Unjustified Self-Esteem on the Rise

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20756247

This gels closely with what I have seen in my grumpy-old-man observations over the passing years i.e. a decline in humility and a rocketing of unfounded self-aggrandising amongst each generation of graduates we see through our doors. Being confident is one thing, thinking you're Gods Gift to engineering when you actually know very little is quite another.

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:grins: I won't deny it :). It's the old adage that runs true of how idealism becomes tempered with the passing of years and how pragmatism holds greater sway the older you get :nods:.

We often come to verbal crossing of swords on here (Martial Talk), Bill; but we do agree more than you might think sometimes - I have no objection to someone having strong political opinions ('vanilla' all the time is bad for the soul after all). I just get disheartened by the lack of actual 'discourse'. That's what rubs me up the wrong way and causes me to be less even-tempered than I should be when I respond.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Well my incredibly power of humility tells me I can’t just come out and say how incredibly awesome and gifted I am because that would be arrogance and that would be a fault and…of course I have none... so I should likely not comment further since…of course...no other comment would mesure up to mine :mst: :D

Seriously, that is an interesting article and does make sense. You very rarely see a highly successful person with self-esteem issues who doubts thier abiities

GrandmasterP

Green Belt
Reaction score
Feminization of primary education. Kids being taught to emote , nobody 'fails' simply has 'deferred success' and they are all taught to be stars in their own little movie.
Bring back national service and the birch.

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You very rarely see a highly successful person with self-esteem issues who doubts thier abiities

That us very true...the problem comes up with the students who don't have "abilities," because as GrandmasterP points out, they haven't been properly educated, but they really think they are awsome...because everyone keeps telling them they are. Later, in the real world, where fiction meets reality...you have major adjustment problems that aren't the fault of the kid...but they still have to deal with the consequences. The "adults," who put them in that position simply continue to churn out more and more of these poor kids, and they need to be called out on this by local communities in these schools.

GrandmasterP

Green Belt
Reaction score
Rights and no responsibilities along with 'me me' entitlement.
Articulating feelings validated above buckling down and working.
I work in teacher education and for every man applying to teach in primary (elementary) in England there are five women.
English kids can go from age five to age eleven without once coming into contact with a positive male role model at school and not a few of them don't have one at home either. Women are great teachers but there are certain nuances that male teachers bring to the job that all kids miss out on if there are no male teachers in the school.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That us very true...the problem comes up with the students who don't have "abilities," because as GrandmasterP points out, they haven't been properly educated, but they really think they are awsome...because everyone keeps telling them they are. Later, in the real world, where fiction meets reality...you have major adjustment problems that aren't the fault of the kid...but they still have to deal with the consequences. The "adults," who put them in that position simply continue to churn out more and more of these poor kids, and they need to be called out on this by local communities in these schools.

jails are full of the people who have the ego, but not the skills...

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It started here with Thatcher and her 'greed is good' mentality, where everybody whould own property, have the biggest car, the biggest bank account and everybody should be for themselves. There's nothing wrong with house ownership of course but it was the way it was promoted that if you didn't own your own house you were nobody. There had, for a long time in this country, been council housing, perfectly respectable, it was for working class people who didn't earn quite enough to buy but did the vital jobs this country needed doing. Thatcher came along sold off the council houses and made them seem like they were for losers, the artisan jobs that are important were dismissed as also being for losers with a result that young people no longer wanted to be car mechanics, plumbers, carpenters etc ( though this had a good effect for the few who did as these trades are now scarce and can demand high payments). Apprenticeships were phased out, manufacturing run down, the coal mines closed, the steel works shut down, everyone was supposed to be earning money on computers somehow. No one wanted a job where you got your hands dirty as everyone was entitled to a good living doing clean work, the trouble is there isn't enough jobs to go around so the unemployed get more disaffected and feel they should be having more, after the government said they should. This is the legacy of Thatcher's reign as Queen of the Conservatives.

GrandmasterP

Green Belt
Reaction score
You got that right Tez plus New Labour (old Tories) daft idea of trying to shoehorn 50% of school-leavers into university.
These new apprenticeships are a good idea if only we had more firms still working out there to take the young people on.
Engineering central it was round here back in the day, not a single engineering works left within twenty miles of us today.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think one of the worse things is that a lot of people have had passed to them a disdain of working with their hands. I've always admired people who could make things things as many others did, craftspeople were well regarded but now sadly looked down on. This 'gentrification' of the country Maggie set her mind to was always going to lead to tears in the end. Education should be there for everyone, university should be available for everyone but it doesn't suit everyone, having a trade is as good if not better sometimes. Everyone is different, working with your hands should not be looked down on, far from it. However I'm guessing that if you put as many young people into college and university as you can it delays them going on the unemployment lists and makes the figures look less.
Young people didn't all of a sudden become this way, it's whats been happening to them for a while now, we owe our children better than this.

Latest Discussions