USAT and the reginations

MSUTKD

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It was the AAU Taekwondo Union, a part of the AAU. In 1985/86 they changed the name to the United States Taekwondo Union, USTU, and then recently the name was changed again to USA Taekwondo, same organization, different DBA. This is because the all other Olympic sports use this naming convention, USA Volleyball, Boxing…etc. As an NGB it can not be taken over by another organization. It can be decertified; in that case it would be about 3 years before another organization (AAU) could even attempt to get it.

ron

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It was the AAU Taekwondo Union, a part of the AAU. In 1985/86 they changed the name to the United States Taekwondo Union, USTU, and then recently the name was changed again to USA Taekwondo, same organization, different DBA. This is because the all other Olympic sports use this naming convention, USA Volleyball, Boxing…etc. As an NGB it can not be taken over by another organization. It can be decertified; in that case it would be about 3 years before another organization (AAU) could even attempt to get it.

ron

Master Southwick my understanding is the NGB or USOC can name another organization the new NGB withen hours if need be. I could be wrong and usually I am.
icon7.gif
. If you could direct me in the right decission about how a NGB cannot be taken over if the USOC mandates it I wouls appreciate it.
I'm saying that AAU is going to get the hod or anybody else would like to see what all the facts are about this, uable to find it on the Olympic site and through all there paperwork.

Thank you
Terry

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
As was stated, the AAU TKD Union was originally part of the AAU, but then seperated itself from the AAU and became it's own organization, with no ties to the AAU. The AAU has always had an envolvement with martial arts in some form, since martial arts became accessable to the olympics. When the dearth of Korean instructors brought TKD to America, they sought to set up their own shop and thusly the USTU was born from this endeavor. The AAU currently has their own TKD affiliation and national championships, which the USOC, it has been said, looks upon with a favorable attitude. When the USTU fell from grace, I don't think there was a three year period where there was no NGB for TKD. If memory serves, the USAT was up and running in place of the USTU in very short order and folks made it into the next olympics without missing a step. Why would there have to be an extended time frame? The USOC names the governing body and then that body takes over. Everything is already in place, unless this should happen during the olympic trials time frame, in which case there would possibly be not enough time to make the transition phase for the athletes, but I'm sure there are probably vaulted plans for such a situation. Remember, there's big money at stake here for all concerned and that has always been a great inducement for getting things done.

MSUTKD

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Brad remember that the USAT IS the USTU. Only the officers were thrown out by the USOC. USAT is a DBA of the USTU….confusing. So, it was not a “new” organization coming in to take over. You might be right though about another organization getting control quickly. After reading the USOC bylaws another organization could apply for NGB status if a decertification has taken place. That would still take a bit of time but it is possible, however that USOC would be very careful about who and what they put in its place. Look at handball after they were decertified.

ron

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brad remember that the USAT IS the USTU. Only the officers were thrown out by the USOC. USAT is a DBA of the USTU….confusing. So, it was not a “new” organization coming in to take over. You might be right though about another organization getting control quickly. After reading the USOC bylaws another organization could apply for NGB status if a decertification has taken place. That would still take a bit of time but it is possible, however that USOC would be very careful about who and what they put in its place. Look at handball after they were decertified.

ron

Master Southwick I for one would like to say thank you for being so understanding and helpful in these matters.
Terry

MSUTKD

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Master Stoker,

I think you are really the one to be thanked here. You always post wonderful threads with great discussion material. I love MT because the MODs actually do not allow personal attacks and they try to curb “bad posting”.

The whole USAT thing is troublesome right now but if you really look into the complaints you will find that they all come from about 4 people that use anger, drama and speculation to create turmoil in the organization. Nothing is solved with that method. This does not include those who resigned; they have legitimate issues and are still very well respected. They do not try to cause destruction. They let there actions speak louder than their words, they are still professional and I think they will work this out for the good.

We have a choice as members, to help change our organization - GET INVOLVED! This is done by becoming an instructor, referee, coach, athlete or volunteer. One step at a time.

ron

p.s. Hey, I will be home (Dallas) for Christmas as was wondering what your hours were during the holidays. I would love to train at your school and meet you in person!

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Master Stoker,

I think you are really the one to be thanked here. You always post wonderful threads with great discussion material. I love MT because the MODs actually do not allow personal attacks and they try to curb “bad posting”.

The whole USAT thing is troublesome right now but if you really look into the complaints you will find that they all come from about 4 people that use anger, drama and speculation to create turmoil in the organization. Nothing is solved with that method. This does not include those who resigned; they have legitimate issues and are still very well respected. They do not try to cause destruction. They let there actions speak louder than their words, they are still professional and I think they will work this out for the good.

We have a choice as members, to help change our organization - GET INVOLVED! This is done by becoming an instructor, referee, coach, athlete or volunteer. One step at a time.

ron

p.s. Hey, I will be home (Dallas) for Christmas as was wondering what your hours were during the holidays. I would love to train at your school and meet you in person!

usally are hours are 5-45 and 545-630 beginners and interm. and 630-8 pm advance and 8-9 adults please stop by anytime, by the way you know TXBB he is one of my instructors MR. Aguon he was in cleveland refereeing.

Thank you for the kind words.
Terry

Latest Discussions