What are the most effective styles of Karate?

Reaction score
I want to know what are the most effective styles of Karate? I know all styles of Karate are effective in there own respective way but in your opinions what are the most effective styles? What style is most devastating and or what are the devastating styles of Karate?

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Effective for what purpose? Winning competition throphies, scoring points, improving fitness, self protection?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to know what are the most effective styles of Karate? I know all styles of Karate are effective in there own respective way but in your opinions what are the most effective styles? What style is most devastating and or what are the devastating styles of Karate?
That's going to vary far more by school than by style.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That's going to vary far more by school than by style.
And purpose of training. A school that concentrates on winning Team Kata competitions isn't going to be the best place for Self Protection, and vice Verda.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Whichever one you practice at every day will be the most effective. If a person enjoys going to the dojo and practicing what they've learned, they will continue going and practice daily. If they do not enjoy going to the dojo, and don't like practicing what they've learned, they will only go intermittently, and will end up dropping out eventually. Pretty much any style of karate will beat someone that has dropped out due to lack of enthusiasm.

The better thing to do, in my opinion, is to investigate fully all of the options in your area, then go and visit all of them. Try and talk to the students and the instructors, then decide which one YOU liked the most. You can always ask the experienced people on here what they think of an individual school, but the most important thing is to find one you will be happy training in.

It can be the most devastatingly effective and brutal style in creation. If you don't like going, it won't do you much good. :)

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

With all due respect, the question cannot be answered. You want to know what style of karate is the 'most devastating' and the only answer possible is 'it depends'.

You are not going to get an answer from anyone that even comes close to answering what you're asking. At most, you will get a rote list of people's favorites, which proves nothing.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Whichever one you practice at every day will be the most effective. If a person enjoys going to the dojo and practicing what they've learned, they will continue going and practice daily.
That's my point, it won't be the most effective the focus is an area that is different to what you want.

You can go to a school that wins lots competitions but that's not going to help you with self protection. Vice Versa a school that focuses primarily on practical self protection isn't going to be the most effective for you if your aim is to score points and win competitions.

OP
BmillerWarrior
Reaction score
let me ask another question. What are the "Hardest Styles" of Karate? Also what styles provide practical self protection? I dont care about tournys or competitions.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
let me ask another question. What are the "Hardest Styles" of Karate?

Again, the answer is 'it depends'. Many styles are known to use hard techniques. Goju Ryu might be one, but so is Isshin Ryu, and Kyukushin. Many others.

I think my question would be why do you want to know? What is it you seek?

The founder of my style (Isshin Ryu) is said to have asked his students which of several empty bottles were the 'best'. His students gave various answers, based on their ability to hold more or less, thicker or thinner glass, stable bases resistant to tipping, usefulness for other things like weapons, even how attractive they were. His answer to them was that there was no one 'best' bottle. They were all perfect for their intended purpose.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
let me ask another question. What are the "Hardest Styles" of Karate? Also what styles provide practical self protection? I dont care about tournys or competitions.
Karate, in general, is fairly "hard". I think the closest we might come to a possible solid answer is Kyokushin. They have a reputation for sparring pretty hard, which is a factor in how "devastating" the resulting skill set will be. There are other styles that can easily be as hard, and there are almost certainly some schools in Shotokan, Isshin, Uechi, Goju, American Freestyle, etc. that are harder than some Kyokushin schools. That's why I said it would vary more by school than by style, though it is true the some styles have a deserved reputation for being a bit harder.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score

What kind of car is the best for racing?

The one with the best driver.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you’re looking for styles of karate to look into, I’d look into Enshin karate, along with what’s been mentioned here. Enshin doesn’t get enough exposure IMO. Think of Kyokushin with elements of Judo thrown in...
That’s intense. Nobody is going to accuse the folks in those competitions of being soft.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Errr... provided the cars are suitable for the type of race, maybe.
Yeah, put the best driver in a ‘77 VW Rabbit, and the second best in a MB C230. Unless there is a huge discrepancy in skill, the best driver will lose badly.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, put the best driver in a ‘77 VW Rabbit, and the second best in a MB C230. Unless there is a huge discrepancy in skill, the best driver will lose badly.
Having gone through a few NASCAR driving schools. Fear is a factor as well as the track. I have seen some people who couldn't get the car going over normal driving speeds due to anxiety and fear when the car itself was capable of doing twice the speed they were traveling on that particular track.
But we were all normal people not pro drivers.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having gone through a few NASCAR driving schools. Fear is a factor as well as the track. I have seen some people who couldn't get the car going over normal driving speeds due to anxiety and fear when the car itself was capable of doing twice the speed they were traveling on that particular track.
But we were all normal people not pro drivers.
Agreed. That's why I added the condition of not having a huge skill discrepancy. If you put me in the C230 and an elite rally driver in the Rabbit, I'm not sure the car is the deciding factor (as long as the Rabbit doesn't break down, and mine never did). But if you put two experienced rally drivers in there, the car will be the deciding factor.

Latest Discussions