Was I justified?

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sam,

There's far more available to you in your martial path and teachings to help you in daily life than there is in your martial arsenal.

Best,
G

I talked to a black belt from my dojang today at school, and explained it to her as I did here. Her response, when I asked if I was wrong in that I provoked it, was "I think you know the answer to that yourself."

And she has a point. I'm seriously re-evaluating my thoughts about the prevention part of self defense, as I seemed to have had it all wrong before. I'll hopefully be talking to my instructor tomorrow too.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. Here's some added details. I'm 17, my brother is 15. He's about 5'8, not sure of weight (average build I guess). Regarding the reason as to why my brother had charged me, he made a comment about my brother-sister relationship with the student, trying to imply it went farther than that. At this I brought up him bragging to his friends about how "intimate" he had gotten with his step-sister. This set him off. Looking back at this, it seems that I am responsible for what happened. Hell, I was the one who started yelling.

Thanks to everyone for the input, it seems that I need to control my words and attitude more.
You're still very, very young, and I think it shows a lot of maturity to put it all out on a public forum.

Let me just give you some 'Grandpa' advice :yoda: and say, some day I hope you'll get the chance to cherish your little brother as I did in the couple of years before mine passed away. We were very competitive when younger, and sometimes it threatened to break down into violence. I'm so grateful we never let it get that far.

Today, I'd let my brother slap me around the block every day if it meant I could have him back for another year or two. Life's shorter than you think. This is not to say I feel the same about my other sib, but ya never know. ;)