Vice President Dick Cheney Shoots Hunting Colleague

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kenpojujitsu

"A closed mind is the enemy of common sense"

YOu should probably heed your own advice in this situation.

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I haven't read the rest of this thread but I did see a bumper sticker today that said

"I would rather hunt with Dick Cheney than Ride with Ted Kennedy."

V/R

Rick

OP
M

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Brother John said:
Honestly Mike, I think it's kind of funny or odd that you're wasting this much keyboard time on this matter. Seeing as how you like to highlight and emphasize the blunders or mistakes or whatnot of this administration... seems like they hand you enough Real Hay without you needing to inflate this issue MUCH bigger than it really is....
a hunting accident between two old men, where they both shared in the fault.

Your Brother
John

Well, John, one of the reasons is that througout this weekend, my back has been acting up, and I was unable to get out of bed Saturday, Sunday or Monday. A laptop, a wireless card, and a bucket of time on my hands. I've also been pretty close to home on Tuesday and Wednesday with my back, and a sick dog.

There is an awful lot in your post that we could address, but much would be spinning wheels. But let me add this. You mention a comment of mine was snide, sarcastic and rude.

Absolutely. I plead guilty. But, please take a look at sgtmac_46's comments preceeding that comment. At least three times he attempted to draw me into a discussion on auto accidents. At first I ignored it. Then I explained why I would not address it. Then he challenged me on that. Then someone (not sgtmac_46) asked for a clarification, which I provided, which he challenged.

So, yes, I was exasperrated.

Fair enough.

Personally, I think the whole episode is representative if the adminstration ... Shoot First ... sort it out later ... Iraq, Tax Cuts, Energy Policy, Environmental Policy. But, I haven't argued that.

I have argued that a son-of-a-***** that shoots someone while hunting deserves to have their hunting privileges revoked for life. Not the least because, someday I may be in the woods while they are hunting.

I also think that Cheney was probably lit up like a Christmas tree. In his youth, he had two instances of Driving While Intoxicated. I think he is a drunk that uses his hunting weekends to binge.

I think the Secret Service, by prohibiting the local law enforcement from interviewing the members of the hunting party on Saturday night, commited an act, that if it is not criminal (obstruction), it should be. Hell, are the Secret Service Law Enforcment Officers?

Knock yourselves out .... http://www.cagle.com/news/CheneyShoots/main.asp

But, I am not talking about that .... I just think he should not be able to hunt again.

P.S. Concering the Vice President's negligent licensing ... he did not have the correct upland bird stamp for his hunting license ... the ranch owner ... Ms. Armstrong is the former commissioner of Texas Parks and Wildlife. It is also criminal that she would allow a hunt to take place on her property without appropriate licensing ... SHE should have known.

K

kenpojujitsu

I saw a great bumpersticker tonight:

"I's still rather go hunting with Dick Cheney than riding with Ted Kennedy".

K

kenpojujitsu

"I think the Secret Service, by prohibiting the local law enforcement from interviewing the members of the hunting party on Saturday night, commited an act, that if it is not criminal (obstruction), it should be. Hell, are the Secret Service Law Enforcment Officers? "

Another loe put out by the democrats and the left wing media.
The Secret Service offered at the time of the accident to make the VP available for questioning. It was the local law enforcement who said they would wait until the next morning.

Cheney himself encouraged the witnesses to tell the story. Even asked one of them to take the story to the press.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rick Wade said:
I haven't read the rest of this thread but I did see a bumper sticker today that said

"I would rather hunt with Dick Cheney than Ride with Ted Kennedy."

V/R

Rick

I like that! Politically, I cannot stand Cheney, but I really, really have a problem with the way Kennedy got off.

Regarding this thread: like I wrote upthread, this sounds like a "mutual mistake" type circumstance and we will probably never know for sure what truly happened. However, if the injured man recovers, it really is not, IMO, a major issue.

My feeling is the VP and his friend probably screwed up, but this is not at the same level (or even within 100 miles of it) of Sen. Kennedy's actions that night at Chappaquidick, which, IMO, demonstrated moral turpitude rather than the carelessness of a hunting accident.

If Sen. Kennedy stands up and "demands answers" from the Vice-President, I think I will be sick.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
My feeling is the VP and his friend probably screwed up, but this is not at the same level (or even within 100 miles of it) of Sen. Kennedy's actions that night at Chappaquidick, which, IMO, demonstrated moral turpitude rather than the carelessness of a hunting accident.

If Sen. Kennedy stands up and "demands answers" from the Vice-President, I think I will be sick.
I completely agree. Kennedy has been a pockmark on the face of the Democratic party long enough.

OP
M

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
kenpojujitsu said:
Another loe put out by the democrats and the left wing media.
The Secret Service offered at the time of the accident to make the VP available for questioning. It was the local law enforcement who said they would wait until the next morning.

I'ld love you to source this claim. Everything I have read has been contrary to that, and on account that it calls me a liar.I look forward to your response.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
Kennedy has been a pockmark on the face of the Democratic party long enough.
Yes!
I'm not a Democrat, true, but I see ALL of our elected officials as working for every American of every stripe. I think that there are probably very good, motivated and intelligent Young Democrats who need to get a chance to step up and get to work... but Dead Weight like Kennedy are pretty much just taking up space. I'd bet the party would see new strength if they shrugged him and some Like him, off.
I feel the same way about members of Both parties by the way.

Your Brother
John

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
Well, John, one of the reasons is that througout this weekend, my back has been acting up, and I was unable to get out of bed Saturday, Sunday or Monday. A laptop, a wireless card, and a bucket of time on my hands. I've also been pretty close to home on Tuesday and Wednesday with my back, and a sick dog.
WOW.... when it rains it pours huh? You and your dog, both down! That's no good. Sorry to hear about your infirmities.
There is an awful lot in your post that we could address, but much would be spinning wheels.
Yes. It didn't think you'd be able to argue with much of what I said. Arguing against fact and logic does make one spin ones wheels.
But you gave some of the issues your best effort anyway, so lets look at those.
((I must be Pretty bored too, seeing as how this thread SHOULD have been over a LONG long time ago. Now it's degenerated to the point that we are talking about how we are talking about it. ha!! As long as we both realize that that's what we are doing I guess.))
Absolutely. I plead guilty. But, please take a look at sgtmac_46's comments preceeding that comment. At least three times he attempted to draw me into a discussion on auto accidents. At first I ignored it. Then I explained why I would not address it. Then he challenged me on that. Then someone (not sgtmac_46) asked for a clarification, which I provided, which he challenged. So, yes, I was exasperrated.
So I guess your apology for it is: "Well, he started it."
T'sokay, I've used that'n myself.
Personally I can understand why you'd find it exasperating to defend some of the points you're trying to make.
Personally, I think the whole episode is representative if the adminstration ... Shoot First ... sort it out later ... Iraq, Tax Cuts, Energy Policy, Environmental Policy. But, I haven't argued that.
:lol: You Just DID Mike.
ok, that's funny.
I have argued that a son-of-a-***** that shoots someone while hunting deserves to have their hunting privileges revoked for life. Not the least because, someday I may be in the woods while they are hunting.
Not my concern, like I've said. But I will say that I don't think having an accident makes a person a "SOB", careless or wreckless or something like that? sure. I do think it's a pretty low thing to be calling his mother names just because he shared the blame with another fella in a hunting accident.
((BTW: Bob's said that we're not supposed to use those ***** to replace swear words, just to type what we type and let the sensor....thingie....pick it up. Guess it's against policy to use those cussing/replacement ...thingies.))
I also think that Cheney was probably lit up like a Christmas tree. In his youth, he had two instances of Driving While Intoxicated. I think he is a drunk that uses his hunting weekends to binge.
Is there ANY sign that he's had any drinking problems as an adult or even w/in the last 20-30 years of his life??? I don't think I've heard of them. Seems to me that you're making something up... infact, making a great deal up. Calling people a "drunk" and saying that their hobby is nothing more than an excuse to 'binge' is pretty darn inflamatory and a LONG stretch.
As you've said of others, I'd LOVE to see how you back this up by siting evidence or sighting sources. Otherwise I (and perhaps the secret service) would LOVE to know how you know so much about the behind the scene's goings on of VP Cheyney's private hunting expeditions.....
no, really.
I think the Secret Service, by prohibiting the local law enforcement from interviewing the members of the hunting party on Saturday night, commited an act, that if it is not criminal (obstruction), it should be. Hell, are the Secret Service Law Enforcment Officers?
Again, you know all about the behind the scenes stuff! That's so cool. OR did you just read what other people are "saying" went on, when even they might not Really know...?...and then filling in the gaps with the worst case scenario possible because, well, he's Dick Cheney after all. What he's done (or those who work with him) (in any issue) MUST be bad!...possibly illegal!!!
Pretty typical, I think (not of him, of leftist thinking).

Knock yourselves out .... http://www.cagle.com/news/CheneyShoots/main.asp

But, I am not talking about that .... I just think he should not be able to hunt again.
:lol::rofl:
You did it again!!! You provided some funny little cartoons for us to go to ((to better understand the truth, because everyone knows that's what Cartoons do....inform)) and then say that "But, I am not talking about that..."
You Just DID!!!
You crack me up Mike. I think you're doing it on purpose.
(but I'm not talking about that...)

Top O' the Mornin too ya!!!

Your Brother
John

OP
M

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
John,

Thanks for noticing that in the last post, I did start to raise some of the 'political arguments'. It was intended as Irony. We are being told that this is beating a dead horse, so I thought I would throw those things in now ... as this thread is apparently winding down.

And, as you have challenged my posts as partisan political attacks, how can I say they are not without pointing out what would be a partisan political attack. Please go check how many times I raised these points in the first 50 or 60 posts of this thread.

Oh, and I typed son-of-a-*****, and Bob's profanity filter changed my ***** to something eles.

Just to clear up a couple of points.

Calling Dick Cheney a drunk is an unsupported supposition on my part. Two DWI's from 30 years ago is the only clue I have. Yes, a stretch, but not an impossibility; He has never sworn off alcohol, as has Dear Leader.

According to reports I have seen, Deputy Sherrif Sanmiguel did attempt to enter the Armstrong Ranch on Saturday evening, and was turned away by the Secret Service. So, it is not speculation on my part about the 'behind the scenes' activities of the Veep's vacation.

http://mediamatters.org/items/200602150014
On February 14, The New York Times reported that Sheriff Ramon Salinas III "said the Secret Service called him shortly after the shooting occurred" and that Salinas sent chief deputy Gilbert San Miguel "to the Armstrong Ranch that night. He said Mr. Sanmiguel interviewed Mr. Cheney and reported that the shooting was an accident."

But the Times' February 14 report conflicted with other news reports from that day, which indicated that a law enforcement official had been barred from the Armstrong Ranch the night of the shooting. The Washington Post reported on February 14:
Local law enforcement officials did not interview Cheney until Sunday morning, about 14 hours after the shooting, in an agreement worked out between the Secret Service and Kenedy County Sheriff Ramon Salinas III. Secret Service spokesman Eric Zahren said at least one deputy was turned away shortly after the shooting because security personnel at the ranch were not aware of the agreement between the sheriff and the Secret Service.​
So, if I am 'filling in the gaps', I am doing it based on actual news reports. And not pulling these statements out of my ***.

And, lastly, thanks for the concern ... my back is doing much better. My dog had her leg amputated yesterday.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Martial Tucker said:
:deadhorse

We need one of these with a lawyer...or at least a quail.

I continue to see criticism of both men...one for shooting when the path wasn't clear (and shooting level rather than up), and the other for failing to make his presence known. The WSJ had an article that obliquely but effectively made this point.

Full agreement that Sen. Kennedy is a liability for the Democrats at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions