Video From The Daily Show, Marines In Berkeley

The Master

Bow Before Me.
Reaction score
Great video from the Daily show. A must see! I have to say, that so far this is my best example of how Liberalism is a mental disorder.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=163653&title=marines-in-berkeley
A video from a comedy "news" program that uses hired actors to play parts in fabricated distortions for humour purposes is your best example? This tells me all I need to know concerning you and your purpose.

This section of this Internet forum is intended for serious discussion, with real facts, real evidence and their ilk. You appear to have made a posting error when your "example" was best directed at the Humour section.

If this was however, as I fear, an attempt to use this "comedy" as an serious argument, then I would suggest you contact this person, as his views and yours will no doubt align quite well, and you will find him just as credible as comedian John Stewart.

Concerning the real issue, The Marines have a right to be there to recruit. The town however is under no obligation to welcome them. Thy also have the right and the moral responsibility to restrict said recruiting so that the targets of recruitment can make a fair and informed decision. This is especially important since their decision may require them to die in their near future. Joining any military branch, but especially one with such a history as the US Marine Corp, is not a decision to be taken lightly. Marines should be the best of the best, and not art house rejects.

Semper Fi.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are some liberals who are egg on the face of the entire idea of social fairness. Just like there are some conservatives who are a pox on the GOP.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Humor as political commentary has a long tradition. I can see the point.

OP
N

navyvetcv60

Orange Belt
Reaction score
A video from a comedy "news" program that uses hired actors to play parts in fabricated distortions for humour purposes is your best example? This tells me all I need to know concerning you and your purpose.

This section of this Internet forum is intended for serious discussion, with real facts, real evidence and their ilk. You appear to have made a posting error when your "example" was best directed at the Humor section.

If this was however, as I fear, an attempt to use this "comedy" as an serious argument, then I would suggest you contact this person, as his views and yours will no doubt align quite well, and you will find him just as credible as comedian John Stewart.

Concerning the real issue, The Marines have a right to be there to recruit. The town however is under no obligation to welcome them. Thy also have the right and the moral responsibility to restrict said recruiting so that the targets of recruitment can make a fair and informed decision. This is especially important since their decision may require them to die in their near future. Joining any military branch, but especially one with such a history as the US Marine Corp, is not a decision to be taken lightly. Marines should be the best of the best, and not art house rejects.

Semper Fi.

The hired actor is a former MARINE. And although this was done in humor it in know way belittles the facts.
Regarding my "purpose" I don't need pseudo intellectuals to try and figure out my "Purpose"
The city does not have a right to restrict recruitment! As long as said city accepts federal tax dollars they have no right to deny recruitment centers, if they did have the right the Marines would not be there any longer and I do believe they are still there in the cess pool called Berkeley.
As a U.S. Navy vet that worked with many Marines, and having a son that is a U.S. Marine Recruiter i can tell you first hand that they ARE the best of the best.
Semper Fi & Anchors Away.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Marines should be the best of the best, and not art house rejects.

I'm tempted to steal this for my sig, but I would also like to point out that just because a vocal majority of the city fit this category doesn't mean that there aren't good Marines to be found in Berkeley. The city needs to quit hindering the Corps' mission, or at least admit that "tolerance" isn't really their thing.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well if people want to be marines I'm sure they'll find a way to be whether there's a recruiting office in their town or not. Not going to be marine material if they can't find a way are they?
I would however point out that US Marines while being very good aren't maybe the best of the best worldwide. Best in America yes but not in the world. That would have to be the Royal Marine Commandos and especially the Special Boat Squadron.
>sits back waiting for howls of disagreement rofl< :wink2:

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No disagreement from me ... looks at the country I'm from ... Ohhh ... my opinions couldn't be coloured by that could they? :D.

Navyvet, you're as entitled to your opinion as anyone else but you're starting to step a bit too close to the line when it comes to how you make your points. It's fine to disagree and it's fine to agree to disagree; some views will never meld.

What is not fine is to indulge in personally directed insulting comments, even ones you might not think are all that offensive e.g.:

Regarding my "purpose" I don't need pseudo intellectuals to try and figure out my "Purpose"

If directed at another member of these boards then that is not acceptable.

Also, we all know your views by now, there is no need to trot out your 'Liberalism is a disease' catchphrase every post. Honestly, if it does anything other than get peoples backs up, such rhetoric harms your case rather than helps it.

Trying to play a little nicer and building an argument for your views would be much more condusive to a happy stay here at MT.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have to agree with Sukerkin. As a former Marine, I appreciate your passion, navyvet. But right now you're at ten; we need you at about a seven. :asian:

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Makes one wonder just what Code Pink is trying to accomplish aside from being hated equally by either side of the political spectrum.

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That would have to be the Royal Marine Commandos and especially the Special Boat Squadron.
>sits back waiting for howls of disagreement rofl< :wink2:

You are talking about the British SAS -- The Regiment at Hereford, right???

I have a friend who is a US Marine right now -- he is on his freaking fourth tour now. I was joking once -- I said that the US Army Rangers is what we have here that is like the Regiment. He threw a fit a little -- he got a little exited about that, and then He said that the SAS is the ONLY guys that he saw in the field over there that he would have no problem with them having his back -- no joke -- and this guy has busted in rooms and all of that.

He says that they are everything that is said about them -- the original commandos, no joking!!!

Now, this movie may have been better placed in the comedy thread, that's not for me to say, but I swear to you all, I almost passed out from laughing so hard when they showed those people dressed up silly outside the office and then in the window you can see those guys doing pull ups and such -- its just too much. Hahahahaha I can see it now, if one of those guys walked outside and hit one of those people -- BAM! Martial arts or no martial arts, it would probably be a knockout! Hahahaha!!!

My friend who is a US Marine advised me to join the BJJ school here to be "a bully" -- take the fight TO the freaking opponent, that school instills the meanness to the students -- but I am too old for that! He told me that he sometimes is sick and wants to throw up and have a headache when he walks out -- if it has that affect on him, it would most likely KILL me!!!

Hahahahahahaha!!! If anyone thinks that the youth of this country is of no value, they have not met my friend, thats all that I can say!!!

Robert

The Master

Bow Before Me.
Reaction score
The hired actor is a former MARINE. And although this was done in humor it in know way belittles the facts.
The city does not have a right to restrict recruitment! As long as said city accepts federal tax dollars they have no right to deny recruitment centers, if they did have the right the Marines would not be there any longer and I do believe they are still there in the cess pool called Berkeley.
As a U.S. Navy vet that worked with many Marines, and having a son that is a U.S. Marine Recruiter i can tell you first hand that they ARE the best of the best.
Semper Fi & Anchors Away.

"pseudo intellectuals". Very nice. There is, I must say, nothing "pseudo" about my intellect. But then, I didn't relax on a ship while the real men were out actually fighting either.

Some of us have actually read the Constitution and other government documents and understand things. Others argue from emotion and ignorance. I believe you to be in the later group guppy.

As I said, but you were unable to understand: The Marines have a right to be there. The city has the right to not like it and say so. I support the military yet I do not want their recruiters setting up shop in my son's high school. It is a simple concept, one that a true Defender of the Constitution would understand.

To be honest, debating you is a waste of time. A mind, such as yours, such as it is, is set in its limited way, and not worth the effort it would take to guide to enlightenment. Good day sir. I shant view your ignorant blather further.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If I weren't a board admin I would probably say something to navyvetcv60 like, "Did you come here to bully everyone around and insult everyone, because you're not really representing your son's efforts nor your country very well, ya salty bastard! If you hate all of us here, let me show you the door."

But ... I'm on the admin team and ... can't say things like that. :uhyeah:

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Attention all dudes. If you want to kiss and/or get laid by some hot hippie chicks, pretend to be a potential recruit for the marines. Yeah, I know, it's not ideal because code pink is "doin it" for the cause, but one might as well reap the benefits while it lasts.

This message is brought to you by Enron...energy for the future and beyond!

little_miss_fracus

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If I weren't a board admin I would probably say something to navyvetcv60 like, "Did you come here to bully everyone around and insult everyone, because you're not really representing your son's efforts nor your country very well, ya salty bastard! If you hate all of us here, let me show you the door."

But ... I'm on the admin team and ... can't say things like that. :uhyeah:

HA HA HA

Would you like for me to say it for you?

:)

What is that guy's problem, anyway?

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You are talking about the British SAS -- The Regiment at Hereford, right???

Not quite, Rob. They're not as 'famous' as the SAS because they're Navy and thus less involved with the sort of operations that catch the media limelight. The SBS are just as good and do the same sort of operations but do it either underwater or from the water.

http://www.specialboatservice.co.uk/

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Concerning the real issue, The Marines have a right to be there to recruit. The town however is under no obligation to welcome them. Thy also have the right and the moral responsibility to restrict said recruiting so that the targets of recruitment can make a fair and informed decision.
I missed the "real issue:" Restrict the recruiting (and the information that accompanies it) so that those who oppose recruiting can freely dispense their information. In this way, people will be able to make an "informed" decision.

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What is that guy's problem, anyway?

The jury is out at present.

Sometimes a person can come on like a train because it's the way they've handled problems before and it's always worked (in the real world at least). That kind of mistaken approach to internet life can be corrected if it is realised that belligerence and aggressive arguing wins no victories on the Web.

Sometimes a person is just genuinely unpleasant. There's not a lot you can do about that other than incentivise the requirement to be polite. By this I mean that the Moderators of a site have the ability to remove a members access either temporarily or permanently if they do not follow the codes that everyone agreed to when they signed up.

Sometimes a person is just a Troll, who gets their Net pleasure from winding everyone up and causing general mischief. The cure for that is as above but also it is helpful not to rise to the bait i.e. Do Not Feed The Trolls :D. Harder to do than to say if someone punches our particular buttons tho', which is how Trolls manage to maintain an existence.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Latest Discussions