Video breakdowns and analysis

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've been seeing a trend lately of some very knowledgeable individuals posting video analysis of the techniques, tactics, and strategies used by specific fighters in different disciplines (grappling, MMA, boxing, kickboxing). I've been learning a lot from these breakdowns. Anyone else a fan?

Here are some samples that I liked:

BJJ Scout: Dominick Cruz Study Part 1 - Stances, Footwork and Takedowns

Jack Slack: Analysis of Giorgio Petrosyan

Lawrence Kenshin: Analysis of Tyrone Spong's use of angles

BJJ Scout: Ronda Rousey v Sara Mcmann Preview Part 2: Takedowns

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I personally like Stephen Keating's work from Grapplearts.com, Draculino's breakdowns via Poppa Roteze (sp?), and Connection Rio's instructional stuff (their opening music is so relaxing).

The Gracie Breakdown stuff can be pretty entertaining too. Those two have a lot of passion and energy. :)

OP
Tony Dismukes

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, I like instructional videos too, but the analysis of actual fights/matches is something different.

Is the Draculino stuff you're referencing instructional stuff or analysis of matches?

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, I like instructional videos too, but the analysis of actual fights/matches is something different.

Is the Draculino stuff you're referencing instructional stuff or analysis of matches?

Yeah, whoops, didn't properly read the thread title.. :(

Depends. Some stuff is instructional. Some stuff is him reminiscing about his days growing up with the Gracies in Rio. I always enjoy his insight into Bjj.

In terms of fight analysis, I enjoy Uncutsports via Youtube. They're kind of crude, but their commentary is great (IMO).

https://www.youtube.com/user/UncutSports

Last edited by a moderator:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That's some great stuff. Hadn't seen any of those before. I know youtube gets a bad rap at times, but it can be the greatest out-of-dojo resource ever devised. Obviously, have to know what you're seeing and know the source. For instance, in another thread there was a guy throwing chi balls. Heck, everyone knows you only throw chi-balls lefty.

***To any young strikers watching the Dominick Cruz clip - learn your distance before you try crouching, or you will run into the nastiest of things. (at least if you're training with contact.) Not trying to nit pick, just saying.

Those were some sweet vids.

Latest Discussions