Video books?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't know about books going away in any of our lifetimes. I can easily believe that Amazon sells more e-books, the Kindle versions are almost always cheaper....plus your delivery is instant and future shopping is right there at your fingertips. I think I bought more books within my first 60 days of owning the Kindle than I have in the previous 3 or so years combined. It doesn't hurt that they have material from lesser known authors for free or short money. I'll find a book I like, read it, and if Amazon recommends a similar sort of book for a buck or two, I often take a chance on it. I absolutely love having my newspaper delivered to my Kindle! I prefer reading the news (instead of having it read to me), and it is very nice not having to worry about smudgy fingerprints or newspapers piling up in the kitchen :)

That being said, I still strongly prefer books. I still buy books. I loathe doing serious reading on a computer screen. As an engineer, it is great having a PDF copy of a reference book because the book is so much easier to search and quote. But reading such a book as a text (to me anyway) is painful. The content of engineering texts is dry and painful enough as it is. I do like the Kindle ink screen better than the typical computer screen -- the kindle at least isn't blinking at me. If all things were equal, I'd rather have a real book.