Rising Elbow - Bear Hug

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
RISING ELBOW
BEAR HUG FROM BEHIND ARMS PINNED

Step to the right to a horse stance as you do a left hammerfist to the opponent's groin.

Take a left "C" step to get behind the opponent.

Left grab to the groin and rip up into a left rising elbow to the jaw.

Do a right hammerfist to the solar plexus

Thoughts, ideas, additions, variations, etc?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I always liked this tech.

I wonder, if the bad guy picked you up to throw you down, probably sideways, what might be done? It could be too quick to even begin the tech.

Ideas: immediately slam your head backwards to break his nose. Might gain time and prevent him from picking you up.

If he picks you up, wrap your ankles around his lower legs or knees and hook with your feet. This can act to anchor you to him and prevent him from slamming you down. ya gotta be quick or it's too late! Once you anchor, he might just throw you forward on your face, so be prepared to release and break your fall.

Jim Hanna

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I like this technique too. In order for him to pick you up he has to drop lower and lift with his legs. This should give you time to drop into your horse stance, making it more difficult for him to throw. He can however, push you forward. This is where you convert to Driving Elbows, or Rolling Evasion (front break fall, rear kick, leg scissors).

BTW, I've seen a guy lift and try to throw a man down. He ended up on his back with the other guy on top. Good thing I was there.

Jim

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I always liked this tech.

I wonder, if the bad guy picked you up to throw you down, probably sideways, what might be done? It could be too quick to even begin the tech.

Leaping Monkey in 3rd black. When he lefts, kip forward and scissor his legs with yours. When he sets you down, you are in the Rising Elbow position.

Also, doing Rising Elbow, try doing the step around the leg, getting deep into your opponent's knee. As you stand, thrust your hips forward, turn your left palm up, and simultaneously straighten your body (stand) and swing your left straight arm back towards your opponent.

A really nice, easy throw.

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Leaping Monkey in 3rd black. When he lefts, kip forward and scissor his legs with yours. When he sets you down, you are in the Rising Elbow position.

Also, doing Rising Elbow, try doing the step around the leg, getting deep into your opponent's knee. As you stand, thrust your hips forward, turn your left palm up, and simultaneously straighten your body (stand) and swing your left straight arm back towards your opponent.

A really nice, easy throw.

Hi Dave,

Don't know how you feel about this, but at the juncture where your right leg goes back (I take mine back to about 4:30) and pivot clockwise with a right elbow strike to kidney. Then right hand grabs his right shoulder, left hand grabs his wrist/forearm, and Oila! A nice armbar/hip toss.

G

Gary Crawford

hey guys, These are all exellent responses! The thing to remeber about all real life self defense techniques is there are always options and all posibilities need to be explored. I like to stomp the attackers feet in effort to break all those little fragile bones in the top of the foot, as well as a rearward head butt. Just my two cents.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I gotta say, it's nice to have these discussions with a lot of openness to ideas and experimenting, and not holding on for dear life to dogma.

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi Dave,

Don't know how you feel about this, but at the juncture where your right leg goes back (I take mine back to about 4:30) and pivot clockwise with a right elbow strike to kidney. Then right hand grabs his right shoulder, left hand grabs his wrist/forearm, and Oila! A nice armbar/hip toss.

Gotta try that one!