User names?

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dronak
I wonder if this thread was done in the past because I thought I already posted about my nickname in here. Maybe I'm thinking of some other web board though. Dronak is a name I made up back in high school for a Dungeons and Dragons character. It wasn't exactly my favorite game name, but when I was trying to pick an alias to use on the net, logins and such, it turned out that Dronak was unique enough that I've almost always been able to get it when I wanted it. So that's it -- I made it up and it's become my standard internet nickname.

Dronak,

Imagine a young kid playing D&D in the 70's, Character name Sindar. Iwas not sure where I got the name. Later I read that Sindar is the name of the Eldar Elves in Tolkien that went over the Seas.

So when I got online I tried Sindar and was able to get it for Ameritech, but nowhere else. So I changed to SindarX.

Uniqueness is important. On here I choose to go by Rich Parsons assuming I would be the only one, and then everyone would know who I am :D

OP
Aikikitty

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm bringing this thread up again (because I can) and also 'cause I'm hoping some of the newer members will post and explain their user names. :D

Robyn :wavey:

OP
Aikikitty

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Touch'O'Death
Bart Simpson spent his karate money on the video game "Touch of Death". My sign off is from Fraggle Rock.

I never watched the Simpsons so I didn't recognize that part but I used to watch Fraggle Rock every day and I recognized the other thing. :)

Robyn :asian:

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Fairly simple explanation for mine. Letch is the first half of my last name and is the nickname I was given while I was in the Marines. Eventually, the nickname became so indentified with me as an individual that I became THE Letch and I've gone by that since then.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TECHNOPUNK is a derivative of CYBERPUNK

The term, in and of itself, is a fusion of two other and very different words, 'cyber' and 'punk', and this fusion is the key to understanding cyberpunk.

'Cyber'
comes from 'cybernetics', which is a science studying control and communication in the animal and the machine, as defined by Norbert Wiener, coiner of the term. The term originates in the Greek language word 'kubernetes' which means 'pilot' or 'steersman'. Originally, cybernetic system, or any system, was a feedback loop that gives a controller information on the results of its actions. As computers were adapted for use in many control systems throughout the 1960's and 70's, the term which helped create the computer became associated with it. Wiener would have become dyspeptic at some of the uses of his word in the last forty years, but surely not with 'cyberpunk' and 'cyberspace'. It isn't cyber-anything without interaction, information, and communication. Nowadays, and in 'cyberpunk', the prefix 'cyber' means a synonym for that kind of cybernetic machine, something machinic, or something which exists or is produced via a cybernetic machine. Cybernetics also refers to machines that imitate human behaviour.

'Punk'
was a an anarchistic, dense, and fast youth movement which terrorized the world in the 1970's and early 1980's. The mess was caused by the loud hard-core rock music that groups such as the Sex Pistols made popular. The word means originally 'rotten' or 'junk'. A 'punk' is a troublemaker, an 'antisocial rebel or hoodlum'. In terms of literature and social movements, 'punk' refers to a 'counterculture' and a sort of 'street-level anarchy', and tends to focus more on attitude and outlook than on music and criminal activity. In 'cyberpunk', 'punk' means the anarchistic and anti-authoritarian part of it.

So, words 'cyber' and 'punk' emphasize the two basic aspects of cyberpunk: technology and individualism.

I simply choose to use the term TECHNO (short of Technology) instead of CYBER because cyberpunk is passe now. But i do consider myself, as the description above implys, a Technologicaly Antisocial Rebel Hoodlum

S

Shadow Hunter

One of my teachers a few decades ago had trouble pronouncing my name. So he gave me on in his language after he found out what I did. In English it means "Shadow Hunter" and I decided to use it here.

Ender

Black Belt
Reaction score
I got the Name Ender from the book "Ender's Game"

P

progressivetactics

Mines pretty simple.
When i wanted to change the name of my club, I wanted something to show we were a progressive system, and I wanted to be more marketable to LEO, and government agencies. It was at the same time I helped start an anti terrorism org out of New York. I wanted Tactics in the title. Progressive Tactics.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Since I was born in the Year of the Dragon, made since to be the top of the heap! the "GoldenDragon" King of all the Dragons... the Imperial Dragon or the Emperor's Dragon.... Thee Dragon to recon with~

Attachments

• $gdtoplogo.gif
    $gdtoplogo.gif
    2.8 KB · Views: 132
T

tkdcanada

How lucky you are to have summer year round! :)

I assume the tkd is for taekwondo, and what's the last part?

K

KatGurl

Originally posted by tkdcanada

Is the last part your name?

K

KatGurl

Originally posted by jfarnsworth
Probably the country he is from.

not his username, cali_tkdbruin. I quoted him because he asked the same thing (well, he asked what the last part stood for)

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by KatGurl
not his username, cali_tkdbruin. I quoted him because he asked the same thing (well, he asked what the last part stood for)

(scratching head) OK, now I see where you're going with that.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by tkdcanada

Yeah, we do get spoiled rotten down here having year around pleasant weather. :ultracool

As far as my user name goes, the TKD is for Taekwondo. And the last part, Bruin, isn't my last name. Nope, it's in honor of my old college (UCLA) and its ferocious mascot. GO Bruins, Beat 'SC!!! :D

FYI, for those who don't know "SC" is our hated arch rival USC.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I guess I can add my explanation to the thread. OU is my alma mater and lobo is spanish for wolf. Some of my friends call me wolfman because of my tats.

Latest Discussions