Heavy Armour

Lances, Javelins, & Spikes

The Shield

The LongBow

Last edited by a moderator:

Hong Kong Pooey

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Bob, I like Mike Loades and not sure if I've seen all of these. I'll be working my way through them now I know they're here :)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
They spend an awful lot of time in those videos on things that are more fancy than functional (especially the armor - Maximillian armor is 15 C and it's debatable if 15 C and "Medieval" should be used in the same sentence...) but overall good stuff.

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i've always loved the longbow and i admire the guys that used them immensely :)

i've got a 25lb recurve bow and that takes an awful lot of pulling :( but the longbow's that were in use were upwards of a 90lb pull -- no wonder they didn't need to be near the centre of the battlefield :)

i just wonder how big the guys were that were using longbows - they must have been huge either that or technique was really impressive :)

one other weapon that i will add to the list but it's more of a newage weapon is the Enfield rifle - think that it was voted one of the best in it's class in it's day :)

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i've always loved the longbow and i admire the guys that used them immensely :)

i've got a 25lb recurve bow and that takes an awful lot of pulling :( but the longbow's that were in use were upwards of a 90lb pull -- no wonder they didn't need to be near the centre of the battlefield :)

i just wonder how big the guys were that were using longbows - they must have been huge either that or technique was really impressive :)

one other weapon that i will add to the list but it's more of a newage weapon is the Enfield rifle - think that it was voted one of the best in it's class in it's day :)

As far as I know the archers over developed the muscles in the drawing arm. Either way, long bowman were seen as vermin. They were rather dirty as the enemy closed them down and did what ever they needed to do as a necessity.

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As far as I know the archers over developed the muscles in the drawing arm. Either way, long bowman were seen as vermin. They were rather dirty as the enemy closed them down and did what ever they needed to do as a necessity.

and ????? they were at war - s^%t happens ;) you do anything to protect you and your friends whilst getting the job done by any means necessary :) also that was also a time up great upheaval and turmoil in the political classes so backstabbing and skullduggery were the norm :)

all is not lost in love and war ---- you win some, you lose some - who really gives a tuk about how the battle was fought so long as you won ;)

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and ????? they were at war - s^%t happens ;) you do anything to protect you and your friends whilst getting the job done by any means necessary :) also that was also a time up great upheaval and turmoil in the political classes so backstabbing and skullduggery were the norm :)

all is not lost in love and war ---- you win some, you lose some - who really gives a tuk about how the battle was fought so long as you won ;)

The English and Welsh Archers for one!

Henry made a speech emphasizing the justness of his cause, and reminding his army of previous great defeats the kings of England had inflicted on the French. The Burgundian sources have him concluding the speech by telling his men that the French had boasted that they would cut off two fingers from the right hand of every archer, so that he could never draw a longbow again. Whether this was true is open to question; as previously noted, death was the normal fate of any soldier who could not be ransomed.

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i read about where they cut off the fingers of captured archers and always believed it to be real --- but that statement seems to contradict what i was told :/

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like the big swords, nice heavy weapon it always gives a nice good feeling when I knock someone's weapon out there hand in weapon sparring. All moves and attacks carefully and with control but when they drop the weapon pow pow pow bam!

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
tbh i don't think that there is anything remotely like the level of medieval battle anymore. from what i've seen of weapons drills and stuff it's about scoring points not hacking people to death or shoving a lance through them like a spit roast or pouring the burning fluids on them and seeing them burn to death from what we would now call napalm injuries..............

war these days is not really any fun is it ????? i mean where's the up close and personal bit gone ????? it's all long range - i can kill him from 500yards easy etc........ or quarter mile if you're using a 50cal..........

bring back the medieval philosophy of war and the weaponry that was used :) it'd make a lot of countries think twice before getting involved in another afghanistan that's for sure :)

Hong Kong Pooey

Blue Belt
Reaction score

I seem to remember watching a programme where they dug up a medieval longbowman's skeleton (legally) and there was a huge discrepancy in the bone density of the arms due to practicing the bow

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
To me scoring points is boring, just hand me a sword... Full contact sparring not sport the reason why sport isn't important to me is cause I just don't care about win or lose. I don't plan on hurting anybody... Well besides bruises

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The cutting off of the fingers is a myth, it's never been recorded. Modern warfare is every bit as bloody and nasty as it's ever been, there's still hand to hand warfare, bayonets have been drawn and used in Afghan. I can point you to any amount of soldiers without limbs to prove my point.
Donna, take a trip up to the Royal Armouries Leeds, it's well worth a visit, plus it's free. A lot of historical information there as befits such an organisation.

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The cutting off of the fingers is a myth, it's never been recorded. Modern warfare is every bit as bloody and nasty as it's ever been, there's still hand to hand warfare, bayonets have been drawn and used in Afghan. I can point you to any amount of soldiers without limbs to prove my point.
Donna, take a trip up to the Royal Armouries Leeds, it's well worth a visit, plus it's free. A lot of historical information there as befits such an organisation.

i've been to most of the museums at one point or another and i find them seriously fascinating :) helps that my neice and my nephew love re-enacting scenes whilst they're there :)

i'll go back and take the sproggs with me :) make a decent day out for them :) money isn't important bt being as it's free it's got to be a good thing :)

thankyou for the idea :)

caped crusader

Brown Belt
Reaction score
now this was a sword. i grew up here and was at the monument a few times looking at the sword. If it´s actually his original sword can´t say.

Latest Discussions