Using good flexibility

francium

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi all!

I have a question about what to do with good flexibility. I know most people have difficulties being able to kick at head-height, for instance, but since I used to be a dancer, that's not particularly my issue. I've got solid splits in all three directions and good rotation in my hip flexors, and it seems like this should be an advantage. Aside from the usual reasons for maintaining good flexibility- kick-height, deep stances, and injury-prevention- anyone have any thoughts as to the particular benefit of good flexibility? It's seems like a good thing to have to have either way, but at the same time, it also seems like there could be some real benefits!

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
*shrugs*

Im not very flexible. I used to be, but I found it made it harder to kick hard to the body or legs, so I stopped worrying about flexibility. That was two years ago, seems to be going fine. I stretch after training, though. Just not flexibility stretching.

I hear great things about it from others though!

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Flexibility is awesome, but it's not as important to kicking as people sometimes think.
Static flexibility and active flexibility are not the same, for one thing.
You're only able to kick with power to whatever height you can lift and hold your kick. Not throw it. If you can throw it to the sky, but can hold it at chest height, then your power will fall off rapidly above chest height. So sure, work that flexibility. But it's at least as important to work the core strength.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Flexibility, while nice, is not the most useful thing. I'd assume that you have good balance if you used to be a dancer? That will also be helpful to you, as well as probably just knowing how your body moves/how its all connected (I'm assuming dancing helps with that too, if not, sorry for my ignorance).

Latest Discussions