War or Just BS

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I believe Nixon was going to withdraw our troops back in early 70's. It is what jump started Koreagate, where many members of congress were taking "favors" from S.K. businessmen in hopes to keep US in S.K. Ironicly it was the Democrats that got caught with their hand in the cookie jar on this one.

Since China has no real power over NK at this time, I believe pulling our troops would not be the right solution. This would basicly give NK the green light to start rolling into SK. While SK does have a military, I do not feel they would fair well by themselves against NK.

I really don't know but it would not be in the best interests of North Korea to piss off China either. They are way to close, way to powerful and don't play well with others. If they roll in, when they are done, they would likely not rebuild anything like we do.

Even though the PRC has little influence over NK they are still the 300 pound Gorilla in that section of the planet and the only thing between the NK and the USA (and/or Japan). Pull China out and the NK becomes a little fish in a very big pond rather quickly

Agreed; but it's hardly a valid comparison. South Korea is excercising within their maritime boundaries as recognized within the UN. While those boundaries may not be recognized by NK, they are recognized by China. In other words, there's a reason for them to be there doing what they're doing. NK and China encroaching on US waters is a completely different story.

Actually the specific statement from China was referring to the waters off Cuba and they did not include the NK at all they may however have included Cuba.

Basically what they were saying is OK the US wants to have navel war games with SK near our borders... that's cool... how would they feel if we had Navel war games near Cuba. From our POV that may be different but from theirs it is the same thing.

KarateMomUSA

Black Belt
Reaction score
War… anyplace …in whichever part of the world is devastating…it means someone loses a son, brother, father, and friend. I, for one, am praying there is not another war…anywhere.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
War… anyplace …in whichever part of the world is devastating…it means someone loses a son, brother, father, and friend. I, for one, am praying there is not another war…anywhere.

War will always be around. I have already told my wife to tell her family to get their visas ready. We have been making preparations for them to stay with us in case it does beak out over there.

We have ramped up troops in SK which is good indication that things are getting more heated. It was just reported on KBS news that NK has redesigned their uniforms to look more like SK military. This is another sign that they are getting ready for possible attack as well. SK is doing live fire drills and checking their emergency prepareness. It will take a major undergoing for them to settle things down over there.

KarateMomUSA

Black Belt
Reaction score
War will always be around. I have already told my wife to tell her family to get their visas ready. We have been making preparations for them to stay with us in case it does beak out over there.

We have ramped up troops in SK which is good indication that things are getting more heated. It was just reported on KBS news that NK has redesigned their uniforms to look more like SK military. This is another sign that they are getting ready for possible attack as well. SK is doing live fire drills and checking their emergency prepareness. It will take a major undergoing for them to settle things down over there.

I will be praying for you and your family...

James HKD

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If anything does break out between the North and South, China and the US would defienatly lock horns. China is spending billions to upgrade their defenses. In under a decade they have made 30 year advancements, something America is not to fond of. China would probably take sides with North Korea so the US just can't leave the South hanging out to dry, that area is too strategically advantagious, not to mention all the trading done there. If this takes off... It will get bloody.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My own opinion probably isn't worth much but it most likely is saber rattling. But one can bet that both super-powers (U.S. and China) are watching the two very closely since both have a vested interest in their respective counterparts. It is hoped that our state-dept is on line to China's equivalent and discussing the matter. To me its like two older brothers watching two little brothers trading taunts and chucking rocks at one another until one crosses the fence line and then it really gets into a mess. Question is what will the two older brothers do? Help out or intervene and put a stop to the nonsense?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
If anything does break out between the North and South, China and the US would defienatly lock horns. China is spending billions to upgrade their defenses. In under a decade they have made 30 year advancements, something America is not to fond of. China would probably take sides with North Korea so the US just can't leave the South hanging out to dry, that area is too strategically advantagious, not to mention all the trading done there. If this takes off... It will get bloody.

Bloody….actually potentially radioactive

As to China’s advancement militarily, it was not 30 years in under 10, they were never that far behind. However they were never this loud about it. They were happy having everyone think they were behind they were happy having everyone think they were simply the large standing army on the planet but technologically way behind. The truth is they were not all that far behind at all.

What surprises me is the change from not wanting anyone to know to the new “HEY!!!! Look at us and see how powerful we are” stance they are no taking. That’s the biggest change.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
My own opinion probably isn't worth much but it most likely is saber rattling.

BINGO!!!!! Question is why is China now into saber rattling when they have not been into it before, or is this just another case of Sūn​zǐ​ Bīng​ Fǎ in application.

But one can bet that both super-powers (U.S. and China) are watching the two very closely since both have a vested interest in their respective counterparts. It is hoped that our state-dept is on line to China's equivalent and discussing the matter. To me its like two older brothers watching two little brothers trading taunts and chucking rocks at one another until one crosses the fence line and then it really gets into a mess. Question is what will the two older brothers do? Help out or intervene and put a stop to the nonsense?

Good question but at the moment North Korea does not seem to be that much of an issue any longer and as far as the little brother it is the one that is really not making big brother happy at the moment

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
BINGO!!!!! Question is why is China now into saber rattling when they have not been into it before, or is this just another case of Sūn​zǐ​ Bīng​ Fǎ in application.
Good question but at the moment North Korea does not seem to be that much of an issue any longer and as far as the little brother it is the one that is really not making big brother happy at the moment

Oh I forgot to add " And when ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars, be ye not troubled: for such things must needs be; but the end shall not be yet. " ~ Mark 13:7

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
China is becoming a huge player in the international trade game. I don't think they want anything to slow that down just yet, so my guess is saber rattling.
As for North and South Korea, I wish they'd settle it with a massive, televised, Tae-Kwon-Do fight. That would be a hoot.

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just jumping in food for thought but I was in Korea in 2009 when the north cut all the communication lines to the south because they wanted the South/US to pay for all new telecomunictions equipment which is always the posturing they do black mail for what ever they want and I was surprised at the general media print and what ever including the reconciliation groups based on having relatives in the North not want to provoke or do anything negative.

Then guess what the private embassy leak of communication from China stating that they no longer need North Korea to be a buffer and it would be good for thier economy if North and South Unified the North shut up and we and the South Koreans took a hard line to thier shelling and posturing on the disputed islands ect. We even did manuvers that everyone said oh no well they did nothing they don't hve big brother getting thier back no more and the Souths sentament seems to eco that in general still people still have many lost realatives on the other side and want to see peace and the ability to travel and exchange? My master escaped while a child with his mother across to the south and made a good life for themselves.

You will note that North Korea has pretty much dropped off the news for some time now with all other countries calling for reform and freedom the head of the turtle is pulled in for now

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Perhaps NK is not making news in US, but they are still making news on the Korean networks. China has already gone on record saying that they do not control NK contrary to popular belief and they also feel that they need to step it down a bit. They stated that they would not intervene if something happened between NK and SK, HOWEVER, once a foreign presence stepped foot into NK territory, they would step in.

Little by little NK is losing negotiating powers as the generation of broken families is becoming less and less as many of those members are older and passing on. The younger generation do not feel the same tides that bind and thus the biggest bargaining chip NK has is diminishing. What people are seeing now is the power being shifted through a dynastic system of father to son. So the world is trying to guess how this son will be as a leader. I personally think it will be one of two ways. He will be a "meet the new boss, same as the old boss" type or just a straw puppet that will be handled by the more experienced people in charge over there.