Weaponry

F

Fortis

Are there any Tae Kwon Do systems that teach weapons use at higher levels?

Eldritch Knight

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Not to my knowledge. Tae kwon do is purely unarmed. You'll have to find another style for weapons.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Our Grandmaster did show his senior students some sword technique because he had practiced Kendo in Korea. Otherwise we don't use weapons. Any black belts who learned weapons have either learned on their own or studied a style that used them.
I do, however, find myself experimenting with using my belt.:)

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dear Fortis:

I, myself, do not practice TKD. However I have quite a few students who have trained in TKD in the Chicago area and the report on the weapons they are exposed to seems to be very individualized to the life experience of their teachers. Among the most common weapons to turn up seem to be the dan bong (short stick) and juk-to (bamboo sword work) after the fashion of Kendo-style Kumdo. Some schools also do nunchaku despite it not being recognized as an indigenous Korean item and others do staff work though it is too often borrowed from Okinawa and China. Escrima-style stick work seems to be getting more popular, but then the NHB/BJJ style groundwork is also working its way into quite a few KMA curriculums so who knows where this will stop. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

OP
F

Fortis

Thanks for the details all. Weapons is something I'd definitely like to try at some point but I plan to wait until I have a strong base.

phlaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Our TKD school teaches weapons. I have had training in Sword, Bo, 3 secstional staff, Nunchaku, Sai, and some others.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
While most TKD schools do not weapons, the more traditional ones do teach weapon defense after black belt (knife, gun, stick, sword etc.). The forms especially, if you study them, are full of techniques that can be used against weapons.
I was practicing a move from Palgue Pal involving twisting through a knife hand block into an arm lock and elbow. One of our Instructor's thrust his staff at me to have me block it. In the process of blocking the staff and twisting, I snapped the staff in half.

Latest Discussions