Weird fainting feeling during training

tamir302

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi all, I wanted to share an experience I had- maybe someone can relate or share their own similar experience.

I started practicing Wing Chun a few months ago, and a couple months ago we started to train in a kind of punching drills: The group splits into two rows: one holding training pads(sorry, not sure how it's called in English), and the people in front of them punch, kick etc, one after another. into the pads. Afterward, the rows change places.

So anyway, There are two really big and strong guys in my group, and when they punch me- this is when the problem begins. It always feels quite painful (although I'm holding the pad). and their punches/ kicks throw me away. The thing is- a couple of times already, after these guys hit me like this, and the other guys in the group come after them and punch as well, I gradually start to feel really bad. It's a weakness, dizziness and almost fainting feeling that forces to stop the training, sit for a few minutes until it passes.

This kind of feelings doesn't occur when other, not so strong guys hit me. Nor does it happen in the more aerobic part when I'm the one who's doing the hitting.

Has anyone experienced anything like it? Can getting hit through the pads cause it? I never took a blow to head or anything.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
My first guess would be that you're holding your breath.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Or some type of inner ear from the vibrations from the strikes

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm quite positive I am.

Ask your instructor to verify your breathing. I hear answers like that from students all the time. They're positive too. On occasion, I've had to video them to prove that I'm not hallucinating.

Or some type of inner ear from the vibrations from the strikes

I'm going to say that any blow to the body, especially through pads, that could affect the inner ear would result in a lot of direct trauma to the impact area first.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm going to say that any blow to the body, especially through pads, that could affect the inner ear would result in a lot of direct trauma to the impact area first.
True I was thinking more repeated small blows over and over causing vibrations to cause a headache but IM NOT in the medical field so what do I know someone already took my holding your breath answer

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
True I was thinking more repeated small blows over and over causing vibrations to cause a headache but IM NOT in the medical field so what do I know someone already took my holding your breath answer

You could post a "Me too!" breath holding answer...

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I do know if I take alot of repeated hard hits to the pads i get a headache but I also get really bad headaches if I spin too fast like spinning back kicks or roller coasters

OP
T

tamir302

White Belt
Reaction score
Dirty Dog, I meant I do think I tend to hold my breath and get all tensed up when they hit me.
What can be done about it? it's hard to breath normally/ relax when a 220.5 pounds guy punches the hell out of you.

I did suffer vertigo episodes in the past (due to bad neck), but this kind of feeling is really not that similar, with this weakness almost fainting feeling I experience.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Dirty Dog, I meant I do think I tend to hold my breath and get all tensed up when they hit me.
What can be done about it? it's hard to breath normally/ relax when a 220.5 pounds guy punches the hell out of you.

I did suffer vertigo episodes in the past (due to bad neck), but this kind of feeling is really not that similar, with this weakness almost fainting feeling I experience.

My apologies for misunderstanding you, then.

There's only one way to fix it. Practice.
Focus on your breathing. As the bag is hit, exhale as if you were doing the striking yourself.
Also, I think it's a mistake to think that holding the bag means you don't move. I teach students to move with the power when they're struck, and that includes when they're holding a pad. I'd say you should be starting in a good solid stance with your weight on the front leg. When you're hit, exhale and let your weight shift to the rear. If you need to, take a step back even.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
See if you have a more absorbent pads available, keep you knees bent and try not to hold your position to solid. When I have a heavy hitting training partner, I don't try and take the full impact, if they have to wait an extra second between kicks as I get back into position so be it.

Are yo talking mitts or body pad? (larger one where you hold the straps at the back with both arms?)

Also, I've noticed that some people push forward at the last second of impact for some reason and it can cause your arms to flick back and get you in the chest slightly winding you.

These are my experiences, so along with the breathing, check you holding methods as well.

Elbowgrease

Green Belt
Reaction score
I second the motion to breathe.
And also to move a bit when you take the impact. Whether you shift the weight or maybe rotate, whatever. But don't lock up. I think part of the training is to stay calm and breathe and let your body move the same as it would if you were doing the hitting, even if it's a really big guy on the other side.
But that is just my opinion.

OP
T

tamir302

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies.
You talked about moving and changing weight when being hit. But the thing is, when I'm being kicked or struck with the elbow (it's a body pad) I usually get thrown back, something like half a yard back. I guess it's also makes it difficult to breath properly. .

Reeksta

Green Belt
Reaction score
Right, you REALLY need to go and see your doctor before you go back to training. Hopefully the feelings your getting are just a result of the breathing issues as has been suggested, but there's a small chance it could be something more serious. It is not worth taking that risk. Get it checked out ASAP

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies.
You talked about moving and changing weight when being hit. But the thing is, when I'm being kicked or struck with the elbow (it's a body pad) I usually get thrown back, something like half a yard back. I guess it's also makes it difficult to breath properly. .

It's not unusual to be knocked back, I generally hold the pad to the side with slightly bent leg at front. And after impact I cross step back. But some people hold the pad front on.

As far as holding technique, check out some youtube searches on holding a kick pad for some ideas to work with. Or maybe ask your instructor for some tips, assuming you have not done this already.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
You should talk to your doctor to rule out any medical condition that may be causing it such as low blood sugar. The punching may be just exacerbating the symptoms and not causing them..

Shai Hulud

Purple Belt
Reaction score
You're holding your breath. I used to have this problem. Immediate advice: Tense up and simultaneously give out a sharp exhale with a "hiss". It's a more convenient way to brace for a hit.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You're holding your breath. I used to have this problem. Immediate advice: Tense up and simultaneously give out a sharp exhale with a "hiss". It's a more convenient way to brace for a hit.
... and then immediately relax and go back to normal breathing once you've absorbed the hit.