Wacky stuff I've heard about firearms

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not intetested in a heated discussion.

In all fairness, you titled the thread "wacky stuff about firearms" and the attitude of "anyone who wants a gun is mentally unfit to have one" definitely falls into the wacky realm ;)

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
And how is doing drills against a BOB or similar any different?

That's person shaped, and it's sole purpose is to practice hitting something person shaped. You don't do it to practice tickling.

If I'm shooting targets, I'm practicing to shoot targets better and more consistently. My targets aren't even shaped like any sort of creature (except maybe a jellyfish viewed from above). I have no intention to turn that weapon against a living being for fun.

In a survival situation I could admittedly turn that practiced skill around and use it for hunting and/or defence - and it might help me do better than someone who can't/won't shoot/loose.

If anything, my shooting could be considered less of an aggressive hobby than my MA practice, where I do practice hitting people.

Well the purpose of kicking a Bob sn't generally to Practise KILLIng someone ,youR hands and feet have other purposes that causing PAIn or death. To be clear it's the gun i object to nOt o the target, I couldn't, to follow your example ,SUGgest that all hands and feet were confiscated. To BE honest I always thoughT havIng a person model target for ma is more than a bit odd, You never seen a boxer training on one, so they seemingly don't offer much of an advantage over a heavy bag, it's clearly some sort of fantasy thing like a sex doll

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Most folks I have see target shoot didn't ise person shapped ones. I've shot more pop cans and baseballs than paper targets. In my martial arts, firearm trainig is in the curriculem. The purpose of my martial arts is to be able to end any threat against myself or others. A firearm gives people the option to call the bet if a threat raises the stakes.
It is a requirement in my training that I own a handgun and apply and attain a Concealed Pistol License (if legal) in my training.
I believe I have much different views than you in margial arts.
My philosohpy of martial arts is as follows: to be able to asess a threat and apply necesary force within the Use Of Force Continueum. Use Of Force Continueum: Controll-Incapacitate-Terminate. It basically means apply pain, knock out, kill. So trairing to kill quickly and efficiently is part of my martial art AKA military training.
Why shoot pop cans, they are generally harmless, unless you are practising to shoot a living thing!

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In all fairness, you titled the thread "wacky stuff about firearms" and the attitude of "anyone who wants a gun is mentally unfit to have one" definitely falls into the wacky realm ;)
Exactly, he wanted views that agreed with his

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Most folks I have see target shoot didn't ise person shapped ones. I've shot more pop cans and baseballs than paper targets. In my martial arts, firearm trainig is in the curriculem. The purpose of my martial arts is to be able to end any threat against myself or others. A firearm gives people the option to call the bet if a threat raises the stakes.
It is a requirement in my training that I own a handgun and apply and attain a Concealed Pistol License (if legal) in my training.
I believe I have much different views than you in margial arts.
My philosohpy of martial arts is as follows: to be able to asess a threat and apply necesary force within the Use Of Force Continueum. Use Of Force Continueum: Controll-Incapacitate-Terminate. It basically means apply pain, knock out, kill. So trairing to kill quickly and efficiently is part of my martial art AKA military training.
I'm confused here,are you in the military or not, the army needs GUNs and they have to practise killing people, I'm ok with that. Or are you pretending your in the military and doing military type training ( IE practising killing people)for no other reason than it makes You Feel good . Coz that is odd, all that weekend warrior stuff , crawling round the woods playing war games like a 10 year old

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess some people never went tromping through the woods and just decided to shoot at something.

While we're at it, I've never met or known anyone to do this. I've known people set up targets, cans, etc but never just bimble around shooting 'things'.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well the purpose of kicking a Bob sn't generally to Practise KILLIng someone ,youR hands and feet have other purposes that causing PAIn or death. To be clear it's the gun i object to nOt o the target, I couldn't, to follow your example ,SUGgest that all hands and feet were confiscated. To BE honest I always thoughT havIng a person model target for ma is more than a bit odd, You never seen a boxer training on one, so they seemingly don't offer much of an advantage over a heavy bag, it's clearly some sort of fantasy thing like a sex doll

Arguably, the very vast majority of martial arts are designed to cause pain, injury or death - so while you wouldn't confiscate hands or feet how can you possibly condone practicing using them in such a fashion?

Btw, you can't use practicing for sparring as an answer - sparring is practice for fighting.

There's possibly a bit of the sex doll thing for some people, but there's also a difference in the targets boxers use compared to some other arts.

A boxer won't be interested in aiming downwards at the clavicle for instance.

Shape of the target aside, a heavy bag (or any bag/ball/pad) is supposed to represent part of a person...

So, what about a sword (seeing as you completely ignored knives)?

A sword has no other purpose than to kill or maim a person, you wouldn't carry one just in case your shoelaces knotted too hard...

So, is fencing a sign of a murderous mental intent and anyone who wants a sword is mentally unfit to have one?

Oh, and the army/police/security don't need guns either btw - there are non-lethal alternatives or y'know, we could all just get along...

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Arguably, the very vast majority of martial arts are designed to cause pain, injury or death - so while you wouldn't confiscate hands or feet how can you possibly condone practicing using them in such a fashion?

Btw, you can't use practicing for sparring as an answer - sparring is practice for fighting.

There's possibly a bit of the sex doll thing for some people, but there's also a difference in the targets boxers use compared to some other arts.

A boxer won't be interested in aiming downwards at the clavicle for instance.

Shape of the target aside, a heavy bag (or any bag/ball/pad) is supposed to represent part of a person...

So, what about a sword (seeing as you completely ignored knives)?

A sword has no other purpose than to kill or maim a person, you wouldn't carry one just in case your shoelaces knotted too hard...

So, is fencing a sign of a murderous mental intent and anyone who wants a sword is mentally unfit to have one?

Oh, and the army/police/security don't need guns either btw - there are non-lethal alternatives or y'know, we could all just get along...
Well first I'm glad we agree about swords,

But then your building a,strawman, if two people want to fight, in a ring, a dojo or on the street corner in good with that if one of them gets kicked to death etal, I'm less so.

From my perspective, IF it's me in a fight, a) I'm less likely to get hurt and b) the person I'm fighting is less likely to get badly hurt if I can easily subdue him, as a have control about how much and where he gets damaged,

A gun has only one mode, max damage to what ever part of the body you hit my punch has infinite levels of power, belowmaximum

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
A gun has only one mode, max damage to what ever part of the body you hit

But why does it have to hit a part of the body?

Why does it have to be aimed at a body at all?

I've discharged thousands of rounds through many guns over the years, not once has it been with the intention of harming a person.

Oh, and by the way, "max damage" isn't the sole mode of a gun, depending on the projectile it can range from "a bit of a bruise" all the way through to "oh my god, he's got a leg off".

Oh, and which part of this fabled strawman is made from paintballers?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't mind discussion, but I won't participate in a heated argument. Besides, only wives win arguments.
Well don't argue and don't get heated then, self control, you control your own destiny in this thread as you do in life Generally, grasshopper

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
But why does it have to hit a part of the body?

Why does it have to be aimed at a body at all?

I've discharged thousands of rounds through many guns over the years, not once has it been with the intention of harming a person.

Oh, and by the way, "max damage" isn't the sole mode of a gun, depending on the projectile it can range from "a bit of a bruise" all the way through to "oh my god, he's got a leg off".

Oh, and which part of this fabled strawman is made from paintballers?
Fire arms do not cause a bit of a bruse, paintball guns are not fire arms,Any more than a grease gun is. plus they can cause serious injury .

Well two thoughts, why are you spending countless hours of your life practising something they you never intend to do, and b) no matter what you claim that amount of practise means you are gun obesesed, and that's the very people who shouldn't have them

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
While we're at it, I've never met or known anyone to do this. I've known people set up targets, cans, etc but never just bimble around shooting 'things'.
It's a redneck thing. Camping last month, we decided to string up a coffee can in the trees and have a contest.

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm confused here,are you in the military or not, the army needs GUNs and they have to practise killing people, I'm ok with that. Or are you pretending your in the military and doing military type training ( IE practising killing people)for no other reason than it makes You Feel good . Coz that is odd, all that weekend warrior stuff , crawling round the woods playing war games like a 10 year old
I am a civilian. However as a citizen, I have the responsability of protecting myself, my family, my comunity, and my country if need arises. I learned in my constitution and government class in high school, that militia is the sum of military force in a given nation, and that the citizenry make up the greatest portion of that potential force. It is intetesting to see the difference in cultutre here. I am not a member of a local militia (there are several), but I don't mind most of those guys either.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am a civilian. However as a citizen, I have the responsability of protecting myself, my family, my comunity, and my country if need arises. I learned in my constitution and government class in high school, that militia is the sum of military force in a given nation, and that the citizenry make up the greatest portion of that potential force. It is intetesting to see the difference in cultutre here. I am not a member of a local militia (there are several), but I don't mind most of those guys either.
Right so your walking about killing random mammals And coKE tins,as it's you patriotic duty, now I've heard everything

I was of the opinion that the U.S. Had quite a lot of actual soldiers, when are you envisioning having to defend your country,?

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
Right so your walking about killing random mammals And coKE tins,as it's you patriotic duty, now I've heard everything

I was of the opinion that the U.S. Had quite a lot of actual soldiers, when are you envisioning having to defend your country,?
I don't envision it. I fear it. Not since Vietmamn had the citizenry been called to serve. And not since long before have they fought on the homeland.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Our country is founded on the belief of inalienable rights including armed protection of yourself and others.

But that is a discussion for another board

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Fire arms do not cause a bit of a bruse, paintball guns are not fire arms,Any more than a grease gun is. plus they can cause serious injury .

Erm, never heard of rubber bullets, as used in crowd control? They bruise, and they're ejected from a firearm.

A paintbal gun's sole purpose is to pretend to be a firearm and be fired toward a person, pretending to kill them. I can't say the same about a grease gun.

Btw, I could cause a serious injury with my grease gun...

Well two thoughts, why are you spending countless hours of your life practising something they you never intend to do, and b) no matter what you claim that amount of practise means you are gun obesesed, and that's the very people who shouldn't have them

I practice shooting targets, because shooting targets is what I intend to do - why is it so hard for you to understand that not everyone who fires a gun wants to kill someone or something?

As for countless hours, well that's just pathetic. I've spent more time watching cartoons.

No matter what you claim, by training in a martial art (unless you practice some sort of no touch nonsense) you're practicing to use your own body in a more hostile fashion than I practice using a firearm.

Ergo, your argument has no merit.

Latest Discussions