Sword cleaning

B

Battousai

On cleaning a sword, I have a high carbon chromium alloy (spring steel) sword, and just touching it can corrode it. I've been cleaning it with mineral oil (choji oil) after almost every use, but it still gets some very small corrosion marks on it, is there something better then mineral oil for spring steel? And is their a good cheap way of removing small corrosion marks?
Thanks for any input.

OP
D

Despairbear

Well it kinda depends on what you are willing to do to your sword. You can use a metal polish that will leave a "coating" on youe blade that will keep corosion off it, but I do not know what you plan on doing with your blade and if that would interfear. Also try not to store the blade in the scabbard for long leangths of time for the scabard will hold in moisture and corode the blade. What do you use the sword for?

Despair Bear

OP
B

Battousai

Hi Despair Bear)
I use it mainly for Iai. Do you think coating will affect the Noto sheathing? One of the warnings I've heard about the saya is that the sword should be stored in it since its a wooden scabbard and it will warp if the sword isn't in it. I'm using WD40 alot now, hopefully that can help cut down moisture inside the sheath?

Thanks for the help)

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You might try either a silicon spray or mineral oil. I'm not sure, but I think they would both last longer than WD40. WD40 seems to evaporate faster. I've had good luck with mineral oil in the past.

OP
D

Despairbear

WD-40 is nothing more than desented turpintine and evaporates rather quickly. I have used mineral oil in the past and it seems to work well but needs to be re-apllyed often. Crome polish will add a coating to the metal that can be wiped off if need be but I dont know what it would do to a wood scabard. Warping of the wood? I have never heard of that which does not mean it is not true but I would think that your wood would warp sword or no sword, but that is just a thought.

Despair Bear

OP
B

Battousai

I don't have hardly any experience with wood scabbards either. I guess from what I gathered about them is that without the sword in the sheath the sheath can warp so that the sword will not fit very well. Probabily something that takes a year or more, I don't know.

OP
I

islandtime

Originally posted by Battousai

On cleaning a sword, I have a high carbon chromium alloy (spring steel) sword, and just touching it can corrode it. I've been cleaning it with mineral oil (choji oil) after almost every use, but it still gets some very small corrosion marks on it, is there something better then mineral oil for spring steel? And is their a good cheap way of removing small corrosion marks?
Thanks for any input.
\

Try break-free or any other of the new gun cleaning lubricants.

Choji old was fine untill something better came along ,so use break free as a regular cleaner and the the traditional cleaning methods once in a while for the ritual.

Gene Gabel