US Domestic Terrorism, Organizations and Events.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Copying here for reference.

Terrorist Attacks in the U.S.

Sources: http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0001454.html
Wikipedia.

Sept. 16, New York City:
TNT bomb planted in unattended horse-drawn wagon exploded on Wall Street opposite House of Morgan, killing 35 people and injuring hundreds more. Bolshevist or anarchist terrorists believed responsible, but crime never solved.

Jan. 24, New York City:
bomb set off in historic Fraunces Tavern killed 4 and injured more than 50 people. Puerto Rican nationalist group (FALN) claimed responsibility, and police tied 13 other bombings to the group.

Feb. 26, New York City:
bomb exploded in basement garage of World Trade Center, killing 6 and injuring at least 1,040 others. In 1995, militant Islamist Sheik Omar Abdel Rahman and 9 others were convicted of conspiracy charges, and in 1998, Ramzi Yousef, believed to have been the mastermind, was convicted of the bombing. Al-Qaeda involvement is suspected.

April 19, 1993 - Waco Texas (FBI Siege) leaves the FBI with 4 dead, 16 wounded, and the Branch Davidian's with 80 dead, 3+ wounded.

April 19, Oklahoma City:
car bomb exploded outside federal office building, collapsing wall and floors. 168 people were killed, including 19 children and 1 person who died in rescue effort. Over 220 buildings sustained damage. Timothy McVeigh and Terry Nichols later convicted in the antigovernment plot to avenge the Branch Davidian standoff in Waco, Tex., exactly 2 years earlier. (See Miscellaneous Disasters.)

Sept. 11, New York City, Arlington, Va., and Shanksville, Pa.: hijackers crashed 2 commercial jets into twin towers of World Trade Center; 2 more hijacked jets were crashed into the Pentagon and a field in rural Pa. Total dead and missing numbered 2,9921: 2,749 in New York City, 184 at the Pentagon, 40 in Pa., and 19 hijackers. Islamic al-Qaeda terrorist group blamed. (See September 11, 2001: Timeline of Terrorism.)

June 1, Little Rock, Arkansas:
Abdulhakim Muhammed, a Muslim convert from Memphis, Tennessee, is charged with shooting two soldiers outside a military recruiting center. One is killed and the other is wounded. In a January 2010 letter to the judge hearing his case, Muhammed asked to change his plea from not guilty to guilty, claimed ties to al-Qaeda, and called the shooting a jihadi attack "to fight those who wage war on Islam and Muslims."

November 5, Fort Hood : a mass shooting that took place on November 5, 2009, at Fort Hood, the most populous U.S. military installation in the world, located just outside Killeen, Texas.[1] In the course of the shooting, a single gunman killed 13 people and wounded 29 others. The sole suspect is Nidal Malik Hasan, a U.S. Army major serving as a psychiatrist.

Dec. 25:
A Nigerian man on a flight from Amsterdam to Detroit attempted to ignite an explosive device hidden in his underwear. The explosive device that failed to detonate was a mixture of powder and liquid that did not alert security personnel in the airport. The alleged bomber, Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, told officials later that he was directed by the terrorist group Al Qaeda. The suspect was already on the government's watch list when he attempted the bombing; his father, a respected Nigerian banker, had told the U.S. government that he was worried about his son's increased extremism.

May 1, New York City: a car bomb is discovered in Times Square, New York City after smoke is seen coming from a vehicle. The bomb was ignited, but failed to detonate and was disarmed before it could cause any harm. Times Square was evacuated as a safety precaution. Faisal Shahzad pleads guilty to placing the bomb as well as 10 terrorism and weapons charges.

May 10, Jacksonville, Florida:
a pipe bomb explodes while approximately 60 Muslims are praying in the mosque. The attack causes no injuries.

Oct. 29:
two packages are found on separate cargo planes. Each package contains a bomb consisting of 300 to 400 grams (11-14 oz) of plastic explosives and a detonating mechanism. The bombs are discovered as a result of intelligence received from Saudi Arabia's security chief. The packages, bound from Yemen to the United States, are discovered at en route stop-overs, one in England and one in Dubai in the United Arab Emirates.

Jan. 17, Spokane, Washington:
a pipe bomb is discovered along the route of the Martin Luther King, Jr. memorial march. The bomb, a "viable device" set up to spray marchers with shrapnel and to cause multiple casualties, is defused without any injuries.

Notable attacks associated with domestic terrorism
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domestic_terrorism_in_the_United_States#Austin_IRS_attack

Bath, Michigan Bombings
Main article: Bath School disaster
On May 18, 1927, in Bath, Michigan, a radicalist school board member named Andrew Kehoe—angry at local taxes that caused his farm to foreclose, and other government policies—set off three bombs and killed forty-five people, including thirty-eight students and seven adults.

Ludlow Massacre
Main article: Ludlow Massacre
During a strike by miners in Ludlow, Colorado, in 1914 a private security firm illegally shot at miners and later set their tent city on fire, killing four women and eleven children.

Bombing of Los Angeles Times building

Main article: Los Angeles Times bombing
The bombing of the Los Angeles Times on October 1, 1910 killed 21 people.[17] The perpetrators of this crime were the McNamara brothers (James and John McNamara), two Irish-American brothers who wanted to unionize the paper. The McNamaras became a cause célèbre amongst the labor movement in the United States, though their support eroded when they admitted their guilt.

Attacks by the Jewish Defense League

Main article: Terrorism by the Jewish Defense League
In 2004 congressional testimony, John S. Pistole, Executive Assistant Director for Counterterrorism and Counterintelligence for the Federal Bureau of Investigation described the JDL as "a known violent extremist Jewish Organization."[18] FBI statistics show that, from 1980 through 1985, there were 18 terrorist attacks in the U.S. committed by Jews; 15 of those by members of the JDL.[13] Mary Doran, an FBI agent, described the JDL in a 2004 Congressional testimony as "a proscribed terrorist group". Most recently, then-JDL Chairman Irv Rubin was jailed while awaiting trial on charges of conspiracy in planning bomb attacks against the King Fahd Mosque in Culver City, Calif., and on the office of Arab-American Congressman Darrell Issa.

Wall Street bombing

Main article: Wall Street bombing
The Wall Street bombing was a terrorist incident that occurred on September 16, 1920, in the Financial District of New York City. A horse-drawn wagon filled with 100 pounds (45 kg) of dynamite was stationed across the street from the headquarters of the J.P. Morgan Inc. bank. The explosion killed 38 and injured 400. Even though no one was found guilty, it is believed that the act was carried out by followers of Luigi Galleani.

Unabomber attacks

Main article: Theodore Kaczynski
From 1978 to 1995, Harvard University graduate and former mathematics professor Theodore "Ted" Kaczynski - known by the codename "UNABOM" until his identification and arrest by the FBI - carried out a campaign of sending letterbombs to academics and various individuals particularly associated with modern technology. In 1996, his manifesto was published in The New York Times and the Washington Post, under the threat of more attacks. The bomb campaign ended with his capture.

Oklahoma City bombing

Main article: Oklahoma City bombing
This truck bomb attack by right-wing extremists Timothy McVeigh and Terry Nichols killed 168 people – the deadliest domestic-based terrorist attack in US history and, before the September 11, 2001 attacks, the deadliest act of terrorism in US history. It inspired improvements to United States federal building security.

Centennial Olympic Park bombing

Main article: Centennial Olympic Park bombing
The Centennial Olympic Park bombing was a terrorist bombing on July 27, 1996 in Atlanta, Georgia, United States during the 1996 Summer Olympics, the first of four committed by Eric Robert Rudolph, former explosives expert for the United States Army. Two people died, and 111 were injured.

2001 anthrax attacks

Main article: 2001 anthrax attacks
The 2001 anthrax attacks in the United States occurred over the course of several weeks beginning on September 18, 2001. Letters containing anthrax spores were mailed to several news media offices and two Democratic U.S. Senators, killing five people and infecting 17 others. In mid-2008, the FBI narrowed its focus to Bruce Edwards Ivins, a scientist who worked at the government's biodefense labs at Fort Detrick in Frederick, Maryland. Ivins was told of the impending prosecution and on July 29 committed suicide, by an overdose of acetaminophen.

Holocaust Memorial Museum shooting

Main article: United States Holocaust Memorial Museum shooting
An elderly man with believed ties to neo-Nazi groups opened fire on June 10, 2009 at the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum in Washington, killing one guard. James W. Von Brunn, 88, from Maryland, reportedly entered the museum shortly before 1 p.m. EDT, took out what appeared to be a rifle and fired at a security guard. Two other security guards returned fire, striking the shooter, according to reports. Von Brunn died on January 6, 2010, while awaiting trial.

Fort Hood Shooting

Main article: Fort Hood shooting
The Fort Hood shooting was a mass shooting that took place on November 5, 2009, at Fort Hood—the most populous US military installation in the world, located just outside Killeen, Texas—in which a gunman killed 13 people and wounded 30 others.
The sole suspect is Nidal Malik Hasan, a U.S. Army major serving as a psychiatrist. He was shot by Department of the Army Civilian Police officers, and is now paralyzed from the chest down. Hasan has been charged with 13 counts of premeditated murder and 32 counts of attempted murder under the Uniform Code of Military Justice; he may face additional charges at court-martial.

Austin IRS attack

Main article: 2010 Austin plane crash
On February 18, 2010, Andrew Joseph Stack III flew his airplane into the IRS building in Austin, TX killing one other person and injuring many more in an act of lone wolf terrorism. He cited many reasons for his grievance against the government of the United States as well as other facets of the country such as bailout of financial institutions, politicians in general, conglomerate companies of General Motors, Enron and Arthur Andersen, labor unions, drug and health care insurance companies, and the Catholic Church. He added a meeting with a poor widow who never got pension benefits she was promised, the effect of the Tax Reform Act of 1986 on engineers, the September 11 attacks airline bailouts that only benefited the airlines but not the suffering engineers, how a Certified Public Accountant he hired seemed to side with the government to take extra tax money from him, criticism of the FAA and the George W. Bush administration were reasons for him to call for violent revolt.

Murder of George Tiller

Main article: Assassination of George Tiller
On May 31, 2009, George Tiller, a physician from Wichita, Kansas who was nationally known for being one of the few doctors in the United States to perform late-term abortions, was shot and killed by Scott Roeder, an anti-abortion activist. Tiller was killed during a Sunday morning service at his church, where he was serving as an usher. Multiple action groups and media figures have labeled Tiller's killing an act of domestic terrorism and an assassination.
Roeder was arrested within three hours of the shooting and charged with first-degree murder and related crimes two days later. In November 2009 Roeder publicly confessed to the killing, telling the Associated Press that he had shot Tiller because "preborn children's lives were in imminent danger." Roeder was found guilty of first-degree murder and two counts of aggravated assault on January 29, 2010,and sentenced to life without parole for 50 years on April 1, 2010.

Gabrielle Giffords assassination attempt

Main article: 2011 Tucson shooting
On January 8, 2011, Giffords was shot in the head outside a Safeway grocery store in Casas Adobes, Arizona, a suburban area northwest of Tucson, during her first "Congress on Your Corner" gathering of the year. Nineteen people were shot, of whom six died, when a man ran up to the crowd and began firing. The suspect, identified as Jared Lee Loughner, was detained by bystanders until he was taken into police custody. Federal officials charged Loughner on the next day with killing federal government employees, attempting to assassinate a member of Congress and attempting to kill federal employees.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Summary

1990-2011
Islamic attacks = 7
Non-Islamic = 9

Feb. 26, New York City: Islamic Terrorist
April 19, 1993 - Non-Islamic

April 19, Oklahoma City: Non-Islamic

Sept. 11, New York City, Arlington, Va., and Shanksville, Pa.:
Islamic

June 1, Little Rock, Arkansas: Islamic
November 5, Fort Hood : Islamic
Dec. 25: Underwear Bomber - Islamic

May 1, New York City: Islamic
May 10, Jacksonville, Florida: Non-Islamic
Oct. 29:Islamic

Jan. 17, Spokane, Washington: Non-Islamic

Others
Unabomber attacks - Non-Islamic
Centennial Olympic Park bombing - Non-Islamic
2001 anthrax attacks - Non-Islamic
Austin IRS attack - Non-Islamic
Murder of George Tiller - Non-Islamic

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
you go all the way back to 1920, and the muslims have done almost as much in 30 years as everyone else has in 90

you made my case quite well Bob, thanks

just admit it, the threat is real. It may be small but it is real

the kkk? essestially harmless for the last 40 years, the PEOPLE turned thier back on the Klan, and without that, the klan is pretty much no more. Interesting fact, there are more klan in the north than the south these days

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The threat of an earthquake is also real.
Tornado too.

Pick a year as a cut off point. I'd suggest 1990.
Then lets take a real look at the data and see. My opinion is, it's a 50/50 thing on if any act of terrorism in the US today is from an islamic or non-islamic source.

But. Lets lay out the data, analyze it, and see.

Or, do you want to stick to your preconceived idea?

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Or, do you want to stick to your preconceived idea?

Certain events stick out in the mind more than others - perceptions are biased. Even mine. I had assumed there had been more Islamic events in the past few years, but then I got to thinking about all the standard white guy terrorism I had forgotten about - Scott Roeder (murdered abortion doc), George Sodhini (shot up a women's gym), James Von Brunn (shot up the Holocaust museum), Andrew Stack (flew a plane into an IRS building) - there have been more than a few of these guys recently, but we tend to forget about them.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
your data supports my idea.

cuz here is the thing:

you got muslims in one row, EVERYONE else in the other, which includes the anti abortion types(tillers killer), the anti government types(Ok City) the one time non political cooks (atlanta)

i dont think you meant to, but what you did was show that muslim groups are almost as violent as EVERYONE ELSE COMBINED

I feel pretty good about my ideas Bob

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I organized islamic vs non-islamic.
Doesn't support your theory, other than to say there IS a concern, which I've agreed with.

Here's my suggestion. Go find more cases, from both sides and add to the data. Lets look at it, and see what it says AFTER we get it as complete as we can. I'm open to seeing where it really goes.
Are you?

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Of course the threat is real. I don't know anyone who thinks it isn't.

There is also a threat - and I think a more dangerous one - from the IDIOTS who insist on making everything about Islam. They're not interested in discussing anything terroristic that non-Muslims do; that's not on their agenda. And frankly, they want - they pray - for a world-wide religious war - everyone against the Muslims. Those people are scary to me, TF. They're more scary than the very real Islamic terrorists.

But this tactic you're using is part of the usual big lie - if I don't agree that Muslim Terrorists are the only thing we can talk about, then OBVIOUSLY I think Muslim Terrorists are not a threat at all. IT IS NOT BLACK AND WHITE.

But you can't tell an extremist that. For them, things are never gray.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
truth be told, here in texas, i worry more about american leftists than muslims. But that doesnt mean that I dont watch the people around me, but i dont watch JUST the muslims, but they do get a second look.

doesnt get much more fair than that

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the interests of fairness:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrorism_in_the_United_States

Islamic Extremism

More than 80% of all convictions tied to international terrorist groups and homegrown terrorism since 9/11 involve defendants driven by a radical Islamist agenda, a review of Department of Justice statistics shows.[72]
Though Muslims represent about 1% of the American population, they constitute defendants in 186 of the 228 cases DOJ lists

This would seem to bear out Twin Fists position at this time.

My view in these matters is as always, unbiased research and review of information, with an openness to reconsider my positions should the evidence and data point in those directions.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
you go all the way back to 1920, and the muslims have done almost as much in 30 years as everyone else has in 90

you made my case quite well Bob, thanks

the kkk? essestially harmless for the last 40 years, the PEOPLE turned thier back on the Klan, and without that, the klan is pretty much no more. Interesting fact, there are more klan in the north than the south these days
The only reason that the Klan and other white supremacists organizations have been fairly ineffective of late is luck. We've been lucky enough that there hasn't been an effective, charismatic leader to pull 'em together. The Klan, in various forms, remains active.

Terrorism is simply not a simple thing. The best definition I'm aware of is this: Terrorism is the calculated use of force or threatened force to obtain goals that are political, religious, ideological, or social in nature. Terrorist targets are selected for symbolic purposes, visibility, or shock value -- not the direct relationship to the goals.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you read the DoHS Daily Report, you quickly see that there is an escalating situation with regard to domestic extremists in the US. From the guy a couple days ago who called in a threat to do violence at a high school because they had a security drill which posited a right-wing extremist attack (he threated to make it come true), to the roaring nutjob that flew a plane into a government building a couple years ago, the fringe is getting revved up to commit some serious domestic terrorism.

And yet, days after THREE separate incidents on planes in the USA, the only one the right-wing nutjobs want to talk about is the one with the Muslim involved.

I haven't seen one denial of this; and yet they insist they are not obsessed, not fixated, and they'll pay lip service to the notion that not all Muslims are terrorists; and then attempt to 'prove' just the opposite. All they want is war with the wrong enemy. Their hatred sickens me.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm seeing a lot of 'copy cat' activities in the news right now. Wastes LEO's when they need to focus on real threats, not attention seekers.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm seeing a lot of 'copy cat' activities in the news right now. Wastes LEO's when they need to focus on real threats, not attention seekers.

It blows me away to read how many times an envelope with a 'suspicious white powder' is being received at various government offices. Like daily. Doesn't even make the headline news anymore! All bogus, of course; but you can't tell me that's not a form of domestic terrorism. These disgruntled extremists who are unhappy with Obama or this or that politician decide that the way to express themselves is not to call or write their elected reps, but to put a pinch of talcum powder in an envelope and mail it to the person they like the least. That'll teach 'em, eh?

We seem to be moving more and more into a mode of making threats and terrorizing people as a form of expression of our dissatisfaction. I worry about what comes next.

Think I'm lying?

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=whit...wn&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=b85ec02c22f7eb69

Wow, huh?

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I appreciate you bringing this to our attention. I had no idea.

I subscribe to this newsletter:

http://www.dhs.gov/files/programs/editorial_0542.shtm

I get a daily email and download the latest PDF file. It is basically news items of interest to Homeland Security. Some of it I am not that interested in; flooding, chemical spills, bank managers arrested for embezzling, etc. However, it also contains things that hit the radar of the BATF and other internal security organizations; pipe bombs, white powder in envelopes, threats against elected officials, bomb threats, actual possible terrorist incidents, etc.

I started reading this a few months ago. What surprised me was how many people appear to be engaged in making threats against elected officials and how many seem to be mailing out envelopes with talcum powder (or some other similar non-dangerous content) in them. This *is* terrorism! Just because the powder is not actually anthrax, the incidents are intended to cause panic and fear - that's terror. It appears that's mostly being conducted by grumpy old American-native men with a grudge against the government. I'm sorry, but this is domestic terrorism, like it or not. It makes the news - kind of - but no one is putting the pieces together and noticing that it is a nearly DAILY event! Crazy, huh?

I recommend subscribing to this daily government report. It's your tax dollars being spent to gather this data, and it's not secret stuff. But it's also not widely reported in the press.

I like to seek sources of news whenever possible, instead of just relying on FOX or NPR.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think Bob left out a few groups out of his list of terror acts.
Certainly leftist and completely crazy, those nuts with not so secret backing from PETS...ALF and ELF...they cause a good deal of damage and aim to disrupt normal life.

Like the bombing of a forestry research station, destroying 70 years worth of research,
or those lovely folks that drive spikes in trees, possibly causing a lumberjack to lose an arm or worse...

Latest Discussions