Concepts and Stratgies on fighting various types of opponents.

Slihn

Purple Belt
Reaction score
This is a question for the genernal martial artist and it is not aimed at one style,or concept.Every martial art form is different;some style may empahise circular defense teachniques while others learn more toward kicking and punching.
My question is;what are your stratgies in fighting different types of opponets.What may work on a person whose 5'9" and 170 lbs may not work(or has to be variated) on someone 6"7 and 240lbs.By learning stratgies from other style we can all improve our own.Here are a few of mine in facing a taller opponet(I all of this through fighting in the gym and pit fighting,so these are a few of my personalized methods).

When fighting taller opponets.

For fighting taller oppoents grappling is almost inevitable because if you try to stand and box with a taller fighter you will be at a disadvantage because of their reach.In order to compensate for this it is imparitive that you close the gap immediately.This is easier to do if you opponet favors boxing.If so duck under his punches and go for either a single or double leg take down.

If you are in a situation where taking the fight to the ground is unwise,then you must make your opponet come to you.When I fight against taller people in the gym,I almost never rush them straight on(unless it is with a straight blast) to do so would be asking to have a powerful cross to the face.It is wiseable to slip the tallers opponent's straight punches then move in with powerful punching combinations to the midsection (right straight to the body and hooks to the liver);follow those combintaions with low kicks.

If you are not queit adapt to closing the gap with sliping jabs and cross or with grappling you can also "chip away at the edges" this is done by circling to the outside of your opponets lead hand and then blastling him with low kicks(if he is not a rushing opponet);but make sure that he is not a fighting am oppent that utilizes spinning techniques( Especially spinning hook and back kicks);if so this tatic will not be useful.

If he is taller and likes to rush you than utilize the rear leg side kick(is you use the push kick than a taller oppent will most likely be able to reach over your kick with punches,the read leg side kick is more effective because it moves youe head to a safer position.

The are different ways to "chip away at the edges" against a taller opponet ,but the most effective method is closing the gap with grappling,is grappling is unsuitable,attacking the body is the next best method.

I hope these stratgies are useful!

-Good Training!

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, When you kick some one in the shins? ....height doesn't matter.

Step to side and hit the thighs in the middle....size doesn.t matter.

Hitting the kidneys and ribs...reachable. (off course the groin too)

Bending down to grab both legs squeeze together or one w/ shoulder and trip em'...can do.

Most of us train using the same techniques...you make adjustments in all your fights. No two will be the same. No two will react to the same punishment either.....best to escape as soon as possible....if can...Aloha

Should your whole way of fighting change because of size? if very large or very small....maybe...for average or a few inchs up or down? maybe? .....It will be the fight in the other person...that you will need concepts and stratgies....especially if they look like a train fighter. Size here will not matter as much because of their skills you will need to deal with. .......just my thoughts here......Aloha

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
if you have to fight, take the initiative and go right at 'em! Most people posture because they feel they have the advantage (which is why they're picking on you, right?). They hope to get what they want, without a confrontation-- a Bluf! Call them on it!

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I first do my best to determine what I think their advantages are vs. my advantages.
Do they look bigger and stronger than me? do they have a reach advantage?
I base my strategy off of that.
I have found that I do better counter fighting against people that have a reach advantage against me so I use angular footwork when they come in and follow with a counter.
if they are larger but slower I use footwork to keep them moving and off balance.
i try and use a lot of different tools but it is all based off of my assessment of each others strengths.
i do have certain techniques that have worked against most fighters that I fall back on in a pinch.
you also have to be quick to adapt in case your assessment is off! :)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Slihn said:
This is a question for the genernal martial artist and it is not aimed at one style,or concept.Every martial art form is different;some style may empahise circular defense teachniques while others learn more toward kicking and punching.
My question is;what are your stratgies in fighting different types of opponets.What may work on a person whose 5'9" and 170 lbs may not work(or has to be variated) on someone 6"7 and 240lbs.By learning stratgies from other style we can all improve our own.Here are a few of mine in facing a taller opponet(I all of this through fighting in the gym and pit fighting,so these are a few of my personalized methods).

When fighting taller opponets.

For fighting taller oppoents grappling is almost inevitable because if you try to stand and box with a taller fighter you will be at a disadvantage because of their reach.In order to compensate for this it is imparitive that you close the gap immediately.This is easier to do if you opponet favors boxing.If so duck under his punches and go for either a single or double leg take down.

If you are in a situation where taking the fight to the ground is unwise,then you must make your opponet come to you.When I fight against taller people in the gym,I almost never rush them straight on(unless it is with a straight blast) to do so would be asking to have a powerful cross to the face.It is wiseable to slip the tallers opponent's straight punches then move in with powerful punching combinations to the midsection (right straight to the body and hooks to the liver);follow those combintaions with low kicks.

If you are not queit adapt to closing the gap with sliping jabs and cross or with grappling you can also "chip away at the edges" this is done by circling to the outside of your opponets lead hand and then blastling him with low kicks(if he is not a rushing opponet);but make sure that he is not a fighting am oppent that utilizes spinning techniques( Especially spinning hook and back kicks);if so this tatic will not be useful.

If he is taller and likes to rush you than utilize the rear leg side kick(is you use the push kick than a taller oppent will most likely be able to reach over your kick with punches,the read leg side kick is more effective because it moves youe head to a safer position.

The are different ways to "chip away at the edges" against a taller opponet ,but the most effective method is closing the gap with grappling,is grappling is unsuitable,attacking the body is the next best method.

I hope these stratgies are useful!

-Good Training!

I feel that being able to recognize the potential strengths and weaknesses of both you and your opponent are key to surviving. Not fighting their game, but instead, forcing them to fight yours is whats going to help you most IMO. I think that it would be best to base your defense on whats being present to you at the time.

Mike

Robert Lee

Brown Belt
Reaction score
One thing that deturmines how you have to fight. Is the place you will be fighting it may be inside a crowded bar or club. it may be outside. it may be in your home. Less room to move around and tighter quarters you will end up in a clinch groin, knees thigh eyes throat are all targets for a street brawl. A tall person will have reach and most often more weight. But will he be the better fighter. the same areas I mentioned bring the same results tall or short. Then you can move on to ground pound or choke. But he may have a friend You have to end things as fast as you can. In a open area you can use circle movement to enter or defend If you think about hingh kicks You will probably not fare well. You can remember to that if he has hair long enough to pull you can grab it and use it to pull him down into knee head but ect. Good thing is mature people fight much less. But where a person goes decides the type of people that would be there.