Voting Age

M

MartialArtist68

The current voting age is eighteen. This was lowered from the age of 21 back in the Vietnam war when eighteen-year-olds whom were drafted brought up the argument that if they were old enough to die for thier country, they were old enough to vote.

The current voting laws need to be changed yet again. As a tax payer, I am being cheated out of the rights of American citizens just because I am fifteen. The law needs to be changed so that ALL taxpayers can vote instead of a group of adults, some of whom don't have any idea of what's going on, anyway.

Cheers,
pck

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
What's the difference! The 18 year olds don't vote anyway!

And hardly anyone else does either.:vu:

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Good point but I have a counter point:

Drivers licence = most states 16

Legal Adult = 18

Voting = 18

Drinking age = 21

Insurance goes down = 25

As in life our laws are set up to give more responsibility with wisdom. since there is no way to gage wisdom we as a society must rely on age.

You can join the military at 17 with parents concent. Should we be alowed to vote at 17 with parents concent?

I like your point it well thought out however I think that I like the laws the way they are. Keep following the news and keep getting involved you are what this country is missing. A younger generation that actually cares.

Respectfully

Rick English

OP
S

shaolinchi

I like the idea, but I have to disagree also! I am 21, am a full time student at UCONN, I don't have a job, and I don't pay taxes. Does that mean I wouldn't get to vote. And at 18 when I could vote, I did. Not all 18 year olds are slackers ;)

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think 15 year old's should vote. Heck I was paying taxes at 11 cause of capitol gains, sure don't think I should have had the right to vote then. I don't think most young adults are mature enough and understand enough of the world to make a truly informed choice. There are always the expections to the rule and pck you may be one of those, but I think those who are the expections are few and far between. I'm 23 and I am not even sure I understand the world enough to make a truly informed choice.
As a side note some legislator or senator in Calif. was trying to pass a bill to get kids more interested in voting by giving like 14 and 15 year olds a 1/4 vote and 16 and 17 year olds a 1/2 vote I think. Don't know what came of it.

OP
M

MartialArtist68

Ping898 said:
I don't think 15 year old's should vote. Heck I was paying taxes at 11 cause of capitol gains, sure don't think I should have had the right to vote then. I don't think most young adults are mature enough and understand enough of the world to make a truly informed choice. There are always the expections to the rule and pck you may be one of those, but I think those who are the expections are few and far between.

I can understand what you are saying, but a lot of adults aren't capable of making an informed decision. Also, those of us that care are the only ones that would research and make the "correct" decision anyway.

BTW, thanks for the compliment! ;-)

Regards,
pck

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sorry, but I think a citizen should have a right to vote when that citizen is legally responsible for him/herself, and in most states, that age is 18. I'm sure there are some younger citizens that could probably make a decent, well-informed decision, and, yes, for every one of them there must be 10,000 legal adults who base their voting decisions based on anger, finger-pointing and propaganda. These few minors are, indeed, rare.

You have an interesting point, however, about the fact that you pay taxes. I'm going to risk thread gankage here. Would all you reading say, then, that this is taxation without representation? If minors cannot vote, should they be paying taxes at all?

JPR

Green Belt
Reaction score
No matter where you set the line there will always be a debate over moving it.

In our culture, 18 has been choosen as the age of majority (most places). It is interesting how time changes perspectives. If you rewind to 1800ish, at 14 or 15 a young man or woman was getting married and setting up their own house / family, today that is unheard of.

As to taxation without representation, as minor you are represented by your parents. If you feel that your parents are uninformed, engage them in political discourse. This could have several effects; 1) you could find they are smarter than you think they are, 2) they could find you are smarter/more mature/wiser than they think you are, 3) all of you could learn something and become more informed on the issues, 4) and you spend family time together.

JPR

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If at 15 you have enough income to demand the right to vote, surely you should be paying rent.

As a minor, don't your parents have the option of including your income on their tax returns?

Without reaching a minimum threshold of income, don't you pay zero dollars in taxes? (Yes I know FICA & MEDICARE are still withheld, but that is withheld for your benefit when you reach retirement and therefore should not be considered a 'tax').

As a wage earner, aren't you receiving some of the benefits of society (such as maximum labor hours for minors)? Therefore, shouldn't you contribute to the society that provides those benefits, regardless of taxation.

Wondering - Mike

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shaolinchi said:
I like the idea, but I have to disagree also! I am 21, am a full time student at UCONN, I don't have a job, and I don't pay taxes. Does that mean I wouldn't get to vote. And at 18 when I could vote, I did. Not all 18 year olds are slackers ;)

How is it you don't pay taxes. I'm sure you pay sales tax, federal income tax, if you have any income. If not then your parents pay taxes on you. Should they then get two votes, one for them and one for you.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
OULobo said:
How is it you don't pay taxes. I'm sure you pay sales tax, federal income tax, if you have any income. If not then your parents pay taxes on you. Should they then get two votes, one for them and one for you.
Isn't that a great example as to the definition of 'TAXES'. We often through the term around without defining what it is we mean.

I live and shop in New Hampshire, a Sales Tax Free state.

Wage earners with less than $7,000.00 in income are not required to pay Federal Income Tax.

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
At eighteen you have the right to declare autonomy from your parents, join the military without parental consent, marry and have children, purchase a home and have other extended property rights not awarded to a minor. You will be tried as an adult in court.

I'm not sure, but at fifteen you may be immune from certain law suits...those being directed at your parents or guardians.

At your age you are also deprived of full Constitutional rights regarding free speech and privacy. You're subject to searches that I would not be subject to if I were on your high school campus. You are not allowed free assembly on school grounds if the school administration forbids it. You are not allowed to grow your hair if they have grooming regulations, and you must wear certain clothes if they require it. You can be spanked in Indiana schools for misbehavior. If you commit a crime, your name will be witheld from the paper in order to spare you the stigma of being a criminal. Your court records can be sealed in some states if you are a minor...even if you commit a homicide. You are not required to do jury duty. You are not allowed collective bargaining rights. You are limited in the hours you are allowed to work per week.

You are a minor child and not held to full obligation insofar as society's expectations of conduct. You enjoy certain protections, and are denied certain rights. One of those rights is voting.

Regards,

Steve

Ping898

Senior Master
Reaction score
I also think that pck u are putting too much emphasis on the right to vote in and of itself. Yes I realize every vote counts and the more people that vote, the better, but I don't think if you suddenly allowed every tax payer under 18 to vote, that much of a difference would be made. Even though people under 18 can't vote, they do have the ability to get involved in politics and make a difference and make their opinion heard (like that kid that spoke at the democratic convention). I think being under the voting age and making your voice heard in ways besides voting would have more impact. If having a certain person win or a certain law passed was so important, speaking at rallies or just being a part of those door to door campaigns would probably do more good than suddenly allowing everyone under the age of 18 that pays taxes to vote.

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
What I want to know is this: How come you can get your driver's license at age 16, and you can drive until you're 101 without ever taking another drivers' test?

OK, I'm off topic...

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
I also ought to mention that I'm impressed with your desire to be a part of the political process...even if you are jumping the gun by three years.

Regards,

Steve

deadhand31

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
The 7th layer of Hell. Wisconsin, to the rest of y
I don't think we really need to change the voting age. I have known very few people who were politically informed enough to make decisions at 18, let alone anyone below that age. As for tax laws, I know that they are somewhat different for minors. As a minor, you don't have to file a tax return. That means if your tax return says you owe more, you don't have to file, without fear of being audited. That's a choice that those over 18 don't have.

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (Who remembers this one?)

This is an interesting dilemma for you, MartialArtist. There are some pretty sound arguments pro and con, with the most convincing one for me being the driver's license eligibility. Why is it that we entrust 16 year olds to drive responsibly, having other people's lives in their hands and yet they can't make other decisions which would seem to have as great an importance? Just a thought.

Also, as was pointed out, you COULD work for a candidate's campaign on the local level. That would make a difference -- especially in your life. Looking at it in an altruistic manner, you can work from within for the legal reform you so desire. From a self-promotion point of view, it looks great on a college application (sorry - I'm a mom first and always). Oh - the only problem could be if you aren't volunteering and are a paid campaign worker. Those darn taxes again.

Steve - Spanking is legal in Indiana? KT

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I also agree with Steve's comment that it is commendable that you desire to be a part of the political process. It is amazing how many legal adults don't care - either because they subconsciously (or even consciously) believe that as Americans, our rights are untouchable, the process doesn't affect them that much, etcetera, etcetera. Many feel the vote is rigged and, therefore, purposeless.

It very well may be that this apathy is at least partially at fault for the bastardization of the political process in this country and is the narrow thread from which we dangle our liberties, freedom, equality and social balance.

Kenpo Tiger offered an excellent suggestion - volunteer for a political campaign. I think, given your age, you have a wonderful opportunity to work for several sides - a Democratic campaign, a Republican campaign, an independent campaign. Find out how they are all run. What an opportunity to learn - and so few citizens really do this.

Stay informed, stay interested, stay active, remain American.

TwistofFat

Green Belt
Reaction score
I wanted to vote when I was 15 as well. 20+ years later I do not think I would have recognized that person. Kudos to your desire and involvement!

Write down 20 things about yourself and your political desires and put them somewhere you can keep them save. Open it in 3 years (when you can vote)/10/20 and remember what that kid (no disrespect) was like. I did it and it helped keep me on track. It is amazing how my politics have changed with each step.

Good luck - Glenn.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
MartialArtist68 said:
The current voting age is eighteen. This was lowered from the age of 21 back in the Vietnam war when eighteen-year-olds whom were drafted brought up the argument that if they were old enough to die for thier country, they were old enough to vote.

The current voting laws need to be changed yet again. As a tax payer, I am being cheated out of the rights of American citizens just because I am fifteen. The law needs to be changed so that ALL taxpayers can vote instead of a group of adults, some of whom don't have any idea of what's going on, anyway.

Cheers,
pck
2 Questions:

Concerning non-citizens - They are required to pay taxes, should we extend the right to vote to 'Green Carded' foreign nationals?

Are you asking about voting, or railing against taxes?

Mike

Latest Discussions