Hollywood Hypocrisy by Geraldine A. Ferraro

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hollywood Hypocrisy

The New York Times EXCERPT:

Geraldine A. Ferraro, a lawyer and a former member of Congress, was the Democratic vice presidential candidate in 1984.

“A male is guilty of rape in the second degree when, being eighteen years old or more, he engages in sexual intercourse with a female less than fifteen years old. Rape in the second degree is a class D felony.”
That is the current law in New York. When I was prosecuting these cases in Queens in the 70’s the law required that the child be less than 14. The legislature tightened it. But there is no doubt that California had the same protections for children when Polanski was prosecuted in California for having intercourse with a 13-year-old girl. It still does.

This is the definition of statutory rape. Notice, it doesn’t talk about force and it doesn’t talk about consent. Neither are needed. The statute is meant to protect children. A 13-year-old can’t consent to intercourse with a man over 18, and certainly not with a man in his 30’s.
Polanski was convicted of a serious crime in the 70’s. He chose to abscond to France and because he had money and connections, has lived a charmed life, unhindered by his obligations to society. The message is, rich guys can get away with anything … or wait — is it only rich guys with friends in Hollywood? The statute of limitations for rape does not toll simply because 31 years has passed. And victims cannot “forgive” the rapist. The criminal justice system is meant to protect all of us.

END EXCERPT READ THE REST!
I would have bet money I didn't agree with Ferraro on anything, I am pleasently surprised.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'll be very interested to see how this case turns out. I once heard a wise and cynical old lawyer comment that in this country, there are two kinds of justice. One for the rich... and another for the very rich!

...The rest of us take what we can get.

If this is true, I guess the outcome will depend largely on just how much money Polanski has.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'll be very interested to see how this case turns out. I once heard a wise and cynical old lawyer comment that in this country, there are two kinds of justice. One for the rich... and another for the very rich!

...The rest of us take what we can get.

If this is true, I guess the outcome will depend largely on just how much money Polanski has.

Say this five times fast and then moveon: "Which rich is the Mark Rich rich?"

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What Polanski did was wrong and he goddamned well knew it! He knew before he did it, he knew during and he knew afterwards. The fact that he wasn't extradited back to the U.S. by France says something right there about how the country views this sort of behavior, or at least it didn't happen in THEIR country so he's innocent there?

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What Polanski did was wrong and he goddamned well knew it! He knew before he did it, he knew during and he knew afterwards. The fact that he wasn't extradited back to the U.S. by France says something right there about how the country views this sort of behavior, or at least it didn't happen in THEIR country so he's innocent there?
It shows what they think of their titular allies as well...

Frostbite

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It shows what they think of their titular allies as well...

It's a larger issue than this. France generally won't extradite its own citizens for crimes not involving rape or murder. Polanski pleaded guilty to "unlawful sexual intercourse," which I don't think the French courts really see as rape, per se. Splitting hairs, for sure but it's their prerogative.

That said, I'd really like to see this guy get put away.

Latest Discussions