upnorthkyosa in kiwiland

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I just wanted to let everyone know that right now, I am typing this thread from a large internet cafe in Auckland New Zealand. So far, this has been a pretty sweet vacation. My parents agreed to watch the kids and its just me, my wife and another couple. Even the flights have been good. They were mostly smooth and people were well behaved and I even managed to get some sleep last night as I was crossing the Pacific.

I don't know if I'll be able to get back online to update people when I get back, but I will make sure to post some pictures of our trip in this thread when I have time.

Anyway, just trying to make ya'll jealous...

upnorthkyosa

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
wife ?

another couple?

Leaves me thinking there may not be any brown trout in your immediate future. I hear they grow them big down there.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
wife ?

another couple?

Leaves me thinking there may not be any brown trout in your immediate future. I hear they grow them big down there.

:lfao: I'm glad somebody else thinks like I do. A vacation is the PERFECT time to pack a rod or two and find something new in whatever area you are going to.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
By the way ...

If you do get to fish in New Zealand, before you fish again at home, please research 'Didymo' (aka Rock Snot) (Yes, that is an accurate psuedonym).

This is an plant organism that is creating some serious challenges to the fisheries of New Zealand. The plant will grow thick over the base of the waterway, preventing all aquatic insect life from completing their natural life cycles. It can kill a healthy aquatic habitat pretty quickly.

Several of our more pristine rivers in Northern New England have just discovered infestations.

Before putting your gear in local waters, you must be certain to kill all of the didymo cells that may be on your gear.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay I am jealous.
icon14.gif

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
wife ?

another couple?

Heh. Yesterday, I chartered a boat on Lake Taupo and managed to catch four nice rainbow trout. My wife caught two and one of hers was the biggest. I'll post pics in the usual thread when I get back.

And, yes they do get big down here. Real big... ;)

In a few days, I'll be heading to the south island and then we'll really get some action!!!

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
By the way ...

If you do get to fish in New Zealand, before you fish again at home, please research 'Didymo' (aka Rock Snot) (Yes, that is an accurate psuedonym).

This is an plant organism that is creating some serious challenges to the fisheries of New Zealand. The plant will grow thick over the base of the waterway, preventing all aquatic insect life from completing their natural life cycles. It can kill a healthy aquatic habitat pretty quickly.

Several of our more pristine rivers in Northern New England have just discovered infestations.

Before putting your gear in local waters, you must be certain to kill all of the didymo cells that may be on your gear.

Biosecurity in NZ and the US are on the lookout for that. I've got a spraybottle with some disinfectant for all of my gear before I get home. I was in Turangi this morning on the Tongiriro and the NZ Dept of Conservation had billboards up letting anglers know about this stuff.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Just wanted to let everyone know that I'm posting this from a hostel in Downtown Wellington. This has been a great trip so far. Lots of hiking and fishing for me and anyone else who is interested and lots of other things to do as well.

Wellington is a pretty cool city from what I've seen of it. It's very beautiful and almost everything there is to do is free. This is NZ's capitol city, so, just like in DC, there is lots to do.

Tomorrow, I'll be hitting Te Papa, the national museum and then going out for some most excellent sushi at a sushi dai recommended by my fantastic kiwi friends.

After that, it's off to the south island. I'll be fishing in Rohan in a few days...

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Glad you're enjoying yourself, Upnorth ... and, yes, I am jealous ... very! :D

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The time difference is so weird. I just talked to my children and they've been up for most of the day already. In fact, its 4 pm, YESTERDAY. I told my daughter..."Hi Olivia, this is your father calling...from the future."

She thought that was pretty cool. Then she told me that she has another loose tooth.

I thought that was pretty cool.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, I'm in Christchurch right now and I may be on the verge of scoring a free night at a hunting and fishing lodge way up in the mountains on one of the best rivers in Queenstown. The internet rocks, man! Just start talking to people and BAM stuff starts happening.

The hostel we are staying at in Christchurch is very busy. Lots of college kids who are out very late having a bit of fun. It brings me all back to those days and reminds me that I don't think I could keep that pace up anymore.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What are the hostels like? Your own room? Safe? Cheap?

We are hoping to come down there in about February and would like to bring our scuba gear. Just wondering if the hostels might be a good place to stay, but security is an issue when we are dragging all our gear around.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sounds like you are having a great time! So glad to hear the trip is going well. Hope you bring back lots of pix :D

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What are the hostels like? Your own room? Safe? Cheap?

We are hoping to come down there in about February and would like to bring our scuba gear. Just wondering if the hostels might be a good place to stay, but security is an issue when we are dragging all our gear around.

The hostels are a crap shoot. I would take the normal precautions that I would take in any place here. People are people and they are always capable of doing the negative things that they are capable of. As far as the hostels go, it all depends on the amount of time the owners are willing to spend on security. I wouldn't trust thousands of dollars of equipment to a cheap lock...

Latest Discussions