What Are We Coming To??

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://health.yahoo.com/news/healthday/pediatricianswantredesignofhotdogscandytocurbkidschoking.html

IMO, its a sad, sad day, when it gets to the point, when we have to start redesigning food so people wont choke! I was listening to the radio today, and this was the topic. I was very glad to hear the hosts commenting on how its the parents, yes the parents, (God forbid we put the blame on them) that need to make sure that a) the kids dont eat hotdogs, b) that the hotdog is cut up well enough, in small bits, and c) that the kid is chewing.

I mean really...we gotta make the hotdog, something thats been around in the same shape, for a long time, into some other shape, because someone chokes. Please. Is it necessary to give the kid a hotdog? How about candy? Short of chopping food into a fine paste, ANY food, has the potential of being a choking hazard. Its not just candy or hotdogs. You could choke on liquid.

Just another excuse for people wanting to pass the buck and not take responsibility for their own actions.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
There's the thing. As a parent, you should be aware of what your kid can eat and what he can't. Our toddler eats pretty much whatever we eat, but if it's something that she could choke on, I chop it up into pieces no bigger than the size of a pea. I'm anal about it.

Other things, like pasta, she can eat bigger bites. And things like graham crackers, she can handle the entire thing. She takes bites.

But in all cases, I'm WATCHING her eat. If she tries to shove too much in her mouth, I stop her. Doesn't matter what she's eating.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There's the thing. As a parent, you should be aware of what your kid can eat and what he can't. Our toddler eats pretty much whatever we eat, but if it's something that she could choke on, I chop it up into pieces no bigger than the size of a pea. I'm anal about it.

Other things, like pasta, she can eat bigger bites. And things like graham crackers, she can handle the entire thing. She takes bites.

But in all cases, I'm WATCHING her eat. If she tries to shove too much in her mouth, I stop her. Doesn't matter what she's eating.

Just what a parent is suppose to do.
I don't get why so many others can't grasp such a basic concept!

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Require all food to be a finely ground paste that is injected directly into the stomach through a surgically mandated food tube at a properly licensed food distributor. Unlicensed eating can be punishable by fine, or imprisonment.

xJOHNx

Purple Belt
Reaction score

That's not being anal. That's being a good parent.

The paranoia around healthy living and prevention is reaching new heights, and it'll probably get worse in the future. I see big stickers on the back of something warning people of fat and everything.

Instead of changing foods, they should advise people to BE AROUND their kids when they eat. And if possible eat at the same time. Children learn more by copying behavior of a parent than by saying.

wushuguy

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hotdogs are serious business. They will kill you in a second and not think twice about it. You have been warned.

Hot Dogs: The Lunch of Death.

that guy must have had other problems... I can't believe a hotdog can be thrown with that much force... the hot dog would break up i'm sure. If hot dogs were that dangerous, then a boxer's right cross is just a joke, I mean, it takes them years to detach a retina.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
that guy must have had other problems... I can't believe a hotdog can be thrown with that much force... the hot dog would break up i'm sure. If hot dogs were that dangerous, then a boxer's right cross is just a joke, I mean, it takes them years to detach a retina.

Probably just being opportunistic.

I'll admit that I've had a piece of hot dog go down the wrong way. They are the perfect size for blocking the airway up real good. Seems like I read a story a while back where they were trying to get the makers to drill a whole in the middle of them, though I'm not sure how that would help if it became lodged sideways. Just gotta chew our food, man.

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
i wish people would realize that very young humans (and little kittens and puppies too) need a lot of supervision more than most people realize. and stop trying to change stuff so they dont have to supervise. People just do your ******* jobs as parents and guardians!!

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
AAARRRGGHHH!!

Just had to let that out.

Okay, choking is a significant hazard ... and it's up to parents to properly supervise their children and what they eat, how fast, etcetera so when they grow up they don't choke on food then either. If they miss it, they miss it.

We can't solve every single ****ing problem there is!!

Latest Discussions