use of wooden dummies, bob, etc

J

jkdhit

i was inspired by a thread in the beginners forum to ask this question.. do any of you use wooden dummies, bob, wavemaster, etc? if it's something to fill, what do you fill it with?

i used to use a wavemaster i received as a christmas gift a few years ago. i filled it up with water but that didn't work so well because when i use a lot of power, it slides away. i ended up filling it up with sand which gives it a good solid feel.

recently i started using canvas bags filled with iron sand. after a while, i decided to use duct tape and tape them to the wavemaster. this actually made a big difference, i don't know why i didn't do it earlier. now i can condition my fists, palms, back hand, feet, toes, fingers, etc with much more ease

Franc0

Purple Belt
Reaction score
jkdhit said:
do any of you use wooden dummies, bob, wavemaster, etc?

Yep, we use all three. I like the Mook Jong (wooden dummy) to enhance trapping and for conditioning the arms mostly. The BOB gives a little better feel for hitting the human structure, and I use it mostly for working palm heels, finger jabs, hand strike combos and some elbows. The Wavemaster is used more for kickboxing type drills. We use a hanging banana bag also for kickboxing type drills and for working on low line/leg kicks. I also first used water in my Wavemaster, but ended up filling it with sand. A friend of mine filled his Wavemaster with concrete, took off the padded sleeve, wrapped it in dense thin foam, then wrapped that in duct tape. That thing hurts like a beeotch to kick, but it's great for hard core conditioning of the legs.

Franco

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
i try not to spend alot of $$ on something that can easily be built yourself. 90% of my training equipment i built.

OP
J

jkdhit

i remember a karate school i checked out a long time ago had the ultraman dummy but i didnt like it that much :p

has anyone seen the movie.. the master, with jet li? there was a contraption he had in the movie he used to teach martial arts to 3 mexicans.. i thought that was cool :p

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mr. Hartman has a set, and they're great--but very expensive. If memory serves, they're around $1000 per side, so the 4-sided one is about $4000 (round numbers). But, I may be misremembering. It used to be on their site--it must be too high to list! If you have to ask... :)

Latest Discussions