We don't throw straight rights in street fights.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Now you have.

Clips on my computer is the only thing that I still have plenty of. Will this make forum discussion more fun? :)

my-triple-kick-2.gif

my-kick-combo.gif

jump-tree-kick.gif

Your kicking motion is fluid. But there is definitely enough time between kicks to close to punching or grappling range.

If I want to pick up a fight against someone, do you think I will pick up a weak person, or a strong person?

Sometime you have to put yourself in the bad guy's point of view.

Lots of people will pick the strong person, so they look stronger when they win.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Have you never heard of picking the biggest guy in the room?
On the contrary, if you have to fight a group of people, you will pick up the weakest person, draw blood, and scare the rest of others.

In Chinese, it's called, "杀鸡儆猴 Kill a chicken to scare the monkeys".

kill-chicken-scare-monkeys.jpg

Last edited:

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Every fight someone has tried to pick with me has failed because I didn't give them any energy to feed on. When someone tries to pick a fight and you are nervous, it feeds into their predatory behavior. When they try and pick a fight and you amp them up by putting up your guard and challenging them, it amps their adrenaline and feeds into that fight desire as well. When you have a calm, neutral stance, there's no energy. They get no feedback and their aggression peters out.

I prefer mirroring their energy or level. It allows you to take control and deescalate while keeping control of the situation.

Edit: Maybe mirroring isn't a good term....but I prefer to initially take a strong position in confrontations and then deescalate.

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Lots of people will pick the strong person, so they look stronger when they win.
This reminds me of the street when I lived in Baltimore. There was a big price to pay for being seen as the "strong one." Almost like King of the mountain but with violence.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
On the contrary, if you have to fight a group of people, you will pick up the weakest person, draw blood, and scare the rest of others.
lol. It's stuff like that that makes me thing that Wang is one of those sneaky fighters lol. I now have too much in common with Wang lol

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I prefer mirroring their energy or level.
Best thing I've heard in a while. If you can read the person, then you can basically have numerous stalemates throughout an argument and possible physical fight.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So your suggestion is the opposite of this idea.
"The anger/threat process (what actually happens in the brain) reaches a point where it is almost self-escalating. Near that point, adding more threat indicators is likely to push them over the edge into fighting mode. It's a probability change, and (as with much in psychology) somewhat dependent upon the individuals involved, among other variables."
It's not really the opposite. Firstly, if the person hasn't proceeded too far down that anger process, what I said doesn't really conflict with John's statement. Then there's the fact that the emotional brain can change directions quickly in some circumstances - think of a parent who is angry at their child, then the child is in danger. The point is that the executive functions are suppressed by anger (and fear, and stress - all to differing degrees). A significant portion of de-escalation is an attempt to bring the executive function to bear. Once the emotional brain hits a certain point, the executive brain doesn't have the ability to take control quickly.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

In Chinese, it's called, "杀鸡儆猴 Kill a chicken to scare the monkeys".

kill-chicken-scare-monkeys.jpg
In the south it is called "you probably just beat up someone's little brother and are fixing to get boot stomped". We have been known to be pack hunters and sacrifice our weak.;););)

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'd have to dig through old notes to find the studies involved. I retain concepts well, and quickly lose details like attribution.

I had a class in college, History of Social Welfare. The homework was all concepts, and I aced the homework. In fact, I was one of two students singled out by the teacher as examples for the rest of the class. She specifically said (and I'm paraphrasing) "if you want help on the homework, ask these two, because they did so well on it."

I got a D on the midterm.

Every single question was either:
  • What event happened on X date?
  • Which person is responsible for Y event?
Names and dates. The two things I struggle with. Every answer was a random guess.

I wonder if that would work.

Technically yes, but legally no.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a class in college, History of Social Welfare. The homework was all concepts, and I aced the homework. In fact, I was one of two students singled out by the teacher as examples for the rest of the class. She specifically said (and I'm paraphrasing) "if you want help on the homework, ask these two, because they did so well on it."

I got a D on the midterm.

Every single question was either:
  • What event happened on X date?
  • Which person is responsible for Y event?
Names and dates. The two things I struggle with. Every answer was a random guess.

Technically yes, but legally no.
Yeah. I loved history class lessons. I hated every history test I ever took.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
2:45.

"I could do it like I am sparring and throw clean punches but ultimately that's not how street fights work."

Put it into the complete context up to that point. He already said that if you take up a guard position (illustrates boxer/mma type guard) you already know you're in a fight. He then shows a neutral position, with hands in a de-escalation/non-threatening position and shows how to punch from that position. When he talks about the "clean punch" he again reverts back to the boxer/mma guard (high and tight by the head) to show how it is already properly chambered and not punching from where his hands were at while de-escalating.

From where his hands were at you CAN'T throw a clean straight punch, that was his point. He didn't say that you would never throw one once you became engaged. He was ONLY talking about your first initial punch. He is completely correct on that. Again, put the comments into the context of what he was talking about and trying to convey and not just isolate that one phrase.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Put it into the complete context up to that point. He already said that if you take up a guard position (illustrates boxer/mma type guard) you already know you're in a fight. He then shows a neutral position, with hands in a de-escalation/non-threatening position and shows how to punch from that position. When he talks about the "clean punch" he again reverts back to the boxer/mma guard (high and tight by the head) to show how it is already properly chambered and not punching from where his hands were at while de-escalating.

From where his hands were at you CAN'T throw a clean straight punch, that was his point. He didn't say that you would never throw one once you became engaged. He was ONLY talking about your first initial punch. He is completely correct on that. Again, put the comments into the context of what he was talking about and trying to convey and not just isolate that one phrase.

Regardless of the full caps. You really can throw a clean punch from awkward hand positions.

And the point of that hand position as to make it easier to punch.

Latest Discussions