Video Camera

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hi All,
I got a video camera for christmas about 6 years ago and I just had an idea. I have set it up in the basement so that I can videotape my practice sessions and look at them later to see what needs improving. Does anybody have any experience with this, what it helps with and what it doesn't help with, what angles are best etc...

I am hoping that this will help me improve my form as well as my kicking. I have coordination issues which means figuring out where all my limbs are during a kick is pretty much impossible. If I can record my kicks and play them back I can see where everything is.

I has the idea tonight when I was practicing a jumping side kick for the next test (it is the board breaking kick I need to do). I was trying to work out how I can get more altitude (I am a ground pounder) and trying to figure out where everything was during the kick was impossible. I started thinking how I could do it and then I remembered the old video camera in the closet.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Video cameras are a great training tool - "the camera does not lie". I tape my students periodically so that I can show them what they're doing; I can say "change this to that" and they'll try - but if I tape them so they can see what they're doing, then it helps immensely.

A tripod is a great tool for this. If there's someone there who can follow you as you move, you'll get more detail, but if not, just put the camera on the widest setting it has and adjust after you try it a few times.

KEritano

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If you also have a computer and video editing software, you could then edit out all the unnecessary film and have a very useful video clip. Plus once you download it onto your PC, you can then create a dvd to watch as you train.

I've done this and it is an eye opener.

Good luck

bdparsons

Black Belt
Reaction score
Be sure to film yourself from different angles. Also, make sure you know the limits of the camera's field of view. Nothing like having a terrific workout and finding only half of it is actually in frame.

Respects,
Bill Parsons
Triangle Kenpo Institute

TKDmel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Its a great training aid. Just don't be too upset with yourself when you view it. It really is an eye opener on how you really look as compared to how it "felt".

OP
igillman

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have no delusions of adequacy with regards to me and TKD so it has not been a problem seeing how bad I look so far. On the jumping kicks I have a habit of dragging the lower leg instead of lifting it up. As a result of this my Korean name is now Wun-Hung-Lo :D

kittybreed

Green Belt
Reaction score
My husband and I have found that if 2 people videotape at different angles at the same time you can really dissect a kick especially if an impartial experenced kicker can look at the tape with you.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have no delusions of adequacy with regards to me and TKD so it has not been a problem seeing how bad I look so far. On the jumping kicks I have a habit of dragging the lower leg instead of lifting it up. As a result of this my Korean name is now Wun-Hung-Lo :D

Keep that up and you'll pick up the nickname "Sweep The Leg" : )