Weapons: Belt and pepper spray

Ram

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I am going to be heading cross country and where I am traveling to has a high crime rate and a lot of laws about knife carry(also I can't find my non-butterfly knife and am pretty broke at the moment so I can not buy a new one).
So after assessing my options I figure I should use my pepper spray and a good leather belt. I think my best bet for defense to practice for is a situation where I spray the pepper spray and whip the non metal end of the belt to gain escape distance. Anyone have any other combo ideas?

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Where are you going?

In most localities, you can lawfully carry a lockback knife that has a blade length of under 3 inches. This is why I recommend a Spyderco Delica (excellent folder) to people looking for such protective methods. I would think that it's going to be more effective than any pepper spray or belt.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
use the metal end of the belt. if the situation has deteriorated that far, you'll need that advantage. the leather end hurts. the metal bit slashes.

grenadier's right about spyderco knives. if you're going to carry, that's the brand. but a belt and pepper spray will give you range and distance a 3" folder won't.

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't want to move the topic off of belts and pepper spray, but you could carry a walking stick/cane. Also, you may consider carrying a "decoy wallet." If you don't feel you have a fighting chance against an attacker and you think they just want a wallet, give them a fake one full of $15, some fake pictures, and a few of those fake credit cards you get in the mail all of the time.

But, back to your topic, pepper spray is a great thing to carry. You can get some stuff with a ten foot range. That should be all you need in theory.

AoG

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Be sure to practice with the spray. I have seen to many gas themselves while using it.

wesley

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
searchers right.

you have to find the right one. and know how to use it. some of them are really hard to use correctly, and if you cant use it correctly why carry it?

most of the good ones come with a practice charge full of water that works very well.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I second the advice for a cane.

Not illegal, and gives you a nice range advantage.

A staff would be even better, but then you end up looking like a Lord of the Rings fan :D If you go this route, might as well grow the beard and get a worn-out pointy hat :)

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I second the advice for a cane.

Not illegal, and gives you a nice range advantage.

A staff would be even better, but then you end up looking like a Lord of the Rings fan :D If you go this route, might as well grow the beard and get a worn-out pointy hat :)

I always carry my cane when I travel, they even let me take it on airplanes, and I'm a big fan of anything that gives me a range advantage. I agree with bushidomartialarts, if you're going to use a belt, use the metal end.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't want to move the topic off of belts and pepper spray, but you could carry a walking stick/cane. Also, you may consider carrying a "decoy wallet." If you don't feel you have a fighting chance against an attacker and you think they just want a wallet, give them a fake one full of $15, some fake pictures, and a few of those fake credit cards you get in the mail all of the time.

But, back to your topic, pepper spray is a great thing to carry. You can get some stuff with a ten foot range. That should be all you need in theory.

AoG

I always carry my cane when I travel, they even let me take it on airplanes

I also carry my cane everywhere.It may also give the impression to an attacker that you are handicapped and unable to defend yourself, something that will work to your advantage....Check out the CaneMasters website..Great cane and instructional dvd's...

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I also carry my cane everywhere.It may also give the impression to an attacker that you are handicapped and unable to defend yourself, something that will work to your advantage....Check out the CaneMasters website..Great cane and instructional dvd's...

That's where I got mine:ultracool. Something strange also happens when you carry a cane, people assume you can't stand and have a reason to be put at the front of lines, I've been pulled out of lines by security for what I though was a random check, and taken to the front of the line:shrug:, nobody asked me if I needed it.

OP
Ram

Ram

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Where are you going?

California

I lke the decoy wallet idea and am going to try it out. I feel like I will have no problem in a fist fight I have done muay thai and mma training. I mostly though am worried about defense against weapon attacks.

I like the cane ideas an actually have a umbrella with a 3 and 1/2 inch long metal point on top that I might take along.The only problem is that it would be odd to carry a umbrella out if it is not raining. Also the umbrella was a freebie and is rainbow colored:uhyeah:

OP
Ram

Ram

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Also if you swing with the belt buckle what is the best way to keep the movement flowing and snap it if a quick defense is needed?

OP
Ram

Ram

Orange Belt
Reaction score
When I learned belt uses back in SKK. I was taught to use it for snapping chokes and neck breaks. They never covered what to do if one end of the belt was weighted. We always used our karate belts to practice with and they have no metal.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's where I got mine:ultracool.

Good stuff..Ever attend some GM Shuey's seminars?? More good stuf//

morph4me said:
Something strange also happens when you carry a cane, people assume you can't stand and have a reason to be put at the front of lines, I've been pulled out of lines by security for what I though was a random check, and taken to the front of the line:shrug:, nobody asked me if I needed it.

You're lucky, thats never happened to me..They check the cane and x-ray it and ask me why I need it and I answer for "balance"..

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ram, if you have learned to use the non-weighted end of the belt then by all means do so, it can be as effective as using the weighted end, just in a different way. LOL make sure your pants fit well enough that if you do remove your belt they stay up, much harder to escape with your pants around your ankles. If your pants are loose you can take a bit of string and loop it between a couple of belt loops to tighten the waist then wear your belt with the confidence that you can remove it easily and safely.

The carrying and use of a cane is also a good idea with the caveat that it may make you look weaker and attractive as a target. The caveat also holds for your rainbow umbrella as it may attract unwanted and hostile attention.

Your umbrella can also be used as a weapon, but if it is not real sturdy I would not suggest using it for stabbing and pushing but might consider opening it between yourself and the attacker and using it as a vision block/shield and attacking the attackers’ legs from below ‘radar’. You can also open it and use it as a vision block if you wish to do some work with the attacker(s) but want some ummm privacy, so that others do not see what is happening.

A cell phone besides calling for help (and leaving a voice record of the attack) can also make a good fist load.

One old Soviet idea is to take your jacket and tie a sleeve shut and then weight it. By swinging by the other sleeve you have a nice weapon that can cover four or five feet and looks innocent while being carried over you arm. It can be weighted with anything from rocks to a can of beer/soda to handful of nuts and bolts. Just be able to articulate why you are carrying the item(s) that way.

Another item I have carried in the past is a bandana. Weight one corner and it can be used as a very fast and effective whip/sap. It does not take much weight and the weight helps keep it from falling out of your pocket.

One use of your pepper spray that many do not think of is to leave a cloud behind you as you run away for those that are chasing you to enjoy.

Besides making sure your pants fit, make sure your shoes fit and are well made. I cannot count the number of fights I have seen with shoes falling off (which can make an effective missile for distraction if practiced) Make sure that you can run in whatever clothing that you decide to wear. And of course even more important than what weapons you carry is to stay aware of your surroundings and to listen to gut feelings and to have enough pride to leave if you sense danger even if you are armed and dangerous. Since you will be in unfamiliar territory I would also suggest that you stay away from drugs and alcohol.

Have a good trip
Brian

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's one thing you should carry that nobody's mentioned...

A cell phone. In the US, any cell phone (even without a regular carrier) can be used to dial 911, if it can get a signal. But "pay as you go" phones are available, and inexpensive. Not only can you use it to call for police or EMS -- you can use it to say "HELP! I'm lost!" and get directions out of wherever you happen to be.

One other thing... Make sure the pepper spray canister you use is easy to tell which way it's pointing. (I've seen too many of the damn keychain crap that there's no way to tell if you're spraying the other guy or yourself without stopping and looking at it.)

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The cane can also be useful against dogs and the like, which are at the least a nuisance. If you're not comfortable grappling over control of the cane, though, I wouldn't want to rely on it.

Definitely whip the metal end of the belt. Consider also a pocket stick or belt-buckle push dagger.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good stuff..Ever attend some GM Shuey's seminars?? More good stuf//

You're lucky, thats never happened to me..They check the cane and x-ray it and ask me why I need it and I answer for "balance"..

Never had the opportunity to attend his seminars, but I do have some of his training tapes, and my students :EG:

They x-ray it, but I've never been asked why I need it, I'd tell them, I've had 2 knee surgeries, am susceptible to attacks of gout, and have a bad back, I'd just neglect to mention when or how long since they've bothered me.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Definitely whip the metal end of the belt. Consider also a pocket stick or belt-buckle push dagger.

The Kubotan is an excellent little surprize, however at Cleveland Hopkins Airport there is a large display case of items that cannot go on board the aircraft and the Kubotan is in there along with the belt-buckle dagger..Whipping the metal end of the belt is an EXCELLENT defensive surprize..

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
They x-ray it, but I've never been asked why I need it, I'd tell them, I've had 2 knee surgeries, am susceptible to attacks of gout, and have a bad back, I'd just neglect to mention when or how long since they've bothered me.

I guess it depends on your departing airport..Denver CO asked but Hopkins didn't...

Latest Discussions