What are you working on?

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
What area of your training are you currently trying most to improve on? What area really needs the most work? For me, the lead punch has been my main focus for several months, and probably will be for several more to come (in JKD we fight strong side forward, therefore its not really a jab but much more like a rear cross when done properly). It gotten much better recently, but not to where I want it. After that Id probably say the lead hook kick. Same deal, its coming along, but not where Id like it. So where is your focus right now? A punch? Kick? Footwork? Self defense technique? etc....

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good question.

Right now I am focused upon improving the technical proficiency of my boxing. I have a really good DVD series (Christopher Getz's "Ultimate Boxing") that is going into more detail and with more finess than I got in my original training.

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
My deadlifting has really been dragging for the past few months...gotta work on that. My GPP is always a work in progress as well.

Not really MA but certainly area of work...

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
three major points:

forms, forms and more forms. one of my reqs for next level is 50 forms nonstop. gotta polish some, knock the rust off others and learn about a dozen.

iaido. started training in that art about 6 months back and loving it. swords are cool.

cane fighting. getting back into that heavily now that i'm opened a class session on it. can't believe i took so much time off.

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
katas. I have terrible katas. Really. My sparring is okay I guess, I am not unhappy with my sparring, even though I still have a trillion things to learn. I'm going to start doing every kata every day I think. I definitely need to double the quality before I will be allowed to test for brown. But I am barely a green, thats like 8 months off.

Aruden

White Belt
Reaction score
The Clinch Game and ground game, i'm an awful grappler, being tall and thin with a heavy kickboxing background...

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Getting back on the mat to grapple. This is the one area that I've been neglecting, so I'm working on getting in more mat time.

Mike

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
The katas kusanku-sho and kusanku-dai. These two are the ones that need the most finish work right now. At times they still feel a little funny when doing them.

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Generally working on my kenpo jitsu right now. Have my shodan testing next month. Focusing on irimi more than anything I'd say.

Jeff

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
cfr said:
What area of your training are you currently trying most to improve on? What area really needs the most work? For me, the lead punch has been my main focus for several months, and probably will be for several more to come (in JKD we fight strong side forward, therefore its not really a jab but much more like a rear cross when done properly). It gotten much better recently, but not to where I want it. After that Id probably say the lead hook kick. Same deal, its coming along, but not where Id like it. So where is your focus right now? A punch? Kick? Footwork? Self defense technique? etc....

Having 3 major systems that we teach, it's very difficult to focus on everything all of the time so i usually rotate my focus perodically.
I am currently working on extensions to our kenpo self defense techniques. Some have gotten rusty and some were nearly forgotten! :)

OP
C

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
JeffJ said:
Generally working on my kenpo jitsu right now. Have my shodan testing next month. Focusing on irimi more than anything I'd say.

Jeff

Whats a shodan? Whats irimi?

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
shodan is first degree black belt.

Irimi - i think this is right - is a way of entering attack - its an aikido term

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sam said:
shodan is first degree black belt.

Irimi - i think this is right - is a way of entering attack - its an aikido term

What he said. Sorry, I'll use more general terms in the future. Sometimes forget that not everyone uses the same terminology.

Jeff

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
Im attempting to work on this technique of life. Its a real ***** sometimes but there are a lot of good parts too. :D

Honestly, im in the find a new school phase. Aikido seems to be what turns the crack this time around.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Right now, most of my training time is spent working on single stick flow, my front kick, and my empty hand striking speed. I'm also working a lot on my golf swing....

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Working on focusing on the best way to end any conflict (fights). Trying to find the best strikes to use and simple to remember for most situtions.

So far one of them is: Step in..left hand block the "in coming right punch" and right hand palm to attackers jaw (lifting the head backwards).. then rip eyes, and right leg kicking to follow.

My thoughts are always ripping the eyes ...and escaping....

In our Kempo training...we do lots of mulitply strikes and attacks. But It is good to keep it simple and use something that may work for most situtions. ...Aloha

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Power in my left roundhouse kick.

Power in my left cross.

Recognition of attack lines in kali, and flowing into appropriate counters while in free play.

Kali footwork.

Slihn

Purple Belt
Reaction score
cfr said:
What area of your training are you currently trying most to improve on? What area really needs the most work? So where is your focus right now? A punch? Kick? Footwork? Self defense technique? etc....

I am trying to improve my combinations.I have always been a sorta power striker,but I have found that throw three to four hit combos work better against opponets(even though"one hitter quitters" have there place)With combos you can create openings to blast your opponet with devastating attacks.For example the very sample,yet very effective Jab
- Cross- Rear Leg Roundhouse.I know that I have a powerful roundhouse,but that is a technique that most Thai Boxers are overly filimar with(therefor it is hard to connect in the gym).So to connect with it,I throw the Jab(to either distract or stun the opponet),then the cross, mostly to blind the opponet,and finally the roundhouse to cause massive damage.The roundhouse is powerful enough to get the job done itself,but it has a better hit ratio if it is set up first by combos.

The two areas I need to improve on is the (Muay Thai) Clinch and my jab.Im not so good at the clinch at all,when clinching I tend to lean more toward(the choking and takedowns of) Jujitsu grappling(and less toward the(knees and elbows of the) Thai clinch.There is nothing wrong with Jujitsu but I would rather have more than one avenue of approach.

Latest Discussions