Wacky stuff I've heard about firearms

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The standard ar15 and simular fifles are 5.56mm, which is functionally a .223 Remington. If I remember right, 5.56 is loaded a smidge lower pressure and the brass is a tad thinner. However, depending on how tight the tolorace of the chamber and throat, they both fire and cycle well to fine in each other. The 5.56 does better in .223 tham vice versa.
If I’m not mistaken, the AR-15 can shoot 2 different bullets. I think NATO issue (which is the rifle I was referring to) can shot both, whereas other variants can’t.

Either way, it was pretty loud.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I’m not mistaken, the AR-15 can shoot 2 different bullets. I think NATO issue (which is the rifle I was referring to) can shot both, whereas other variants can’t.

My OH agrees with you...... :)

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score

Either way, it was pretty loud.
The 5.56 is the nato standard. In a fine built 5.56 precision rifle with tight tolorance, the .223 shouldn't cycle well as it is a tad tight. In a military battle rifle the tolorance better not be tight. Both should work fine. In a gun chambered to .223 specs both work fine. So usually, they both work just fine. Same thing with 7.62 vs .308 win
EDIT: I think. I will have to check my books when I get home.

Last edited:

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
What is an OH?
'Other Half'
Comes from a time when 2 people actually committed their lives to each other, married and the two became as one. Hence 1 half and the Other Half.
Source? That doesn't match with my experience at all.

Also, Run With Fire, I am in no way arguing that a 5.56 is louder than a .30-06, but it's still plenty loud, especially from an SBR. Also, congrats on the new addition!

Peak dB SPL of Various Firearms and Ammunitions
Data from: “Auditory Risk to Unprotected Bystanders Exposed to Firearm Noise.”
Journal of the American Academy of Audiology 2011.
Data from The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health
“Assessment of Noise Exposure for Indoor and Outdoor Firing Ranges.” 2007.
Data from: “Estimates of auditory risk from Outdoor Impulse Noise II; Civilian Firearms.” Noise & Health Journal, 2009.
Data from: ”Comparison of Impulse Noise levels Generated by Firearms
Presented at 11th International Congress on Noise as a Public Health Problem (ICBEN) 2011, London, UK.
Data from: “Auditory Risk Estimates for Youth Target Shooting.” International Journal of Audiology, 2014.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Comes from a time when 2 people actually committed their lives to each other, married and the two became as one. Hence 1 half and the Other Half.

Forty three years for us, through wars (real ones) we've both been in and some tricky peace times too.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My view of fire arms is that any one who wants rather than needs a killing machine is mentally unsuitable to have one, wanting to storm round the forest killing various mammals is not a good excuse for having one..

Once they bring that in a lot of the problems will be solved

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
And there's also that 'husband deafness' when you are telling him something you need doing! :D
There also that, I don’t know exactly what to call it, wife “I don’t know how to-ness” when they don’t feel like doing something. My wife likes to act like she doesn’t know how to do certain things. She’s right, in a sense; it’s more that she refuses to learn how to do those things.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There also that, I don’t know exactly what to call it, wife “I don’t know how to-ness” when they don’t feel like doing something. My wife likes to act like she doesn’t know how to do certain things. She’s right, in a sense; it’s more that she refuses to learn how to do those things.

With being a military wife ( as well as being ex military myself) there's little I can't do as if I didn't do it then it wouldn't be done. You can't wait months until he's home from deployment.

Hanshi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Martial arts instructors are not alone in spreading ignorance concerning firearms. I was a cop for 9 years and taught firearms at the police academy. In the excitement of a stressful moment, most people either don't hear the shot or merely remember it as a distant "pop". Any hunter knows when you get a shot at a deer, you're usually not aware of sound of a discharge. And while the barrel/cylinder gap on a revolver will cut (maybe severely) a hand cupped over it, it takes much more than a cylinder or magazine of shots to make the firearm any more than simply "noticeably warm".

In an inclosed space such as a car, the sound of a discharge might be uncomfortable depending on the situation. Talking about concussion, I shoot a lot of black powder (muzzleloaders) guns. A cap and ball black powder pistol going off in an enclosed space IS painful.

Oni_Kadaki

Green Belt
Reaction score
Danny, I appreciate you citing your source. Just to check my own sanity I talked to one of my classmates (Air Force Security Forces Academy), who is a civilian SWAT officer, today about this very question. While he did not necessarily agree that 5.56mm is louder than 9mm, he did agree that it is much more uncomfortable to fire off without ear protection, particularly in close quarters. I interpret this to mean that even if 5.56mm is not necessarily louder, it produces greater blast and flash.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
My view of fire arms is that any one who wants rather than needs a killing machine is mentally unsuitable to have one, wanting to storm round the forest killing various mammals is not a good excuse for having one..

Well, that should really depend on whether you view them purely as a killing machine...

I like target shooting, so for me it's a machine for killing paper.

I have a bow, it's good at killing straw bundles (it'd be just as effective against a mammal too). Archery does sound posher than shooting.

I also have a crossbow, see above.

Knives too, got a few of those for different purposes. They're quite sharp and pointy.

I study how to overcome other people and how to cause them pain and damage. I call it "martial arts"...

Oh, and I have a car - it'd make a fantastic bludgeoning weapon.

So, want or need?

Why would a civilian need a firearm/projectile weapon/cutting weapon/bludgeon? Self defence in this instance can't count, because that being a "need" is debatable and it becomes a "wanted killing machine" as soon as the intention is to use it against another.

So, why want one? There are more reasons to want one other than to kill stuff.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, that should really depend on whether you view them purely as a killing machine...

I have a bow, it's good at killing straw bundles (it'd be just as effective against a mammal too). Archery does sound posher than shooting.

Knives too, got a few of those for different purposes. They're quite sharp and pointy.

I study how to overcome other people and how to cause them pain and damage. I call it "martial arts"...

So, want or need?

Why would a civilian need a firearm/projectile weapon/cutting weapon/bludgeon? Self defence in this instance can't count, because that being a "need" is debatable and it becomes a "wanted killing machine" as soon as the intention is to use it against another.

So, want or need?

Well GUNs have no other purpose than to kill things, if your shooting TARkets ,your practising killing things. It's rather the same with your Bow and crossbow to be honest, if you want to show of your hand eye coordination, play snooker or darts, or if you want something pOSHer, play croquet,

Look at it this way, if someone spent their Sunday afternoon practising hitting People shaped tarkets with their car, you might suspect them of being unsuitable to own a car

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well GUNs have no other purpose than to kill things, if your shooting TARkets ,your practising killing things. It's rather the same with your Bow and crossbow to be honest, if you want to show of your hand eye coordination, play snooker or darts, or if you want something pOSHer, play croquet,

Look at it this way, if someone spent their Sunday afternoon practising hitting People shaped tarkets with their car, you might suspect them of being unsuitable to own a car
I'm not intetested in a heated discussion.

Most folks I have see target shoot didn't ise person shapped ones. I've shot more pop cans and baseballs than paper targets. In my martial arts, firearm trainig is in the curriculem. The purpose of my martial arts is to be able to end any threat against myself or others. A firearm gives people the option to call the bet if a threat raises the stakes.
It is a requirement in my training that I own a handgun and apply and attain a Concealed Pistol License (if legal) in my training.
I believe I have much different views than you in margial arts.
My philosohpy of martial arts is as follows: to be able to asess a threat and apply necesary force within the Use Of Force Continueum. Use Of Force Continueum: Controll-Incapacitate-Terminate. It basically means apply pain, knock out, kill. So trairing to kill quickly and efficiently is part of my martial art AKA military training.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score

And how is doing drills against a BOB or similar any different?

That's person shaped, and it's sole purpose is to practice hitting something person shaped. You don't do it to practice tickling.

If I'm shooting targets, I'm practicing to shoot targets better and more consistently. My targets aren't even shaped like any sort of creature (except maybe a jellyfish viewed from above). I have no intention to turn that weapon against a living being for fun.

In a survival situation I could admittedly turn that practiced skill around and use it for hunting and/or defence - and it might help me do better than someone who can't/won't shoot/loose.

If anything, my shooting could be considered less of an aggressive hobby than my MA practice, where I do practice hitting people.

Latest Discussions