Jaw pain after pad work

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So I had training tonight and we were doing high kicks and I was holding the pads and I think I must've had my positioning wrong or something because when my partner hit the mitts my hands moved towards to hard and fast but I don't think they hit my face but it caused a ringing in my ear and now after I got home my jaws hurting when I eat but the weird thing is it's hurting on the other side not the side near where the pads were so its a bit confusing to me anyone know what it could be? It's not a major issue and I'm sure it'll go by tomorrow but just confused me and it hurts like hell

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sounds like you got kick in the head lol.. If you didn't get kicked in the head then the only thing I can think of is that ringing is from the sound of the foot hitting the pad and the jaw hurting could have been you tensing up your facial muscles in a way that caused muscle issues when impact was made.

Other that it seems like you got kicked in the jaw I can only assume that the pad was close to your head.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
You got hit by the pad you were wearing. You should feel fine after a few days, sounds like a nerve got hit.

OP
Kickboxer101

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like you got kick in the head lol.. If you didn't get kicked in the head then the only thing I can think of is that ringing is from the sound of the foot hitting the pad and the jaw hurting could have been you tensing up your facial muscles in a way that caused muscle issues when impact was made.

Other that it seems like you got kicked in the jaw I can only assume that the pad was close to your head.
Yeah could be makes sense

OP
Kickboxer101

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You got hit by the pad you were wearing. You should feel fine after a few days, sounds like a nerve got hit.
Yes but it's the other side that's hurting not the side that could've gotten hit

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score

Yes but it's the other side that's hurting not the side that could've gotten hit

In that case I have no idea. Are you sure it's not happening from some other cause? Maybe cavity or some sort of tooth problem?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
More than likely, your jaw is out of alignment.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing you're clenching your jaw. Take some sort of anti-inflammatory. If it continues to happen, go see a dentist to check for things like TMJ dysfunction. You can also try wearing your mouth guard. It's not exactly the same as the gizmos used to treat things like TMJ dysfunction, but similar.

OP
Kickboxer101

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks guys seems to be feeling a bit better now still a bit sore but eating doesn't hurt now probably just jolted it a little

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's best to go to a dentist specializing in TMJ, or a good Chiro, otherwise - you are listening to some guy on the internet. And we all know how bright that is. But we've dealt with this a lot of the years, it happens. So, for entertainment purposes only -

Press your tongue to the roof of your mouth, open your mouth fairly wide - keeping your tongue there, and breathe in nice and slow for two or three counts and out nice and slow for two or three counts. Release and repeat 10 times.

Then, with your mouth closed and relaxed, make a fist and place it directly under your chin, keeping the fist even and comfortable underneath. Press as you gently try to open your jaw. It's an isometric, should relax the jaw bone a little. Don't let your jaw "click" while doing this - if it's been clicking since you first hurt it. Hold for 10 seconds. Release and repeat 10 times.

Next part - put your fist against the side of your jaw (lower than the hinge) and keep a steady pressure - don't allow your jaw to move with the pressure. (it's another isometric, helps relax the jaw) Hold for 10 seconds and relax. Do it ten times, then repeat on the other side of your jaw.

Using both hands, press one finger against each side of your jaw. (be careful to apply pressure evenly). Open the jaw very slowly (again, don't let it click. If it does click, let go and start again, opening more slowly. The even pressure on each side should let your jaw open and close in correct alignment.

Once your jaw is realigned - keeping your jaw and mouth loose, hold your chin between your thumb and forefinger. Very carefully and slowly, staying loosey-goosey, shake your chin back and forth (NOT TOO FAR), allowing the jaw to relax and release. If this exercise causes pain - STOP. Continue until your jaw feels loose and relaxed. Do once a day (or more) to align your jaw. Usually, your jaw muscles employ muscle memory fairly quickly (they don't like being hurt either) and go to the relaxed positions on their own.

Good luck, bro. Hope it all works out.

Latest Discussions