US Open

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
hows the Daedo working out? better than Lajust? Have you seen many issues with scoring? wish i was there... Good luck to all those who are.

DAEDO is a way better system once you get used to the system you start to see what scores. For those that are new to the system they might not be surprised that some of the shots don't score. Punches were scoring yesterday so allot more were being thrown. It is a different game I am seeing allot of kicks thrown that appear to be developed for the EBP SYSTEM. The IR's are doing a good job. The USAT keeps everyone in the dark on report times so you have to show up first thing.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Jr fin under 45...beat Puerto Rico 8-0. Beat Mexico 8-1 lost 3-2 on a last second head shot(crescent kick). it was heart breaking. He learned allot got two strong international fights. Beat a national team member and the b team from Mexico. He learned allot and came away with confidence. This sets him up for a strong year. He will get to train another week with the Morrocan Team lots of good things going on right now.

He lost to austin from amaa near oakland(coached by master d. Kwak). I saw that match and your fighter was in the lead til that last shot. Austin went on to lose in the semis. I just left and my 12 year old bantam lost to aruba @850pm after reporting @130.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
I see Aaron Cook took gold! That bodes well for him getting a place on the team for both Europeans in May and the Olympics this summer. I think he's the best in the division but there are those that think he won't be on the team as he's not in GB Taekwondo's full time athlete programme any more.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
I see Aaron Cook took gold! That bodes well for him getting a place on the team for both Europeans in May and the Olympics this summer. I think he's the best in the division but there are those that think he won't be on the team as he's not in GB Taekwondo's full time athlete programme any more.
Good to hear, I like Aaron cook, I like the way he fights.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
He lost to austin from amaa near oakland(coached by master d. Kwak). I saw that match and your fighter was in the lead til that last shot. Austin went on to lose in the semis. I just left and my 12 year old bantam lost to aruba @850pm after reporting @130.

That is a very similar scenario but my son fought on tuesday and lost to J. Arce from peak. He fought @14/17 fin. Still heart broken.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Cook is training with P. Remark at RST. He looked incredible. Got to meet him this weekend very nice kid. Very humble. His fight against Phillip Yun was amazing. He scored 14 points in 15 seconds when he was down 4-0. People will talk about that fight for years.

That division was ver tough had the top 3 fighters in the world in it and many more ranked fighters also. It was like the world championships.

Multiple incredible fights at the US Open this year.

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I watch Cook destroy Phillp Yun. He was just to fast for Phillip. First time seeing him fight in person. He is better than I thought.

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
My Son AJ, took Gold at the US open for his division.

AJ had 3 matches and the results are as follows:
Match 1 vs. Russia - AJ wins 7-1
Match 2 vs. USA (WA) AJ wins 13-1
Match 3 vs. Mexico - AJ wins 7-5

Mexico was tough as I had to video protest a 3 point head shot and won the protest. Had me shaking in my shoes.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score

Match 1 vs. Russia - AJ wins 7-1

Mexico was tough as I had to video protest a 3 point head shot and won the protest. Had me shaking in my shoes.
well done ATC, congratulations to you and your son.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Match 1 vs. Russia - AJ wins 7-

Great Job AJ and dad!!!!

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Congratulations to your son! Is his coach the one in the video you posted a while ago giving advice on free sparring? If so, he's excellent.

Pax,

Chris
He use to be. I now coach him. We are now back with our original master when he first started. However the Master in the video is our original masters nephew. He learned under our same master now.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I hear next year's US Open is at Las Vegas again.

taekwondodo

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yes it will be at Vegas again but Poomsae will not be offering. There will be a separate US Open Technical Championship in November.

MSUTKD

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yes it will be at Vegas again but Poomsae will not be offering. There will be a separate US Open Technical Championship in November.

That is not for sure......yet. I hope they do it and they are talking about it.

Bagehot

White Belt
Reaction score
The Rocky Mountain Open, which was the Askinas' regime's only effort to create a new event, partially to generate cash flow in the late fall, was a miserable flop.

Because of the usual list of failures of the USAT -- inadequate promotion, organizational failures, poor perception -- the tournament became simply another local Colorado tournament. That was the best the USAT could do on its own in that five year period -- create a local tournament.

Now, undertaking a patch and paste approach to salvaging something, USAT is going to ... change the name!

Kind of like how Ford saved the Edsel when they changed its name to Ferrari and everybody went out and bought one.

No, that didn't happen.

-- Bagehot

Latest Discussions