Verifying Dan Ranking

S

Shane Smith

Adept said:
I disagree entirely. Think about it in terms of a boxing coach, or a football coach. he doesn't need to be able to do it himself, or have ever done it well himself (although I concede it certainly helps) so long as he gives quality instruction. The only measure should be the quality of his instruction, not how well he fights or fought.
Don't you suppose that a solid boxing or football coach could and did play the game competently in their time? Indeed, I would bet large money that any successful coach once participated competently in the sport he teaches. Also, martial arts aren't sport as I see them so we're not making a direct comparison perhaps. I don't see how competent instruction is possible without a working knowledge of the subject matter to be taught.I have never stated that the instructor in question need be a worldbeater, he simply needs to be able to perform competently. I stand by my statement. We must agree to disagree on this it seems.

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Shane Smith said:
Don't you suppose that a solid boxing or football coach could and did play the game competently in their time? Indeed, I would bet large money that any successful coach once participated competently in the sport he teaches. Also, martial arts aren't sport as I see them so we're not making a direct comparison perhaps. I don't see how competent instruction is possible without a working knowledge of the subject matter to be taught.I have never stated that the instructor in question need be a worldbeater, he simply needs to be able to perform competently. I stand by my statement. We must agree to disagree on this it seems.

2 words:

Angelo Dundee

Great trainer, never competed.

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Lineage such as family tree and contacts, and if his teacher was or is not very well known then who his teacher was until you can get someone to verify it. Think of it this way, MA's is a long term investment and its worth doing the background check especially if you are going to pay for classes for several years.

K

kwon 17

I am not really sure about other organizations but I know in the ITF you can't be higher than the founder whom was a 9 dan.If I were you I wouldn't go to his school about asking his organization and how long he has been in martial arts in total.If he says 25 years that isnt enough time.Also ask how old he is.If his answers seems fishy I suggest you look somewhere else

OP
Yeti

Yeti

Black Belt
Reaction score
CanuckMA said:
2 words:

Angelo Dundee

Great trainer, never competed.
Good point. Also, Bill Belichick didn't play football after college (played for Wesleyan U while in college...far from a pronounced football program), yet he's arguably one of the greatest coaches in the modern football era.

Shane, I think we can argue this until we're all blue in the face. I agree with you that a teacher should be competent with a sound working knowledge of what he teaches - as I think almost everyone else who has posted does as well. This just isn't what your original post said. Through the course of this tread though, I think everyone's position has become clearer and it seems we're all at least on the same page...different paragraphs maybe...but the same page none the less.