Protein Supplements and WC

Hong Kong Pooey

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It's something I know very little about, hence the question.

There appear to be many, many products out there but I don't know if any of them are a good idea or not. Any of you guys ever use anything like this and is/was it beneficial to your WC in the long run?

I'm not looking to bulk up but would like something that could assist with losing a little flab around the middle, speed, stamina & muscle fatigue to enable me to perform better & longer in class and my legs not to hurt the day after, if possible.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd recommend reading the fitness FAQ on Reddit. It has really good information to help with understanding what your really asking for and refine your goals. For example, how to cut before you look to bulk etc. and sound advice on how to do it.

index - Fitness

I have body sculptures and builders in our extended family, and they suggested reading this as a good start as it's quite comprehensive.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you eat a well balanced diet, then all these supplements are nothing more than a way to make expensive urine.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's what the fitness FAQ is about, how to balance the diet, and there is the detail behind it for people that are interested or want to take a first look at how to do that.

Supplements have it's place, if your lacking in something. And can be used to assist in achieving different things. Just need to understand what the goal is.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's a heckuva FAQ.

Strenuous activity quells the appetite of some people, including myself. I'm not one for processed foods, but I can gulp down a protein gel during times I couled not necessarily eat a can of tuna.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah after a workout instead of pizza would do wonders. Anecdotely it helps with soreness and recovery. Most of our fighters are on some sort of protein powder.

The trend at my gym is to get as basic a product as possible. With as little sugar as possible. So unflavoured whey or pea protein.

Pea protein tastes like *** by the way. But it does not have lactose.

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Strange thread. IMO no necessary relationship between wing chun and protein supplements.

OP
Hong Kong Pooey

Hong Kong Pooey

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Strange thread. IMO no necessary relationship between wing chun and protein supplements.

When you say 'no necessary relationship' do you think they are detrimental to someone learning WC or just irrelevant?

OP
Hong Kong Pooey

Hong Kong Pooey

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yeah after a workout instead of pizza would do wonders. Anecdotely it helps with soreness and recovery. Most of our fighters are on some sort of protein powder.

The trend at my gym is to get as basic a product as possible. With as little sugar as possible. So unflavoured whey or pea protein.

Pea protein tastes like *** by the way. But it does not have lactose.

Definitely no pea protein for me then, I'm not drinking anything that tastes like ***.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think it depends on how much training a person is doing, and how intense the training is.....as well as diet. If the training has exercises that are breaking down muscle fiber, such as weight training, or crazy high reps of things, additional protein to your normal diet can be beneficial. If that's the case, and protein powder is used, it is better utilized by the body if ingested right after the workout.

But if you don't have a good diet - you're making your body work harder, heal slower and putting it at risk. Using protein supplements in place of a well balanced diet may be more convenient, but isn't the way to go.

Pizza, by the way, is not a food. It's a medicine. So it's okay at any time of the day or night.

OP
Hong Kong Pooey

Hong Kong Pooey

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think it depends on how much training a person is doing, and how intense the training is.....as well as diet. If the training has exercises that are breaking down muscle fiber, such as weight training, or crazy high reps of things, additional protein to your normal diet can be beneficial. If that's the case, and protein powder is used, it is better utilized by the body if ingested right after the workout.

But if you don't have a good diet - you're making your body work harder, heal slower and putting it at risk. Using protein supplements in place of a well balanced diet may be more convenient, but isn't the way to go.

Pizza, by the way, is not a food. It's a medicine. So it's okay at any time of the day or night.

Well we don't lift weights in training, but repetition is definitely a consistent theme.

The thing with diet is that for me time is limited and there's only so much of it that I'm going to devote to buying & preparing food, so I guess I'm looking for a bit of a cheat. I don't have a terrible diet by any means, but there's no doubt it could be better if I had the time and inclination. But I don't right now.

There are a couple of guys in my class who do take protein supplements of various descriptions which is what got me thinking about it, but while they may be the strongest there they are also the stiffest, so I'm not convinced it's the way forward for me.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well we don't lift weights in training, but repetition is definitely a consistent theme.

The thing with diet is that for me time is limited and there's only so much of it that I'm going to devote to buying & preparing food, so I guess I'm looking for a bit of a cheat. I don't have a terrible diet by any means, but there's no doubt it could be better if I had the time and inclination. But I don't right now.

There are a couple of guys in my class who do take protein supplements of various descriptions which is what got me thinking about it, but while they may be the strongest there they are also the stiffest, so I'm not convinced it's the way forward for me.

You are not going to explode into the hulk by taking protein. There are some other factors involved.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe start by doing something fairly simple and track you eating habits using something like myfitnesspal, if only just to get an understanding of what is not balanced in your diet. You'd be surprised what shows up, and what is reveal in your eating if you pay attention to it.

Latest Discussions