Very strange TaeKwonDo instructional roundhouse kick

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought he was intentionally doing it wrong but there is apparently such a kick. I don't recall ever being taught that the 6 months I did KKW as a kid.

You can't seem to keep your training straight...
So, here and now. List your training and experience.

OP
A

Alan Smithee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I've trained daily since 2014 to 1st Dan now can we get back to the topic - why is he claiming that's a turning kick, and why is he differentiating between a turning kick and a dollyeo chagi/roundhouse kick. If I look up a modern KKW textbook, it would read "turning kick" for that kick?

Let's just say I doubt that very much.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you looking to recruit me?

Just trying to see if you might possibly be expected to know anything. From what you post, it appears not much. And when people are evasive about their training, well...

OP
A

Alan Smithee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Just trying to see if you might possibly be expected to know anything. From what you post, it appears not much. And when people are evasive about their training, well...

I've been very forthcoming to your investigation. Now, about that terminology of his... Would you please point me to a reference to that particular kick under the listing of turning kick?

OP
A

Alan Smithee

Blue Belt
Reaction score

I hate to do this but If I'm a green belt by your standards, what level is this 6th degree instructor then?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I hate to do this but If I'm a green belt by your standards, what level is this 6th degree instructor then?

His kick doesn't really look at all like yours. But you'll note that, just as in the prior video, his foot is traveling at an angle, not parallel to the floor. Because turning kicks do that.

OP
A

Alan Smithee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
His kick doesn't really look at all like yours. But you'll note that, just as in the prior video, his foot is traveling at an angle, not parallel to the floor. Because turning kicks do that.

Well, I think you're trolling at this point because there are so many things wrong with that kick that I don't know where to start... But let's just give him a break on the flexibility issue and start with ... balance??? Where is it.. ?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
his foot is traveling at an angle, not parallel to the floor. Because turning kicks do that.
This is the only thing I've understood out of all that has been said lol. totally out of my element here.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is the only thing I've understood out of all that has been said lol. totally out of my element here.

The "classic" TKD roundhouse moves parallel to the ground. Variants move at an angle. It allows kicks to the ribs/midsection to slip behind the targets defense, and it's faster.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The "classic" TKD roundhouse moves parallel to the ground. Variants move at an angle. It allows kicks to the ribs/midsection to slip behind the targets defense, and it's faster.
This answer resolves the thread. Anyone who is anyone in TKD knows this kick. Nothing more to discuss!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
@admin I would also point out that the OP has had several accounts on this site and has been banned multiple times. That's why he's blocked out his face in the pic in this thread. The behaviour, attitude and spelling are a giveaway.

Laplace_demon, how you doing?

Axiom, how are you?

OP
A

Alan Smithee

Blue Belt
Reaction score

The classic TKD roundhouse does not have your knee pointing down. He is not above yellow.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
@admin I would also point out that the OP has had several accounts on this site and has been banned multiple times. That's why he's blocked out his face in the pic in this thread. The behaviour, attitude and spelling are a giveaway.

Laplace_demon, how you doing?

Axiom, how are you?

Not to mention the kicking skills ;)

OP
A

Alan Smithee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Here's more top notch Taekwondo quality control.

This would probably annoy my dog, so I'll give him that.