Western Sword Style Cleaning Of A Carbon Steel Blade!

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay this I found interesting.

[yt]JJmWcMoclGw&fmt=18[/yt]

Not what I would do with any of my shinken (Japanese Long Sword) but still interesting to watch!

The Martialist

White Belt
Reaction score
Metal-glo paste will produce faster results, at least for light rust. Break-Free CLP can be used as a preventive. I use these for my carbon-steel swords.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ah, the march of progress. In my youth what we used to use to clean steel was wire-wool :D. Fabulous stuff that lifted away light corrosion as if by magic - I wonder how it would compare with the polyester (blind guess as to material) scrubbing pad?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ah, the march of progress. In my youth what we used to use to clean steel was wire-wool :D. Fabulous stuff that lifted away light corrosion as if by magic - I wonder how it would compare with the polyester (blind guess as to material) scrubbing pad?

Interesting video, but yeah, I actually use a fine grit sandpaper, like 400 or 600, for removing superficial rust.

Ahriman

Green Belt
Reaction score
Angle grinder with wire-wool disk for light corrosion, angle grinder with 400 grit sandpaper disk for medium corrosion and angle grinder with 120 grit flap disk for the "is THIS a sword???" cases. Angle grinder with 200 grit sandpaper disk for light nicks, 60 grip flap disk for medium nicks and 40 grit flap disk for the worst cases - when it would be simpler to just make a new sword.
Very quick, very good results as long as you can use an angle grinder well. Otherwise stay away from abrasives... :D
You could never guess that I grew up with an angle grinder... :angel:

Video was interesting, but I wouldn't have the patience to do this with my personal swords.

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I use the scotch-brite and oil method as well, pretty much what's shown in the vid. It works really, really well. For light nicks and dents, coarse sandpaper is better than a file. No sense taking off more metal than you need to.

Good vid, that's how it's done. :)

Best regards,

-Mark

Latest Discussions