What are your opinions on Jake Mace?

Manwithquestions

White Belt
Reaction score
I dont practice Chinese Martial arts but I do practice Karate. I see that theres some controversy on Jake Mace and I was just Curious on what your opinions are :p I'd also like to say Kung Fu looks very practical and I would love to train in it one day :)

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I dont practice Chinese Martial arts but I do practice Karate. I see that theres some controversy on Jake Mace and I was just Curious on what your opinions are :p I'd also like to say Kung Fu looks very practical and I would love to train in it one day :)
This topic was already covered, here's a link

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Jake Mace is..uhh. He is very flexible and appears to be in good shape. That's about all the positives I have on this one.

VPT

Green Belt
Reaction score
I don't believe anyone has ever taught him the stuff that he claims to know. In the world of traditional martial arts, where things depend heavily on informal verbal transmission, it often means that you come up with the stuff by yourself.

You should refer to the previous discussion.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't believe anyone has ever taught him the stuff that he claims to know. In the world of traditional martial arts, where things depend heavily on informal verbal transmission, it often means that you come up with the stuff by yourself.

That's not always a bad thing though. It can be but it can also still be good

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

He was a student of Shaolin-do, headed by Sin The. They had a falling-out and Jake does whatever he wants.

Grandmaster The has made claims about his Shaolin-do that probably cannot be supported, such as he is the current grandmaster of the Shaolin temple. His method was probably a legitimate kuntao before he began making grander claims about it.

mdavidg

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Umm, I follow his gardening channel but his martial arts has never "spoken to me". And, not sure if this makes any difference, but he clearly isn't teaching any longer since he, and his new girlfriend are about to start hopping all over Europe to stay at various permaculture places. And he and her gf have been asking for kickstarter money to help make their dreams of doing this come true. So clearly he's not in the money. Not that this makes any difference but I just don't see him as any kind of a master of Kung Fu at all.

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score
Pretty sure I dropped by his school once while looking for a secondary art. His students were doing some kind of screaming chi kung that looked and sounded ridiculous. I couldn't help myself from laughing and left before they thought I was too rude.

VPT

Green Belt
Reaction score
He was a student of Shaolin-do, headed by Sin The. They had a falling-out and Jake does whatever he wants.

Grandmaster The has made claims about his Shaolin-do that probably cannot be supported, such as he is the current grandmaster of the Shaolin temple. His method was probably a legitimate kuntao before he began making grander claims about it.
I actually put a big effort trying to find that one video of him doing a form that popped up some years ago, but to no avail, couldn't find it. It was... not pretty. In any kind of way.

Finlay

Green Belt
Reaction score
A very low opinion.

Maybe in the past he was duped into studying some fake forms. However he has chosen to continue to fool other people.

His youtube videos are full of 'wow' 'amazing skill' etc.

My favourite is where he pretends to show how to train forms in order to be a forms champion. This , according to him, involves doing a section of the form then doing some chin ups. He then continues with the form and alternates with chin ups.

He is a fool

MFC__2020

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ive watched a fair bit of his stuff. He is a very graceful mover IMO. For me where I was when I came across his videos a lot of his not martial arts martial arts advice was very life changing for me.

MartialHermit8

White Belt
Reaction score
I have nothing against Jake Mace, obviously his Kung Fu looks self-taught, most likely from books, McDojo, or just by watching YouTube videos. However we have to admit that he is in a great physical condition for his age, both being well muscularly developed and possessing good flexibility, and he is encouraging a healthy life style and promoting TMA, so overall he is not that bad.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have nothing against Jake Mace, obviously his Kung Fu looks self-taught, most likely from books, McDojo, or just by watching YouTube videos. However we have to admit that he is in a great physical condition for his age, both being well muscularly developed and possessing good flexibility, and he is encouraging a healthy life style and promoting TMA, so overall he is not that bad.
There's nothing inherently good or bad about promoting TMA. Particularly nothing inherently good if the promoter isn't actually versed in the TMA they promote.

Koryuhoka

Orange Belt
Reaction score
He has some muscles.

But on a serious note, to expect that no one should have anything negative to say about him is a detriment to martial arts. Him and his "teacher" - Sin Kwang The', engaged in a legal battle where Sin had to admit that his "art" - Shaolin-Do, was made up by himself. He had to make this admission, or else, he would not have been able to keep Mace from teaching it. Why would anyone teach it is another sideshow altogether.

Mace is committing fraud. He has convinced people that he is teaching real martial arts, when we all know he is not. He is taking money for something that is not real.

You walk into a restaurant, and there was a display of pictures showing food. You point to what you want, and they bring out a picture of what you ordered and placed it on the table for you to eat. Let me know how it tastes.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You walk into a restaurant, and there was a display of pictures showing food. You point to what you want, and they bring out a picture of what you ordered and placed it on the table for you to eat. Let me know how it tastes.
God, I love that line. :)

Latest Discussions