USAT bah humbug

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
As far as the coaches being part of the selection process their the ones who will be coaching the competitors and they were selected for a reason, they have been there and done that. If anyone knows what it takes to be an Olympic caliber athlete it should be these two guys.

This is what people are afraid of, coaches picking only those they know, which are most likely people under their care or the care of friends. There have been a lot of been there done that guys so how is it they get picked? Is their an election amongst USAT members?

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
I got to side with Master Southwick on this, I really don’t think it’s going to have a major effect on who makes it to the Olympic team and it may even improve the team we send. As far as the coaches being part of the selection process their the ones who will be coaching the competitors and they were selected for a reason, they have been there and done that. If anyone knows what it takes to be an Olympic caliber athlete it should be these two guys.
What!? Yes they have been there done that but that does not mean they are the end all of coaching. There are many Masters that coach and that have ties back to Korea that train and coach with Korean national teams that have just as much if not more knowledge and know how as Jean or Juan. Look at last years Olympics, did we place the best team we could or did we place a team based on marketing and hype? This is what you get with the process about to be implemented, more of the same not necessarily the best fighters.

Last edited:
OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Look Nia won that fight last year before the Olympics did she go no, USAT and those that run it wanted all the lopezs theree, so it was. As far as Jean when was he ever on the Olympic team? I cannot recall so the impression about having been there no good here. Also what about some of us old temers we do not count why because we was before pre Olympic? I remember when we took the best not the best liked. What is wrong with the soccor moms is wrong here as well. I believe training is done everyday for most high caliber athletes, see did not say elite because lets face it you can be 6-7 with USAT and be in the elite division becausse you won at state, or should I say had no-one to fight and got gold. so you believe a 6-7 elite is better than a 14-15 year old top athlete I know you do not being an *** now, but the point is valued. See I was once a top athlete some thirty five years ago, I have differently put the time in and have alot of top caliber fighter are they elite who is to say but the fighters themself ina fight off double elimanation, let the best that day win for that moment.

I am sorry but the USAT is becoming who can offord the money get the shots, better pucker up those lips boys it is going to be a long night of *** kissing being done down the road.:rofl:

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
korean kickboxing blows, and this is an example of why it blows.

BTW- could the teachers that teach korean kickboxing please STOP calling yourselves TKD?

you are embarrassing those of us that actually teach a MARTIAL ART

TKD_Stops_Tilt

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I actually understand your points and I am not avoiding anything, my point again is anyone can say that the coaches will pick their own fighters just as easily as one could say they won&#8217;t; ALL speculation. If it were such an unethical thing then why does this seem to be where US team selections are moving? I do not know the answer and am not really sure if I like the idea but after doing some research and talking to high level sport administrators in Olympic sports, this trend is what they believe will increase wins at the World level. This is not my area of expertise so I can just look and listen and try to support the plan. Why? Because I want to be a top athlete and know this is this only way to that dream. As an athlete I don&#8217;t have time to cry about what might happen to me; my job is to convince the coaches, judges and even the CEO that I am the best possible candidate to represent my country.

In response to one of your earlier posts, there already are examples of skilled athletes either being shut out or being forced to work around the system. Nia Abdallah filed a protest after her first fight-off with Diana Lopez for the Olympic Team in 2007, and I am sure most folks find the scoring in the second fight-off to be questionable at best based on the video that was posted on the Internet.

Recently, Jason Neville moved up two weight classes to win a spot at team trials this year. Jason qualified in Colorado Springs as a welterweight (actually won the division) but fought in Austin four months later as a heavyweight. While athletes can fluctuate up or down one weight class, it is unlikely for an athlete to move two weight classes (especially upwards) in a period of less than 4 months. I would argue that indicates the athlete realizes the deck is stacked in the two lower weight classes and was forced to move up to have a real shot of making the team. Why else would a skilled and confident fighter do this, especially after winning their normal weight division at the open Qualifier? I also feel strongly that this is true in this specific case because I and others saw Jason Neville almost beat Steven Lopez at team trials in 2007. Given that he was that close before, would he just give up at the opportunity a second time? Not likely.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
korean kickboxing blows, and this is an example of why it blows.

BTW- could the teachers that teach korean kickboxing please STOP calling yourselves TKD?

you are embarrassing those of us that actually teach a MARTIAL ART

Ummm...are you talking about this?

If so, why does this blow?

Last edited by a moderator:

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ummm...are you talking about this?

If so, why does this blow?
No, that is not what TF is talkng about. He is talking about WTF sport taekwondo and olympic taekwondo, and (TF, correct me if I am wrong) he does not consider that style of sparring to be taekwondo, thus a generalized term of kickboxing.

Really, WTF style is not even kickboxing, as there is not any actual boxing involved.

To a great extent, modern WTF sparring is kind of a neither-nor; it is not kickboxing and it really does not resemble traditional taekwondo in any substantive way.

T/F would probably like what was in the vid you posted; no hogu and actual hand usage.

Daniel

Last edited by a moderator:

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
No, that is not what TF is talkng about. He is talking about WTF sport taekwondo and olympic taekwondo, and (TF, correct me if I am wrong) he does not consider that style of sparring to be taekwondo, thus a generalized term of kickboxing.

Really, WTF style is not even kickboxing, as there is not any actual boxing involved.

To a great extent, modern WTF sparring is kind of a neither-nor; it is not kickboxing and it really does not resemble traditional taekwondo in any substantive way.

T/F would probably like what was in the vid you posted; no hogu and actual hand usage.

Daniel

Thanks for clearing that up. Because if that video too was wimpy fighting to him all I can picture at his dojo is a ring of fire and students inside of it dipping their wrapped hands into glass and getting ready for the next sparring session. ha.ha.ha.