Weapons: Belt and pepper spray

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Personally, I'd go to wal-mart or a hardware-store and spend $20 or $30 bucks for a decent knife. It may not be "ideal" but it will work.

OC sprays have their place but I wouldn't trust them to stop a committed attack (I've been sprayed, and yes, it sucks, but it's not an instant stop by any means).

I'm personally kind of skeptical as to the effectiveness of a belt. First you have to deploy it which is going to take a couple of seconds (more if you carry anything on your belt (flashlight, cell-phone, PDA, whatever). In that amount of time, the guy's already going to be on you.

If you don't have a the money for the knife, I'd buy a Mini-Mag-Light $10 in most places. These make a great Kubaton/Fistload and are actually legal to keep with you on the plane or in other "no-weapon" areas (unlike your OC spray or purpose-designed impact weapons).

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OC sprays have their place but I wouldn't trust them to stop a committed attack (I've been sprayed, and yes, it sucks, but it's not an instant stop by any means)

Kenpotex is correct..There is ALWAYS a fallout that contaminates the sprayer as well, and there are some people who it just doesn't affect at all.

kenpotex said:
If you don't have themoney for the knife, I'd buy a Mini-Mag-Light $10 in most places. These make a great Kubaton/Fistload and are actually legal to keep with you on the plane or in other "no-weapon" areas (unlike your OC spray or purpose-designed impact weapons).

An excellent idea too....

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I also carry my cane everywhere.It may also give the impression to an attacker that you are handicapped and unable to defend yourself, something that will work to your advantage....

While it may work to your advantage once the fight occurs, the flip side of this reasoning is that it sets you up as a target BECAUSE you look helpless and unable to defend yourself. Predators go after the weak.

Lamont

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
A roll of quarters. I know it is not a weapon per se, but with it in your hand it makes the fist tighten. A tight fist is like swinging a hammer, not to mention that the weight it adds increases impact and minimally slows you down. Use a roll of dimes if your hand is small.

BTW- nobody ever thinks of you as carrying a weapon if you have a roll of change. And you can carry it anywhere.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Always trust your instincts...if it does not feel right? turn and go back.

Awareness at all times, be observant, don't make yourself an easy tarket..walk talk,head up..know about Verbal Judo....always be humble...

...as far as for weapons....anything around can be made or use as a weapons. Also running around a fire hydrant or cars will make distance work.

You see a bunch of guys doing nothing....walk the long way around. At nights a bright flashlight (small OK -blind them for a few seconds -EYES)..sure fire? .........Aloha

BJJMichigan

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
A suggestion I am going to reccommend for your cross country hike (not sure if you're going by plane or foot) is going and buying a $2 Gym Lock and a Iron Chain to go with that. If you took that Gym Lock and Locked it on one end of the chain, WOW! That's a serious distance whip. It might even be acceptable on an airplane if you have the Gym Lock around the chain in the traditional manner (ie linking the chain closed). You could even use the traditional manner as like a "rapper" and wear it around your neck :)

my 2 cents!

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
California

Whereabouts in California?

I've lived in San Francisco for the past 12 years, in a couple of fairly gritty neighborhoods and haven't felt the need to be armed. It's your choice, of course, but you might consider the option that you just don't need to carry a weapon...

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
While it may work to your advantage once the fight occurs, the flip side of this reasoning is that it sets you up as a target BECAUSE you look helpless and unable to defend yourself. Predators go after the weak.

Lamont

Very true...Pity the fool who decides we are weak and attacks...

OP
Ram

Ram

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I've lived in San Francisco for the past 12 years, in a couple of fairly gritty neighborhoods and haven't felt the need to be armed. It's your choice, of course, but you might consider the option that you just don't need to carry a weapon...

San Francisco, Stockton and Sacramento. Always be prepared, just because it has not happened to you dose not mean it might not happen to me or yourself. You have to be alert and ready at all times.

Hello, Always trust your instincts...if it does not feel right? turn and go back.

Awareness at all times, be observant, don't make yourself an easy tarket..walk talk,head up..know about Verbal Judo....always be humble...

...as far as for weapons....anything around can be made or use as a weapons. Also running around a fire hydrant or cars will make distance work.

You see a bunch of guys doing nothing....walk the long way around. At nights a bright flashlight (small OK -blind them for a few seconds -EYES)..sure fire? .........Aloha

I was not looking for this type of advice but it is really good and dose more than a weapon can.