Regular Sparring Sessions is a Go

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why do you insist I do? You have made it quite clear in the last month that you REALLY don't like what you think it is that I do. You've made it equally clear that you REALLY don't know what I do.

It is a trend I have noticed with your posts. I will bring it up the next time you do it.

Because it kind of mystifies me a bit why you would. I mean I understand why some people would not take, or cant take the extra steps. But you argue against the existance of those extra steps.

For example here I have basically been arguing that you need a multi layered approach to fighting to adress a multi layered defence. I would assume it is pretty standard stuff. So far you have suggested that in the street you will probably get a pretty predictable response.

Ok. Lets suggest that is minimum standard. Enough skill to get over some craptasic rage fighter. And that will probably get you further than doing nothing.

But why wouldn't you then take that training further and develop a game that handles a quality fighter who is intentionally trying to pick you apart?

They are stil a threat in the everywhere you could engage them.

You're reading my point backwards. I'm not saying a competitive fighter can't handle someone going all-in. I'm saying it's easier in some ways to handle the all-in guy. He's less in control, and in some ways more predictable. Someone who is pissed off at me will give me far more openings than you would if we were sparring.

My point was that there are things that are necessary when training for competition that aren't as necessary for a defensive situation. In effect, it's like if I trained to defend against a sword. Those defensive skills may be useful in defending against a stick, but I'll be training to an unnecessary standard: sticks don't cut.

Training to an unnecessary standard?

You keep trying to suggest being a quality well developed fighter is some sort of competition specific skill?

And that is just not the case.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is a trend I have noticed with your posts. I will bring it up the next time you do it.

Because it kind of mystifies me a bit why you would. I mean I understand why some people would not take, or cant take the extra steps. But you argue against the existance of those extra steps.

For example here I have basically been arguing that you need a multi layered approach to fighting to adress a multi layered defence. I would assume it is pretty standard stuff. So far you have suggested that in the street you will probably get a pretty predictable response.

Ok. Lets suggest that is minimum standard. Enough skill to get over some craptasic rage fighter. And that will probably get you further than doing nothing.

But why wouldn't you then take that training further and develop a game that handles a quality fighter who is intentionally trying to pick you apart?

They are stil a threat in the everywhere you could engage them.

You're reading my point backwards. I'm not saying a competitive fighter can't handle someone going all-in. I'm saying it's easier in some ways to handle the all-in guy. He's less in control, and in some ways more predictable. Someone who is pissed off at me will give me far more openings than you would if we were sparring.

My point was that there are things that are necessary when training for competition that aren't as necessary for a defensive situation. In effect, it's like if I trained to defend against a sword. Those defensive skills may be useful in defending against a stick, but I'll be training to an unnecessary standard: sticks don't cut.

Training to an unnecessary standard?

You keep trying to suggest being a quality well developed fighter is some sort of competition specific skill?

And that is just not the case.
This is, once again, going back over material we've covered in the past. You pick up one thing I say we do, and ignore all the things I've said in the past. I'm not here to defend my practices against someone who doesn't bother to remember past discussions.

I do not take a one-layered approach. That much should be obvious from our prior discussions. I'll just leave it at that and let this thread return to its OT.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was that supposed to be in support of your prior claim?

Oh bugger forgot to reply. No, most will choose flight. Just a natural human condition. As for evidence for those stupid enough to go toe to toe, I can't supply that. However, I would say that no amount of training can mitigate the unsolicited amount of violence that can be wrought.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is, once again, going back over material we've covered in the past. You pick up one thing I say we do, and ignore all the things I've said in the past. I'm not here to defend my practices against someone who doesn't bother to remember past discussions.

I do not take a one-layered approach. That much should be obvious from our prior discussions. I'll just leave it at that and let this thread return to its OT.

images

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh bugger forgot to reply. No, most will choose flight. Just a natural human condition. As for evidence for those stupid enough to go toe to toe, I can't supply that. However, I would say that no amount of training can mitigate the unsolicited amount of violence that can be wrought.
You said they would choose flight, regardless of training. Law enforcement experience seems to show the opposite. Very few law enforcement officers bolt when they experience danger the first time.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You said they would choose flight, regardless of training. Law enforcement experience seems to show the opposite. Very few law enforcement officers bolt when they experience danger the first time.

Oh for crying out loud. I am not talking about LEO's. Climb down from you're pedestal from a moment and just listen.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The prise is something that is not relevant. Unless of course you want to big yourself up on a forum.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thing is there though a police officer of course wouldn't bolt as its their job that's what they're being paid to do deal with dangerous situations and also while not bolting they'd still first try and talk down a dangerous situation rather than getting straight in and fighting with the guy.

I feel it works differently because if you or got into a dangerous situation fight or flight would just be instinct whatever our natural reaction is since we're not prepared for it to happen at that time so instinct will kick in. But police know what they're getting into they can get themselves into the correct mind frame when they get on duty or if they get called to a dangerous situation they have time to get themselves ready and focused for what they need to do.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thing is there though a police officer of course wouldn't bolt as its their job that's what they're being paid to do deal with dangerous situations and also while not bolting they'd still first try and talk down a dangerous situation rather than getting straight in and fighting with the guy.

I feel it works differently because if you or got into a dangerous situation fight or flight would just be instinct whatever our natural reaction is since we're not prepared for it to happen at that time so instinct will kick in. But police know what they're getting into they can get themselves into the correct mind frame when they get on duty or if they get called to a dangerous situation they have time to get themselves ready and focused for what they need to do.
The original comment was that people would choose flight, regardless of training. I assumed that was a statement based on some evidence, so I asked. My point is that if it were true that people run, regardless of their training, there would be a large number of LEO's who bolted on their first dangerous call. The same would be true of bouncers, security guards, people entering competitions, etc. Now, if what was meant was that most people would choose to avoid a conflict rather than fighting, then I misunderstood the original comment.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The original comment was that people would choose flight, regardless of training. I assumed that was a statement based on some evidence, so I asked. My point is that if it were true that people run, regardless of their training, there would be a large number of LEO's who bolted on their first dangerous call. The same would be true of bouncers, security guards, people entering competitions, etc. Now, if what was meant was that most people would choose to avoid a conflict rather than fighting, then I misunderstood the original comment.

Avoid a conflict yeah sure. Some of us don't share that. Avoid a fight yes, actually have some dick who actually thinks he can take you, that's different.

Latest Discussions