. Fact of life and unavoidable at that. It can be prolonged and in some cases delayed by great diets and exercise but aging just happens.
In my younger years I studied MA from whomever could teach me and many of those were browns to black belts. But as the years trudged on I found that many of the things that I USED to do, I cannot. Fortunately I worked on developing my mind in my pre-MA years and found I was able to continue doing so even after pickling it in alcohol and drugs for a season.
Physically, right now I'm in great shape for someone who is 47. But I still can't do what the younger guys/gals around me can do. Even with those in their 30's.
Even my caving has suffered in areas of speed and endurance. I'm getting invited to go on marathon trips that have me internally (mentally) shuddering at the thought. I think it largely also has to do with my current priorities in keeping myself able enough on a daily basis to care for my parents.

You're gonna get old. Don't lament it... celebrate it. Next birthday you have, make it a BLAST!
Then honestly assess yourself and your abilities as of right now and go work out/train/practice/whatever to the limit of those abilities.... getting older sucks and I'm seeing it in my parents who are both in their 80's right now... They're telling me (just by my observation) that I need to start taking care of myself better ... even better than before.

:asian:

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
You're gonna get old. Don't lament it...

I'm not lamenting it, like I said it is better than the alternative, it just shocked me.

Actually for the first time I am actually listening to what my body is telling me, in the past I would ignore it and keep going...which of course lead to torn ligaments, back injuries, sprains, hospital visits and doctor appointments, etc... oh and a trip or two to the ER.

I was just shocked that I was actually shut down by...well... me... I did not expect that but I sure as heck had to listen for a change. And since I can't really call myself out and fight with me to show me I CAN handle it...well I will change the routine and give myself that extra day off...apparently I like to take Wednesdays or Thursdays off as well as a Saturday or Sunday...WHO KNEW :D

Hey maybe the old body just figured out how to shut me up after so many years of me not...aaaa...listening...aaa....to...umm...me :uhyeah:

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
About 19 years ago, I was able to drop down into the spilts, without any warmup stretching. I could train every day, with strong intensity, and feel just fine every morning. Of course, at the time, I felt like a seemingly invincible figure, much like almost any other 18 year old would, too.

I had taken a year and a half off from 2002-2004, since I was still adjusting to a new schedule at the new job, and also had a hard time finding a dojo.

When I finally did start up again, I was 33 years old, still had great flexibility, speed, etc., but I ran into a serious roadblock about 2 months after I had started training.

One day, while stretching fairly aggressively, I finished my routine, and started walking on the dojo floor. After the 4th or 5th step, I heard a series of "pop, pop, pop!" sounds, and felt a shocking pain through my right hip.

Just a strain of the hip flexor, but damn, it was painful! I had to take a couple weeks off from the training, and when I came back, it was embarassing. With my left leg, I could still kick someone in the head. With my right leg, well, I couldn't even kick above the knee.

It took two months before I could kick belt-high again with that leg, even though this was "only" a strained hip flexor.

It wasn't until about five months after that incident, that I was finally able to kick to the head again, and even then, it felt as if my hip were a overloaded rubber band, waiting to snap.

About three years after that incident, I'm finally fully recovered, no grinding noises, and I'm relatively pain-free.

However, it was during those three years, that I had to realize, that I'm not the same 18 year old I once was, and that I had to become a bit wiser. These days, I won't even start stretching, until I've had at least a light warmup session.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm much closer to 40 than 30... and I've definitely been discovering I don't get in shape as easily and injuries take longer to heal...

It ain't fair! I don't think I'm old!

Only one thing... somehow, the 18 year old kid I'm training isn't keeping up with some of the PT...

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I remember my teacher talking to me about his getting older and I was only half listening at the time since I never really expected it would happen to me. Just like now I suppose my younger students half listen to me when I mention it. :)

shihansmurf

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have bad knees to the tune of a couple of knee operation, its really impacted my kicking ability. My right knee is the worst and oddly it has made my left foot kicks weak due to it not functioning well as a support.

As far as the age thing in general goes I didn't realize that I was old until I had the following exchange with one of my soldiers.

"Hey, Sergeant, when did you graduate high school?"

I replied, "1992".

"Wow, really? I was two"

Very painfull.

Mark

P.S. It hurt a lot worse when I realized that he had been born in 1990. That was the year I made Shodan.

Last edited:

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i have bad knees to the tune of a couple of knee operation, its really impacted my kicking ability. My right knee is the worst and oddly it has mede my left foot kicks weark due to it not functioning well as a support.

As far as the age thing in general goes i didn't realize that i was old until i had the following exchange with one of my soldiers.

"hey, sergeant, when did you graduate high school?"

i replied, "1992".

"wow, really? I was two"

very painfull.

Mark

p.s. It hurt a lot worse when i realized that he had been born in 1990. That was the year i made shodan.

lol!

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I have bad knees to the tune of a couple of knee operation, its really impacted my kicking ability. My right knee is the worst and oddly it has made my left foot kicks weak due to it not functioning well as a support.

As far as the age thing in general goes I didn't realize that I was old until I had the following exchange with one of my soldiers.

I replied, "1992".

"Wow, really? I was two"

Very painfull.

Mark

P.S. It hurt a lot worse when I realized that he had been born in 1990. That was the year I made Shodan.

:lol:

Now you see this is why I gave the initial warning about someone 20 or less talking about being old, I really do have leather jackets that are older :)

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
well, I'm 37 so I guess I still rank as a youngster by your definition.

However, I keep a fairly intense workout schedule, sometimes as much a three sessions in the same day, but often two. I guess my strategy is to keep it up as much as possible, and perhaps I can keep going for longer. I think if you get away from it for a while then it's a lot harder to come back to it, as you get older. So I'm trying to just keep going.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yar ... I turn 41 in just a couple weeks.

Over the last year I've been coming to grips with the idea that I won't be able to do head-high jumping/flying kicks for very much longer.

Sniff. Losing Super Powers sucks. :(

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Xue Sheng said:
What do you know… I am old
Well, :duh: But we're always the last to know, eh? :lfao:

Actually for the first time I am actually listening to what my body is telling me, in the past I would ignore it and keep going...which of course lead to torn ligaments, back injuries, sprains, hospital visits and doctor appointments, etc... oh and a trip or two to the ER.

Hey maybe the old body just figured out how to shut me up after so many years of me not...aaaa...listening...aaa....to...umm...me :uhyeah:
That's called growing up. :boing2: Wait, don't hurt me. :D That's a compliment. :highfive:

Shihansmurf said:

I replied, "1992".

"Wow, really? I was two"

Very painfull.

Mark

I work day in and day out with kids born in the 90s--many of whom are bigger than I am, and I'm not small. In our youth-oriented culture, they tend to underestimate anyone with a little gray, so if they push it, I invite them to the MA class, and give them a chance to take my head off. Whatever block/counter I get to use (and yes, I pull it to a large extent) has always been enough to change their minds about 'Old People'.

Now, could I run with them? Not without cartilage in my knees and some foot surgeries (none of which is going to happen). Could I go three rounds with them? No, but I'll face them and any two of their friends (I always check to make sure none of the friends are doing MMA, or anything similar :D), as long as I can do things my way (cheat--anything with referees is off limits ;)).

The last GM I trained with turns 71 on Sunday, and to this day, even though he's got 14 years on me, he's one of the men I'd never want to fight. Now, he doesn't have the weight lifter's physique, he doesn't work out with the class, but if you shake his hand (and he's a small man), you may get back a pulverized mess. And if you can hide, don't ever let him demonstrate on you even though he's pulling 75% of the power. :eye-popping:

Aging means change, yes, but I've found it is mostly good if I look for it. And age is hard-won. I recommend to anyone who'll listen, enjoy it. Yeah, it requires more work, but the increased understanding far outweighs any losses.

The kids I spend my days with sometimes ask, you'd love to be our age again, huh? My answer? :barf:How about in my 20s? NO WAY. 30s? Not on your life. 40s? Not bad, but not as good as the 50s, when I realized I wasn't going to change the world, maybe not even the little one I live in. And I could let go and enjoy. IMHO, life gets better with age, not worse. :asian:

Old guys can ramble, though, so I'll get off the :soapbox:

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
well, I'm 37 so I guess I still rank as a youngster by your definition.

NAH!!!

The deciding factor is if I have leather jackets older than you...and I don't so your more tham welcome to be a geezer like the rest of us :D

However, I keep a fairly intense workout schedule, sometimes as much a three sessions in the same day, but often two. I guess my strategy is to keep it up as much as possible, and perhaps I can keep going for longer. I think if you get away from it for a while then it's a lot harder to come back to it, as you get older. So I'm trying to just keep going.

Good strategy but I didn't do that for various reasons some of which are I got married had kids and got a day job. But I am fairly certain that if I kept it going I would be feeling less fatigue but I am not certain that my body would not have insisted for 2 days off just the same.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The last GM I trained with turns 71 on Sunday, and to this day, even though he's got 14 years on me, he's one of the men I'd never want to fight. Now, he doesn't have the weight lifter's physique, he doesn't work out with the class, but if you shake his hand (and he's a small man), you may get back a pulverized mess. And if you can hide, don't ever let him demonstrate on you even though he's pulling 75% of the power. :eye-popping:

I know what you mean. My kenpo teacher is close to 60, has two hip replacements, served in Vietnam, and had a career in law enforcement including some nasty undercover work. He had plenty of opportunity to find out what really works. The last time he demonstrated a technique involving a shoulder lock on me, I literally thought I was going to lose the whole arm. I thought my shoulder was separating right there, on the spot. And it was tweaked for a couple of months, before I finally got acupuncture and it was able to start healing up again. That is one guy I'd HATE to be on the receiving end of a technique, if he meant it for real.

There is something to be said for solid experience.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
That's called growing up. :boing2:

:xtrmshock WHAT!!! Well I ought a :boxing: :D

Actually I beleive you are correct sir.

And I don't mind the getting old bits it is that whole being a grown-up thing I can do without :uhyeah:

And my taijiquan sifu is in his early 70s, half my size and you could not pay me enough to go all out one on one with him. If for no other reason than he would make it look way to easy.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
NAH!!!

The deciding factor is if I have leather jackets older than you...and I don't so your more tham welcome to be a geezer like the rest of us :D

Ah, I'll join the club then. When do I get my membership card? :rofl:

Good strategy but I didn't do that for various reasons some of which are I got married had kids and got a day job. But I am fairly certain that if I kept it going I would be feeling less fatigue but I am not certain that my body would not have insisted for 2 days off just the same.

yeah, I've got all that too, but no kids. Time off is still a good thing, I got to admit. Sometimes if I push it for too long and don't give myself a rest, I start to get sick. Then it's REALLY hard to build the intensity back up again. Seems like when I get sick nowadays, it hits me harder than it used to...

Latest Discussions