Weak versus Strong

OP
hapki68

hapki68

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thanks everyone... lots to ponder. In fact, that's what makes the MA so tough and fun. It's hard to remember all the stuff you have to do at one time to be effective: move face out of the way of punch by sliding a few degrees to the right, raise right arm and grab attacker's wrist, step forward, knife hand down with other arm, get him/her off balance, don't drool, etc...

I know (or hope) it will come in time but at this point, I'm clumsy and out of control.

Paul, thanks for the "third point" bit. I need to really process that for a while.

Jenna, I'm (sort of) with Paul. (The ugly cousin point is a hoot!) I had a little aikido in college and loved the intellectualism and grace. I tend to think of hapkido as the more basic (poor man's?) aikido. There's a ton of stuff written about aikido, for good reason, but almost zilch about hapkido, which is frustrating. This is probably inaccurate and may not make sense, but I tend to think of aikido as something the Athenians would've practiced whereas the Spartans would've gone for hapkido. (Keep in mind, Athens eventually defeated Sparta, I think, so maybe I should reconsider the whole analogy. Oy.)

But don't get me wrong... I love my art. And I can throw a pretty good hissy fit when it gets dissed :)

Patrick

PS... Off to "open mat" practice. My instructor/Master is at a tournament today... hopefully defeating Paul's Master :)

OP
hapki68

hapki68

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Oh... and you're totally right about aikido's fabulous trousers! I wish we had those.

One word of warning to all: when I first started training about a year ago, I was lazy and didn't tie the string on my pants. Of course, I judo threw a guy and -- yep -- he grabbed my pants on the way down and took them with him. Thank god I wasn't wearing the leopard print thong that day :)

Hapki

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
hapki68 said:
Jenna, I'm (sort of) with Paul. (The ugly cousin point is a hoot!) I had a little aikido in college and loved the intellectualism and grace. I tend to think of hapkido as the more basic (poor man's?) aikido. There's a ton of stuff written about aikido, for good reason, but almost zilch about hapkido, which is frustrating. This is probably inaccurate and may not make sense, but I tend to think of aikido as something the Athenians would've practiced whereas the Spartans would've gone for hapkido. (Keep in mind, Athens eventually defeated Sparta, I think, so maybe I should reconsider the whole analogy. Oy.)
Hey Patrick :) well now I would have to say I always thought the practitioners of Hapki techniques had more flavas than Aikido in their range.... sorry I am CRAVING B&J ice cream and worse because I am not supposed to eat it but yes I have noticed also that compared to the plethora of Aikido books Hapkido is somewhat the poorer relation but take heart that most of the Aikido material is sorely lacking genuine substance and I think this is because of the inherent spirituality in the art folk think they can pass any drivel off as having true Aiki merit...

Oh and I think your ancient Greek analogy is superb even if it makes Aikido seem more thoughtful than Hapkido and I will shout at you for doing that with your art!!!! But I would draw a different conclusion if Aikido was the art if Athens and Hapkido the art of Sparta then we would more probably have seen harmony and acceptance in Greece how bout that?

Oh I love your "intellectualism and grace" point which is probably how it seems from books or looks on the B&W films of Ueshiba but I might take your description of Aikido and set in a different light for you by describing it as intellectualism grace and swearing like a navvy.... :)

Good luck with your training..... oh and your leopard print thong :D

Yr most obdt hmble drvt,
Jenna

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I am 5'8 and between 150 and 160. I have thrown and applied joint locks to those that are 250lbs and heavier. It has a lot to do with technique and timing. Grant it throws you need some strength in your legs and I have leg pressed as much as 600lbs so thats a benefit I have to my advantage.

Latest Discussions