Using GPS To Track Kids

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26361151/

SAN ANTONIO, Texas - Court authorities here will be able to track students with a history of skipping school under a new program requiring them to wear ankle bracelets with Global Positioning System monitoring.
But at least one group is worried the ankle bracelets will infringe on students' privacy.
Linda Penn, a Bexar County justice of the peace, said she anticipates that about 50 students from four San Antonio-area school districts — likely to be mostly high schoolers — will wear the anklets during the six-month pilot program announced Friday. She said the time the students wear the anklets will be decided on a case-by-case basis.

Thoughts on whether or not this'll work?

jkembry

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hmmmm....'infringe on students' privacy.'

The way I was brought up, there was no privacy for me until I was 18 and out of the house.

Again...where are the parent's in all of this? They are 'suppose' to be responsible for their kids...unless I am missing something here.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hmmmm....'infringe on students' privacy.'

The way I was brought up, there was no privacy for me until I was 18 and out of the house.

Again...where are the parent's in all of this? They are 'suppose' to be responsible for their kids...unless I am missing something here.
No, you haven't missed anything. Parents are ultimately responsible for their kids and should ensure that the little ones get their butts to school or where-ever it is that they need to be. If they're at home sick will their ankle bracelets tell whomever is watching/monitoring them that is the case? Presumably parents will get a phone call to inquire upon this.
But sometimes parents will want to skip a day themselves and take the family somewhere.
It's a sticky and I don't think probationary/parole methods should be used because last I recall, school wasn't prison (ok, some days it felt that way) and students aren't criminals and skipping school isn't a crime... well okay it is a crime but it's hurting only the kid that skips it.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am reasonably confident that this can help. However I am not quite sure if it is the correct method to employ.
icon9.gif

jkembry

Black Belt
Reaction score
But sometimes parents will want to skip a day themselves and take the family somewhere.

This I will agree...but those times my parents told the school about it ahead of time. And, it did not happen often enough...in my opinion.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I could possibly approve of this method for kids who are chronic skippers - those for whom it has become a legal matter of record - or have other juvenile delinquency and/or safety issues.

Right now, in our district, elementary schools will call home about 1 hour after school begins (enough to evaluate the roll call) and check on the attendance status for the child. Not foolproof, certainly. I've received two calls in ten years for absent children who were, actually, AT SCHOOL. Thankfully, the school was immediate in their response to finding said children who were quickly located. The middle (6 - 8) and high schools have automated calling systems call the home if a child was absent during one or more periods giving the parent the opportunity to confront the minor and abate the issue privately.

Besides ... nowadays I can track my daughter via GPS on her phone. So if she *says* she's at Starbucks with her friends and her phone tells me she's at her boyfriend's house ... I know I need to take a drive.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with Shesulsa, my 14 phone tells me where he is and he better be where I say he can be. Funny thing is those the GPS issue could bring some positive changes for alot of students with peeer pressure issues.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with Shesulsa, my 14 phone tells me where he is and he better be where I say he can be. Funny thing is those the GPS issue could bring some positive changes for alot of students with peeer pressure issues.
That's an excellent point, Terry!

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
Works for dogs and cats so why not?

Heck, why not implant them in thier skulls at birth along with tatooed bar codes?

You could even have them illicit an electric shock when they leave outside a certain radius (kind of like how the invisible fence works.)

:BSmeter:

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's a step toward the chip. Pretty soon we'll all get one and BB will know where we are all of the time. Double plus good.

How about we find a way to make school a place that kids want to go?

jkembry

Black Belt
Reaction score
Works for dogs and cats so why not?

Heck, why not implant them in thier skulls at birth along with tatooed bar codes?

You could even have them illicit an electric shock when they leave outside a certain radius (kind of like how the invisible fence works.)

:BSmeter:

:lfao: Sounds like a plan. Start implementation proceedings.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I fully endorse "Lojacking" your kid at birth.

Think about it

No more kidnappings

no more runaways

no more sneaking out.

you know where they are

privacy? THEY ARE KIDS, they have no rights other than what their parents say they have earned.

For that matter, Lojack them and take blood samples at birth for a DNA database.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
I fully endorse "Lojacking" your kid at birth.

Think about it

No more kidnappings

no more runaways

no more sneaking out.

you know where they are

privacy? THEY ARE KIDS, they have no rights other than what their parents say they have earned.

For that matter, Lojack them and take blood samples at birth for a DNA database.

It wouldn't stop these occurances, only possibly make it easier to find them after they occured or worse. Think about it. GPS wouldn't prevent a kidnapping. You'd just find a bloody GPS device next to the ransom note.

And then you create new problems like....teenagers getting brain damaged trying to dig the things out of their skulls! Don't think they wouldn't try it either. Coathanger...need I say more? Then that leads to increased health care costs because they can no longer feed themselves....the downward spiral.

Oh and it sets a precedent for BB to say, "Hey! Look how good they work! Let's pass a law that says you can NEVER remove them. That way we know where everybody is all the time! Think of how society will benefit! No more crime! HOORAY!"

:bs1:

If you swallow that logic I've got some quality land in the Everglades to sell ya.

I appreciate where the idea is coming from and how, on the surface, its seems like it may be a good thing to do. But look at the big picture and where it will lead.

We've already "feared" ourselves out of many rights already, not counting the ones Uncle Sam took from us regardless. I'm not about to endorse anything that would enable them to take more. We're way too close to fascism as is. I gaurantee you Thomas Jefferson has cut so many cartwheels in his grave by now to have dug a hole to China!

:soapbox:

Here's a novel idea: How about take the time to educate your kids on the dangers of the world, teach them how to be responsible and take care of themselves so they grow up to be responsible - contributing adults in society? Quit relying on quick fixes, the government, the school system, or somebody else to solve your problems and take responsibilty to properly raise and educate your kid.

I apologize if my post seems a bit harsh, but sometimes a slap in the face is what it takes to bring someone out of hysteria.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
CC,
Normally I would agree with ya. But.

Privacy isnt a right in the first place

if you are worried that someone from the gub'mint might know where you are, you got bigger problems, like what the hell are you doing there that you dont want anyone to know about?

the spy sats can follow me anytime.They can tap my phone anytime they want to

i will laugh at how bored I know they will be.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
CC,
Normally I would agree with ya. But.

Privacy isnt a right in the first place

if you are worried that someone from the gub'mint might know where you are, you got bigger problems, like what the hell are you doing there that you dont want anyone to know about?

the spy sats can follow me anytime.They can tap my phone anytime they want to

i will laugh at how bored I know they will be.

Privacy isn't necessarily a right for minor children I agree, but it is for adult US citizens.

I'm not worried, it's the point that matters. It's giving up a freedom and a lot of us feel we've given up enough already.

The Fed's can spy on me if they want, but if I catch them and they don't have good cause I can do something about it legally at this point. Even though it would be a huge pain to do so which it shouldn't, and I'm not trying to make it any easier for them or give them any more excuses to wipe their collective butts with my rights.

hold classes in the mall?

interesting idea..........

LOL.

Children need discipline and that includes setting boundries for them. That's the job of the partents, not the gov't. If you don't want the responsibility then don't have kids.

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
Besides ... nowadays I can track my daughter via GPS on her phone. So if she *says* she's at Starbucks with her friends and her phone tells me she's at her boyfriend's house ... I know I need to take a drive.

I'm a tad late on this thread so forgive me if someone already said what I'm about to. I don't think it's cool for the school to do it. Yes, some parents are idiots, but when you leave the "control" of kids up to the state because the parents are "unfit," you are heading down a slippery slope. On the other hand, as Shesulsa pointed out, I have no problem tracking my kid using a cell phone GPS. Besides just making sure that they are where they are supposed to be, when they are supposed to be there, in the event of a kidnaping, it could mean the difference between life and death.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As many of you know, I'm a teacher. It's all well and good to use ankle monitors to force students to attend school; it's equally well and good to talk about making school a place kids want to be. This is a cultural issue in many cases - it is cool to consider school to be uncool (whether the kids like it or not - and many do, if only for the social aspects), and too many parents do not consider school a priority and let their kids know how they feel. Putting ankle monitors on chronic non-attenders is a knee-jerk reaction that will not have the desired effect; it may make the kids show up... but if it does, chances are they will make life hell for everyone around them.

As far as making school attractive to students... well, school is your job when you're in school - and how many of you like your job 100% of the time, or would suggest it be changed to make you like it more so you'll come more willingly? It is the parents' job to make their kids come to school; it is the parents' job to make their kids want to come to school, and to want to do well once they get there. Many of the activities that made kids want to come to school have been lost in the quest for higher test scores and the reduced funding that have affected many districts - not because the districts want to cut those things, but because they must.

If you want to improve student performance - DO SOMETHING FOR YOUR LOCAL SCHOOLS. Volunteer as a mentor, as a classroom aide, as a coach, as a speaker, etc. Vote "yes" when funding initiatives come up. Get involved with your local school board. Spend a day - or a week - in a local school and see what's happening. But please quit sitting at a keyboard telling everyone "the answer" until you've been part of the solution. There are enough politicians doing that already! :)

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I often wonder how much we lose as a society because of compulsory school attendance laws. I wonder how bad it would really be if we just told kids who didn't want to be in school that they could leave at any time. You know the old adage, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. Is a kid who needs a GPS ankle bracelet in order to get his butt to school really going to learn all that much? Or is he just going to be a distraction to other kids and a royal pain in the *** to the teachers?

I think the crux of this argument is compulsory schooling. How far, as a society, are we willing to go in order to force every kid into a school whether they (or the parents) want them to be there or not?

Latest Discussions