What is your favorite type of gaurd?

AoCAdam

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys just wanted to see what everyone's favorite guard is. Personally I recently just started and my blue belt friend and I were having this conversation the other day. He seems to favor butterfly while I am just getting the hang of most of them. So my question is what is your favorite guard and why?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Nothing fancy here. The main thing, unless I'm working against someone who REALLY likes leg locks, is I don't care for closed guard. I'll open up and create some space.

One of my goals this year is to become more comfortable in half-guard.

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Nothing fancy here. The main thing, unless I'm working against someone who REALLY likes leg locks, is I don't care for closed guard. I'll open up and create some space.

One of my goals this year is to become more comfortable in half-guard.

Same here.

I've been playing with a spider guard lately. It's really fun/active against strikes.

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
open guard.

i really don't like the notion of sub-categorizing varieties of open guard. everything you do with your feet should be a means of attacking your opponent's balance, i don't think it warrants a special name depending on where you do it.

"nice inverted octopus guard, dude!" lol

jf

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like having people in half guard then I can do the infamous anaconda on them!

chav buster

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
i like the sit up guard the best, its very good if you like to stand and fight rather then grapple plus most guys dont really know how to deal with it.

Ybot

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Gee, I don't know that I have a favorite. I use full guard when ever I can get it, then probably work mostly half, and de la riva variations. But really I'm not limited to those, I often use butterfly, sitting up guard, x-guard, and what ever guard the situation calls for.

PurpleParham84

White Belt
Reaction score
It all depends on my opponent, but if I had to choose, my favorite would be between either butterfly/double sleeve control or spider(double sleeve w/ feet in bends of elbows).

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I would say Full Guard for me, Just based on my perspective its a platform for other reversals, submissions etc... To me its all about the basics, then you can have every other type of "fancy named" position on the ground after that, but basics are where its at. lol, but there all good :ultracool

tallgeese

Green Belt
Reaction score
My favorite is the one that's working best against whatever opponant I'm with. That being said, I've become a big fan of the spider guard, it really allows you to control the opponants body and gives you good transitionary options and attacks.

My bail to position is always full guard and work from there.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Full, half, open, butterfly to name a few. Not so thrilled with a few of the rest. I like staying pretty basic and the above four used in combination's are really solid. (at least for me)

SensibleManiac

Black Belt
Reaction score
Rubber guard, I like keeping my opponent in tight and find this guard works very well against stronger opponents.
Either way I find a high, closed guard to be what I use the most.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Cool to see this thread pop back up. I noticed that back in february I said I was working half guard. While I have a couple of low percentage submissions from half guard now, I've really worked on three sweeps that I consider high percentage, to the point that I catch purple belts and even the occasional brown belt with them.

I'm working on 93 guard now... a modified half guard.

Tomu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I enjoy butterfly guard w/underhooks because the sweep that I like the best comes from that position.

teekin

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Spider Guard. I so so want to do more of this and become more effective at attacking from this position.
lori

FierySquidFace

Green Belt
Reaction score
Don't know if I have a favorite per se... I think of the techniques as a toolbox. You use the apropriate tool for the job, that's all.

Latest Discussions