Weights before fighting?

GiannisMalkavian

White Belt
Reaction score
Now... Would weightlifting a bit before starting a fight be good for the muscles?
I don't find this a good idea, because it would cause quick exhaustion and maybe muscle wounding, however I've heard people doing this as a part of their warm up before sparring. Yeah I know training is training and sparring for practice is different than fighting an exhausting fight in order to win. But how does it affect fighting in general? Is there by any chance it would result well?

Kframe

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think what there trying to achieve is called "pump". You don't have to wear your muscles out to achieve it, though you do need some high weight low rep work to make it happen. The reason they want the "pump" is because it increases the size of the muscle, and theoretically increased muscle size equals more strength. At least that is what my own looking into this has come up with.

Probably not a good idea, because why would you need more strength in sparring? Are you going Full out?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pumping your muscles up before a fight won't make them any stronger; body builders do it because it makes their muscles bigger and show more. But a little light resistance work as a warm up (some pushups, maybe some punching with a weighted glove a bit heavier than you use for the fight or light reps with dumbbells) can be fine. The key is to figure out what sort of warm up gets you ready, but doesn't tire you out before the fight.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now... Would weightlifting a bit before starting a fight be good for the muscles?
I don't find this a good idea, because it would cause quick exhaustion and maybe muscle wounding, however I've heard people doing this as a part of their warm up before sparring. Yeah I know training is training and sparring for practice is different than fighting an exhausting fight in order to win. But how does it affect fighting in general? Is there by any chance it would result well?

IMO, I wouldn't do too much, if anything at all. JKS mentioned some push ups, which I'd say would be better than lifting. Speaking only from my experience, but there have been many times, during my Kyokushin class, that we'll do our conditioning exercises, hit the bag, and then he has us spar. Needless to say, we're exhausted before and even moreso afterwards. As for tournament fighting...I haven't seen anyone doing anything other than some shadow boxing, maybe some light pad work, but that's about it.

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I would imagine you wouldn't want to get your muscles real tense before a fight, either - or you'll have trouble staying relaxed, and your speed will suffer.

Latest Discussions