Using Your Art

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Try this? go to a place in the dark of night, by yourself alone? The fear factors, adrenline effects, create's a different you. If approach by a stranger/s ....think you will be calm?

Most people will forget most of the things they being training for.

Most martial art schools do not train in this FEAR SITUTIONS. One day you will understand this?

Aloha......smile, and if attack? fight like you are crazy...you life may depend on it! Don't forget to Kiai!

There's a point in there. Most schools don't teach dealing with and using adrenaline, pain and fear. But you really underestimate most people. Get them scared, really scared, or just pissed off enough and the "fight" part of "fight-flight-freeze" is there.

You also seem to have an incredibly pessimistic attitude towards self defense in general. Don't use a gun. He'll just take it away and use it against you. Don't train for the purpose of self defense. It just won't work. Any more encouraging pearls of wisdom to share with us, or should we just give up and die?

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
The whole idea of training is not to think about the what if's, should I and the how far do I go thoughts. Your training has already taught you all these things. All of your training has programed your mind, much like a computer, with all of information that you will need. Turn off the thought process and let your training take over. You will know when to start, how far to go and when to end. No thought and no emotion will get you through everything you encounter just fine. It has worked for me in the street for the past 34 years.
:enguard:
Besides,
It is better to be judged by six than to be carried by six.
:pirateph3

Well said.

It seems counterproductive to me to train for something and then not use your training at the appropriate time. I could already fight and defend myself before I took my first class, a side effect of having to do it so often as a kid. I started martial arts in order to become more efficient at it, then a curious thing happened, the better I got, the less I needed to use it, but my willingness to do what had to be done never changed. I would rather put my fate in the hands of a jury of my peers then in the hands of some lowlife with no regard for life.

My training gives me more options than I used to have. I used to have to go directly to attempting maximum damage to an attacker immediately, now I have the options of being less brutal if the situation doesn't call for maximimum response. I would feel bad if I had to use my training at this point, but I'd get over it. I can't be sure I'd get over the results of not using what I know in a situation that called for it.

Looks like I'm not the ONLY one who ended up with a copy of this "life script." :)

How is it we share the same life story? :lol2: I'm with you completely.

This is how I see it, too. :) The Ma gives us the option of graduated levels of response, and training to choose the right level.

Er... makes at least THREE of us now :)

The whole key to this is making sure your response is proportionate to the attack. If someone takes a swing at you and you break his arms, punch him in the throat, whatever, you put yourself at risk. If someone takes a swing at you and defend yourself and make sure he can't take another swing at you without a "devastating response", then you should be okay. I definitely wouldn't hold back because I was afraid of the legal consquences, nor would I so totally lose control of myself that I went overboard in my response.

Also well said.

Fantastic Post Tellner I agree on all points..

Me too. Very nice post, Tellner.

Heck, not much left to add now, except for emphasizing the "don't leave the scene" (unless you MUST for safety) aspect.

A couple of years ago I was attacked by a group of 20-something punks on a fast food parking lot. After successfully defending myself (after! She didn't intervene while I was under attack!!) The manager came out and said,

"Leave right now or I'll call the cops!!"

My response was: "Call them — RIGHT NOW! I've been assaulted and I WANT the cops here!"

Successfully defending doesn't mean it wasn't an assault. And leaving the scene may lead LEO to believe you are the guilty party.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Looks like I'm not the ONLY one who ended up with a copy of this "life script." :)

Er... makes at least THREE of us now :)

Maybe we should start a little Band of Street-Fighting Nerds Turned MA? Kind of like Tellner, Exile, Xue Sheng, and Flying Crane's Curmudgeon club of HEROIC... something, something.... :D

Either that, or do extensive geneology studies to identify any nexus in our origins. I mean, something has to account for our being Martial Triplets, doesn't it?

Seriously, zDom, this part was extremely important and I've been meaning to get back to it to say so for a couple of days.
Heck, not much left to add now, except for emphasizing the "don't leave the scene" (unless you MUST for safety) aspect.

A couple of years ago I was attacked by a group of 20-something punks on a fast food parking lot. After successfully defending myself (after! She didn't intervene while I was under attack!!) The manager came out and said,

My response was: "Call them — RIGHT NOW! I've been assaulted and I WANT the cops here!"

Successfully defending doesn't mean it wasn't an assault. And leaving the scene may lead LEO to believe you are the guilty party.
GREAT point! Street Fighting Nerds Turned MA rock! :)

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
As Dave Barry would say, "Street Fighting Nerds" would make a GREAT name for a rock band! :D

Hmmmm... or maybe Gung Fu movie... I really need to get that script-writing software...

whitetiger2001

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Like all true MAs, I hope I never need to use what I know but two expressions come to mind if that I have to.

You are judge, jury and executioner, you decide how much to make your attacker a prisoner of their own body.

The attacker is giving you the greatest gift, the key to his destruction, it's up to you to be able to see it and use it.

So far aside from a situation where it was enough to control someone, I have never had to use what I know in self defense and for that I'm grateful.

:yinyang:

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score

Beautiful! That was exactly the absolute best way to handle it. Textbook perfect. Did she call the police? How did they respond to the situation?

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Beautiful! That was exactly the absolute best way to handle it. Textbook perfect. Did she call the police? How did they respond to the situation?

She did. They showed up about two minutes later.

Considering they had conflicting versions of the altercation after interviewing everybody at the scene, they took the appropriate action: they arrested me and two of my attackers, took us down to HQ.

Upon arrival, demeanor and behavior soon gave them a clear indication of who was more truthful, despite them having more "witnesses." (I could hear one calling the officers foul names and inviting them to perform ******** on him...)

I was soon released and the third-degree assault charge I was arrested for was dropped before the court date.

My attackers, I believe, ended up spending the night in jail, if not longer.

Darth F.Takeda

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Waiting on the scene is a double edged sword and I feel depends on what just went down and with whom was involved and who else is there.

These days, you might take down some low life "Gangsa" waanabe or real deal, and if you hang around he or one of his might pull a gun and shot you or you might end up being mobbed.

I would rather flee and go right to the Police (call them if I can)

In Va. the first to report it to the authorities is sided with by the system, so basically, unless i knew that no one saw what went down, I'm going right to the Cop shop.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
A military policeman once told me "Go ahead and fight, however make comments such as 'Quit attacking me.....I don't want to fight' if you do that you will not look like the aggressor, you will be the defender."

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
A military policeman once told me "Go ahead and fight, however make comments such as 'Quit attacking me.....I don't want to fight' if you do that you will not look like the aggressor, you will be the defender."

Yes, my instructor (ex-police) says the same thing. Make sure you say very loudly things like "I don't want to fight you", "I'm afraid of you
", things like that. You want the witnesses on your side.

Darth F.Takeda

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The closest thing we have to a ready stance, is putting your hands up and saying "I don't want any trouble." It's alot like a less cool versio of a Muay Thai ready position, you just loook like your putting your hands out and gestureing that you don't want anything, but you present the bottm edge of your forearms somewhat.

A Prison guard I know says that when he has to fill in an ignorent convict, he takes them in their cell and proceeds to wail on them, screaming " Stop resisting, Stop fighting." no one can see whats going on and all that's recorded is him yelling that.

Before anyone sheds a tear about Prisoner abuse, some of these guys are murdering, raping scum who are'nt affraid of much,and those guarding them are unarmed and outnumberd, so you have to take the more insolent ones and break them down a bit.

Also why I said no thanks when he said he could get me a good paying job with him though, the heck with having to function in an enviroment like that, it can do dark things to your soul.

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

"Reasonable" will not be decided by a twelve MT readers with the mods as presiding judges. It will be decided by a dozen people who don't have jobs, don't get out much and couldn't think up a reason to get out of jury duty. The person in charge is a judge who spends his or her working life as G-d Almighty in the tiny universe that is the courtroom, surrounded by servants and protected from the possibility of harm. One lawyer - who probably hasnt' defended a legitimate self defense claim in years - is being paid to act as if you are pure as the driven snow. The other one is honor bound to believe you are the love-child of Satan, Hitler and the Boston Strangler.

amazing.. crazy but true.

so i guess the best would be to look like a granny but pack the punch of bubba. to have authority and still be completely free.

j

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
In a very real sense, yes. You want the first responders, the investigating officers, the grand jury, the judge and the jury to believe that you didn't start anything and felt that you had no choice. You want them to decide that the other guys attacked you. Since they weren't there and the ones making the final decisions don't have your training or experience - they'd be disqualified from serving on the jury if they did - you and your lawyer need to convince them.

Trumpeting about how you are a trained killer with several black belts probably isn't going to help much. If you have a very good attorney he may be able to make the case that because of your training you understood just how much danger you were in and that in your informed opinion you needed to do what you did. If he's really on the ball he might be able to argue that you used your training to end the situation with as little damage to the other guys as possible.

That said, you need to be able to open whatever size can of whoop-*** the situation calls for so that you will be in a small enough number of pieces to show up for the trial.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've recounted my one-time-only excursion into utilising my training in other threads and, as I'm not proud of it, I shant drag it out for show once more in terms of description.

What I wanted to add to the discourse is a response to a previous post regarding how all those years of practise can desert you when you need them. Obviously I can only speak of how it happened for me but my anecdote is that what all those years do, is work your 'art' into spinal reflex; so, if you ever have to defend yourself, it doesn't matter if your conscious mind is a gibbering wreck because your body knows what to do.

In my own circumstance, I was afraid for all of the lead-up to the incident and in the aftermath I was shocked by what I had done, remorseful too (believe it or not) and somewhat fearful of the consequences (as it turned out unnecessarily).

However, in the brief few seconds when I was actually fighting (during which time I don't recall I actually thought at all about what I was doing) all was calm and slow.

By the time I'd run to the police station to report it, I was shaking like a leaf with adrenal reaction but it didn't matter by then.

I suppose it was a different world, legally speaking, when this happened, as the police were actually first concerned to make sure I was okay rather than thinking about charging me with something. I even got a quiet "Well done, mate" from one of the coppers for coming out the other side physically unscathed (emotionally was a different matter, I feel guilty to this day).

One thing I will say tho' is that once I 'let go', the spinal reflex that saved me also had a dark side in that the techniques I used were not 'restrain and deflect' but 'disable and escape'. That meant that two out of the three that attacked me ended up with broken bits. I suspect in todays 'lawyer mad' environment I might have had more trouble than I did then (which was none by the way).

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
One thing I will say tho' is that once I 'let go', the spinal reflex that saved me also had a dark side in that the techniques I used were not 'restrain and deflect' but 'disable and escape'. That meant that two out of the three that attacked me ended up with broken bits. I suspect in todays 'lawyer mad' environment I might have had more trouble than I did then (which was none by the way).

I've heard that it happens like that sometimes... I would really defend myself, and like others have said, make it appear that you're trying to get the attacker(s) to stop.

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello, The aveage martial artist has never been in fight. We train in a dojo that is safe, comfortable atmosphere.

Try this? go to a place in the dark of night, by yourself alone? The fear factors, adrenline effects, create's a different you. If approach by a stranger/s ....think you will be calm?

Most people will forget most of the things they being training for.

A real fight is ANYTHING GOES, none stop (bad guys know this well), if you can still get up...than you will be able to attack back...so from their experience...they will keep hitting you! Weapons may be use against you too!

Most martial art schools do not train in this FEAR SITUTIONS. One day you will understand this?

Aloha......smile, and if attack? fight like you are crazy...you life may depend on it! Don't forget to Kiai!

I respectfully disagree with your assumptions. The average martial artist I know have almost all been in a real fight or two outside of the dojo. Many of us have worked in fields that require conflict resolution skills including the physical. I don't think I know a single MA-ist that isn't aware of the difference between training and reality.

Heck - I had a self defense student who managed to get his assailant to break his own hand against a wall after just a one semester course with me! He never trained for "fear" or "death matches" he just did what he had been trained to do - evade and circle. the assailant hit a brick wall instead of my student. Fight over.

I have had to use my art more than once outside of whatever job I've had. Twice in my life I've been jumped by multiple assailants for no discernible reason. Once was the wrong place at the wrong time and once was mistaken identity with no warning whatsoever. I walked away from both attacks - once with virtually no injuries and once seriously messed up - but both times I put one or more in the hospital and neither time was I arrested or sued. They were clear cases of self defense and I was sent home after dealing with the authorities.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sukerkin, that's why you train. When bad things happen you let the battle computer or the Thing in the Cave handle things. Or, as my teacher's teacher is wont to say "Relax and enjoy." Afterwards you can have all the emotional reactions that your physiology and self-concept require. When the fewmets are hitting the air circulation system the Lizard takes all calls. In some ways this allows "you" to be protected from some of the effects of the action. Not all, but sometimes it's enough to mean the difference between guilt or sleepless nights and alcoholism or suicidal depression.